Dark Souls

patsu

Legend
It's made by the Demon's Souls team.

Saw this on GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25720882&postcount=1

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
- The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

Edit: More details added.

- The character creation process will not be class based.
- The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
- You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
- There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
- Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

They should tone down the PvP if they are building a large, seamless world. In Demon's Souls, at least you can find safe haven in the Nexus.

EDIT: Ah, source is here:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

Images from the Famitsu article:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25745322&postcount=501

vnlrC.jpg

In Demon's Souls, armor is only useful for basic protection, magic and some environmental effects. They won't be effective against powerful enemies. Agility and (lock-on) skills count more. :cool: !

Choice of weapons vs the terrain and your playstyle is important too.

EDIT: I should add that you feel heavy because your equipment is more than half your weight limit. When you level up enough, the same set of armor should not hinder you anymore.

In Demon's Souls, armor is only useful for basic protection, magic and some environmental effects. They won't be effective against powerful enemies. Agility and skills count more. :cool: !

Choice of weapons vs the terrain and your play style is important too.

Was at a friend for a brief moment.
So i played like only 30 min or so couldn't even defeat the first tutorial boss:cry: Maybe when this is closer to release i will buy Demonsouls.

Ha ha, few people can defeat the tutorial boss first time round. You're meant to die there and go to the Nexus.

You're supposed to learn your place in the game's universe. A few powerful enemies/monsters roam the beginning level too. They are hard/tedious to defeat. Avoiding contact or running away is a valid strategy/tactics in Demon's Souls, unless it's a boss battle.

I wonder how the PVP will work without the hub because the black phantom player used to spawn way back at the beginning of a level by the archstone.

In Demon's Souls, armor is only useful for basic protection, magic and some environmental effects. They won't be effective against powerful enemies. Agility and (lock-on) skills count more. :cool: !

Choice of weapons vs the terrain and your playstyle is important too.

EDIT: I should add that you feel heavy because your equipment is more than half your weight limit. When you level up enough, the same set of armor should not hinder you anymore.

The problem is that even the heaviest armor set in DS is next to useless, especially in new game+. You are much better off spending your souls elsewhere. It just isn't worth the heavy cost, which is rather discouraging for melee builds.

Knowing very little about this game, I can already say I will 100% buy it.

Edit: I hope they make it easier to play with friends, but if they don't, I'll still get it.

I wonder how the PVP will work without the hub because the black phantom player used to spawn way back at the beginning of a level by the archstone.

Yes, this is one of the things I fear when I see the "exploration" and "seamless world" keywords. PvP can ruin the experience when left unchecked. It's the only time I had to turn off my PS3 after a game. My heart was pounding too loudly after the first unexpected invasion.

Matchmaking i would love to have that something like wow arena.

I suppose. Demon's Souls experience is usually integrated into the game world… like the messages on the floor, the ghosts from other players, etc. I hope they think harder and come up with something different.

The problem is that even the heaviest armor set in DS is next to useless, especially in new game+. You are much better off spending your souls elsewhere. It just isn't worth the heavy cost, which is rather discouraging for melee builds.

I think people pick the armor that give them the best protection against magic, fire or poison. Without them it can be hard to navigate a world.

If the armor is too safe to use, the Demon's Souls formula may not work. I love the very deliberate combat moves (One wrong move may cost your life).

EDIT: For PvP builds, I think some players simply forgo armor and optimize for speed and double blades.

In NG+, you should be able to carry a fair amount of weight.

Even if you have the best armor, it's difficult to defend against phantoms who can roll and backstab quickly.

Thanks, patsu, for the heads up!

I will get this for sure, great that it will come this year. But this will also mean that I have to update my profile "shout" from "Sparkly, Twinkly". :)

My PS3 died a week ago with YLOD, but I am already looking forward to this!

Cheers...

Sparkly, Twinkly

Ha ha, that crow girl made me jump down the cliff. Thought she's yet another demon I needed to fight, and she sounded like she's standing right behind me (Read user message: "Behind You !!!").

EDIT:
patsu said:
Even if you have the best armor, it's difficult to defend against phantoms who can roll and backstab quickly.

For people who over-rely on armor… this is what may happen:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25746775&postcount=114

It's safer to take preventive measure, or roll to safety (if still possible :LOL: !)…[size=-2]or try your very best to strike down the enemies with minimal damage.[/size]

My most anticapated title for the year...and thats saying alot with all the big titles coming out R3, GeOW3, K3 and C2.

Back