Intel Recall on 6-series, Cougar Point SATA, Sandy Bridge Chipset Recalled

It is entertaining, yes. ;)

Actually I'm fairly amazed that this kind of flaw got past their quality control.... Heads must be rolling over there.

It seems to have been a late "addition" to the chipsets, so it's possible most of the QC testing was done before then.

BTW did someone already point out the irony that intel killed all their chipset competition and now has no chipsets to sell their processors? I find it humorous.

The situation doesn't look as severe as atleast I first thought. They are now continuing to ship faulty chipsets to OEMs, who commits not to use the problematic SATA-ports in their computers, also it seems Intel is going to start shipping fixed chipsets next week.

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...rt-chip-design-issue?cid=rss-258152-c1-264281

Intel is resuming shipments of the Intel® 6 Series Chipset.

Only computer makers who have committed to shipping the Intel® 6 Series Chipset in PC system configurations that are not impacted by the design issue will be receiving these shipments.

In parallel, Intel has started manufacturing on a new version of this support chip. Intel now expects to begin shipping the new parts in mid February.

I wonder how far that green light stretches. Does it allow OEM systems to ship that come equipped and only specified to supporting only 1-2 SATA drives without having to butcher the additional SATA connectors? If so, it could save those OEMs and by-proxy Intel some money from having to rework anything.

I foresee the faulty chipsets being resold into the grey market with less scrupulous vendors using them as if they were flawless. This will cause failures later on just like the bad capacitor issue. Someone remember to revisit this issue in a couple of years.

Isn't that kind of backwards from what one would want today?
Asrock should have made and 1156 chipset board that accepts 1155 cpus :)

Yeah and this Asrock marketing guy does not make too much sense, even if he tries hard :)
(3m07s and onward he tries to provide some reasoning)

Last edited by a moderator:
Asrock boards are always fun to read about. Nothing is normal over there.

Core 2 boards using 865PE so they have DDR1 support and AGP.
Socket 939 boards with AGP and PCIe and AM2 riser upgrade cards

It all seems unnatural but at the same time it's magical!

Heh, I had one of the Socket 939 boards with both AGP and PCIE. Was great at the time as my budget was really tight. Allowed me to upgrade base components and reuse my existing high end card instead of replacing everything all at once. Thing ran on the ULi chipset before Nvidia bought them up. I was pretty impressed with the stability and quality of the ULi chipset. Shame they are gone.

Regards,
SB

http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+to+Intel+Your+Chipset+Woes+are+Helping+Us/article20870.htm

Not surprisingly, AMD is profiting greatly from Intel's gaffe according to Fox Business News. "We have some customers and retailers who have come to us specifically as a result of Intel's chip problem," stated AMD exec Leslie Sobon. "Some retailers have had to take things off their shelves, so they call us to ask what they could get from our OEMs that's similar. And OEMs are asking us for product, as well."
Way to rub it in AMD.... anyone remember the Barcelona [edit: was it Agena and not Barcelone that had the bug?] TLB bug?

Last edited by a moderator:
Until Bulldozer ships and beats Sandy Bridge AMD is just talking trash for no good reason IMHO.

Until Bulldozer ships and beats Sandy Bridge AMD is just talking trash for no good reason IMHO.

Agreed 100%. I don't think that was a good move for AMD.
And what exactly did AMD gain? Probably less than 1% in marketshare whereas if AMD slip up with Bulldozer they have a hell of a lot more to lose.

what about they release their AM3+ platform at least, so we don't have to buy an outdated mobo.
I'm not a fan of the disparition of competition for AMD chipsets either (can't tell a difference between a 770 and a 870 chipset, lack of really cheap full ATX boards)

at least there's no discrimination on advanced features (both 64bit and VT on ontario/zacate, IOMMU on all 9xx chipsets)
Intel doesn't want you to build a server with dual core Atom, 64bit, VT, 4-8 GB ram, it wants you to buy a core i3 and overpriced motherboard instead.

Somebody elsewhere brought up a good point.

SB isn't exactly a significant amount of Intel product volume so it's probably not even remotely as damaging as it seems. It's a PR problem though.

Even without SB they still have offerings superior to everything AMD sells....

I guess that's really the sad thing though, isn't it? The upper echelon of Intel's 'old' non-SB equipment is still capable of curb-stomping anything that AMD sells. I mean, talking trash is great, but it's more like Toyota talking trash to Ferrari. "Yeah your F430 catches in fire hahahahaha -- people are totally coming in droves to buy Camrys now, and you should TOTALLY see our new Sienna SUV!"

Wait, what?

Talk shit when you have something to back it up, AMD :)

Except Toyota owns Ferrari :)

If AMD sold that much more than intel they would be having caviar parties and dancing through the night not freaking out.

Somebody elsewhere brought up a good point.

SB isn't exactly a significant amount of Intel product volume so it's probably not even remotely as damaging as it seems. It's a PR problem though.

Even without SB they still have offerings superior to everything AMD sells....

I should hope not, if there were a lot of ME running around, this would be a really odd world. ;)

Except Toyota owns Ferrari :)

Ermm, you mean Fiat, right? :)

Regards,
SB

So back on the topic sort of, will this effect the lga2011 chipsets? I did not notice that. I wonder b/c I want a hex core not a quad core if I go intel. Are those coming in August or what?

I'd be surprised if Intel repeats this particular mistake with the LGA2011 chipset, especially as that's meant primarily for the business world with some ethusiast bleed off.

Regards,
SB

Back