Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Seems like a long shot. :-/

I agree information management (e.g., folders/categorization, search, sync, import/export) is critically lacking in Vita. Integration between apps could also be improved (e.g., screenshot --> image editing --> upload --> forward link to people --> check stats). But Sony typically has no sense of urgency for this sort of things.

PSP was released in Dec 2004/Mar 2005, but MediaGo finally debuted in Spring 2009 (4 years !). The broken PS3 web browser took 6 years to fix.

EDIT: Let's see how serious the new SNE management is in software supremacy and usability. ^_^

With the PSP at least we had 3rd parties fixing the problems sony had with the system. Now we gotta pray sony fixes these problems quickly or someone hacks the system and fixes them for sony . I don't want to wait 4 years for my vita to become usable.

With all due respect, but the Vita is currently also useable, and pretty good at its core task. And let's not forget that Apple took until iOS4 to introduce folders, but as I recall the device was a pretty big success even before it implemented default file type handlers and copy paste. And all those are features I've found much more important in my phone. I actually refused to consider iPhone myself until copy paste was implemented. Didn't even god-tier OS builder Microsoft release its first Windows Phone OS version without copy paste support? ;)

That's not to say I don't want all of this though, just as I very, very much want Youtube and yes, a browser mode that can take all the system memory it likes when I'm not running a game.

I guess for the Vita I'm still marveling much more on how much it got right on day one versus how much it gets wrong. ;) (wven if I approve of various lists of improvements on Neogaf!)

With the PSP at least we had 3rd parties fixing the problems sony had with the system. Now we gotta pray sony fixes these problems quickly or someone hacks the system and fixes them for sony . I don't want to wait 4 years for my vita to become usable.

Some of the issues can be overcome by PS Suite SDK or a native app, but basic OS features like game saves handling probably need to be addressed by Sony and the developers.

With all due respect, but the Vita is currently also useable, and pretty good at its core task. And let's not forget that Apple took until iOS4 to introduce folders, but as I recall the device was a pretty big success even before it implemented default file type handlers and copy paste. And all those are features I've found much more important in my phone. I actually refused to consider iPhone myself until copy paste was implemented. Didn't even god-tier OS builder Microsoft release its first Windows Phone OS version without copy paste support? ;)

That's not to say I don't want all of this though, just as I very, very much want Youtube and yes, a browser mode that can take all the system memory it likes when I'm not running a game.

I guess for the Vita I'm still marveling much more on how much it got right on day one versus how much it gets wrong. ;) (wven if I approve of various lists of improvements on Neogaf!)

As long as Sony show tangible and reasonable progress, I think it should be fine. Apple and MS are not perfect too, but they execute fast and predictably. In the PSP case, Sony completely ignored it for the first 2-3 years. In PS3's case, no one outside knows what's the plan, and the firmware patches were not so focused (They added stuff no one needed).

So far, I'd say Vita is a delight to use. If Sony could mob up the loose ends, it would go a long way to make Playstation an attractive platform.

didn't Kaz said from now on they will focus more on user experience and high lighting what they are doing with their current phone UI . I hope they will update the Vita OS enough. The stock browser can stay, they just need to update it to support multi tasking support and find text function so we can use gamefaqs + game at the same time. And hopefully, Mozilla or google will port chrome or firefox over to the platform with full html5 support even if it doesn't support multi tasking.

I am still waiting for my icecream sandwich update for my Xperia Play!
I know its kind of irrelevant, but knowing that this is a firmware update of something that is already out there, I wonder how active Sony will be with its Vita updates

didn't Kaz said from now on they will focus more on user experience and high lighting what they are doing with their current phone UI . I hope they will update the Vita OS enough. The stock browser can stay, they just need to update it to support multi tasking support and find text function so we can use gamefaqs + game at the same time. And hopefully, Mozilla or google will port chrome or firefox over to the platform with full html5 support even if it doesn't support multi tasking.

Yes, in his first interview after he became President, Kaz did acknowledge software as a key focus. I remember reading another article about Sony's new focus on software but I lost the link. -_-

As they say, teh proof is in the pudding !

I am still waiting for my icecream sandwich update for my Xperia Play!
I know its kind of irrelevant, but knowing that this is a firmware update of something that is already out there, I wonder how active Sony will be with its Vita updates

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/02/2...s-android-ics-beta-rom-for-2011-xperia-range/

So yesterday I spent all day trying to find a USB plug that would charge my vita. I had the cable with me but not the charging portion. It apparently will only charge on a pc if its off. It would not charge off our verizon tunner box although the ipad 3 does , it would not charge off my car charger although the ipad 3 will and it wouldn't charge off most of our phone charger plugs.

The AC power adapter sony sells is huge and doesn't fit with a portable system at all , its almost as big as the vita itself and I don't understand why Sony did this.

Other than that i'm enjoyign the system alot . I don't have any full games yet just demos but I'm going to get ghost and goblins from the store today and prob castlevania x

About the Vita USB cable...
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26419/PS+Vita+USB+Mod.html

Had my PS Vita since the launch in Japan and am starting to like it a lot! Lots of eye candy graphics and decent games are starting to come out. But, the PS Vita comes with a lousy feature that prevents you from charging the unit unless you use the adapter it came with. This means that you cant charge it from a Mac/PC USB port or even an iPhone/iPad USB mains adapter.

Being a portable games machine, it becomes particularly annoying that you cant use any USB battery packs to charge it either. Unacceptable! But rather than complain, lets do something about it because complaining never brings about results - only action leads to results and results happen even quicker if you take action yourself.

Today we will see how I made a simple mod that enables you to charge the PS Vita from any USB power source.

The magic seems to be in the USB charging cable, not the adaptor itself.

About the Vita USB cable...
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26419/PS+Vita+USB+Mod.html

The magic seems to be in the USB charging cable, not the adaptor itself.
The magic is still in the charger; if it was just the cable, you could plug it into any USB charger and it would work. I notice he doesn't go into charging times since the Vita charger puts out at least twice the amps of a regular USB charger. The Vita might report that it's charging, but it might not charge very quickly.

I have one of these now and the games are good, its hit n miss mainly due to my own likes and dislikes, but I use it more for games than the PS3 currently.

But there are a couple of things that I do not like

1. The login to PSN to play games etc, it doesnt do it when in flight mode, but when you are on crap connection, ie bad 3G link. Then it takes for ages to login and you have to wait for it. Why? Just boot up the game logon to a network and login to PSN in the background, why make me wait for it? I do not want to know, at all. Just do it out of the way.

2. Browser is a joke, compared to my Android Galaxy Nexus, even with the old browser, but with the Chrome beta, its not even the same sport.

3. My old PSP games are not transferable :(

Those are my main gripes, but this is a pure breed gaming machine its not a tablet/surfpad etc. And I think the core gamers love it, but I fear that is a segment that have become small, question is if Sony can make it profitable anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
the children will decide the future, so I shall use perfect marketing strategy.

balance between price, technology and desire, popularity and zeal or loyalty. Once branded never undone.

It worked when I tried it on apple as it was related to serial experiments lain, my all time favorite series whose real corporate representation is apple. knights.

Quant algorithms can be overcome and manipulated, the market will fluctuate as asymptotic valuation is attempted.

as for me I'll get a psp go and hack that as it is under 90 dollars now, and I'm told the community has nice how tos. Vita will be bought depending on circumstantial eventualities, such as hacking from the community, and third party cheap memory cards.

Flash games and many online games are free, so are many apps, to compete with practically infinite high quality free you must also be free and rely on advertising like tv programing, come face to face with piracy or face failure by popular vote or behavior.

Many humans, probably most, still also prefer simple 2d games to complex 3d games. So you're selling a product desired by a minority at an unacceptable price for the majority only media frenzy, advertising and word of mouth keeps AAA high price brands going.

Note also that all sorts of social interactions such as video tele calls are competing for time as is an infinity of pre-existing and novel content. And time is all you get, unless someone starts collecting and creating an unplayed backlog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are my main gripes, but this is a pure breed gaming machine its not a tablet/surfpad etc. And I think the core gamers love it, but I fear that is a segment that have become small, question is if Sony can make it profitable anyway.

For reasons unknown some children in school have asked their parents for vita, maybe possibility of AAA brand name games from ps3, which they likely've played and value more than mere free app, free associates with dirt or low value merely for costing no effort to obtain it is devalued, hard to obtain and more advanced is prefer as status symbol obtainable through more effort.

The magic is still in the charger; if it was just the cable, you could plug it into any USB charger and it would work. I notice he doesn't go into charging times since the Vita charger puts out at least twice the amps of a regular USB charger. The Vita might report that it's charging, but it might not charge very quickly.

Yes, I believe you can use any adaptor as long as it accepts a USB cable. The lower spec ones will charge slower as expected. I've read that the PSPGo and the Galaxy charger work fine.

EDIT:
LOL patsu , send me one of those when u make a few :)

is there any 3rd party cheap usb cable at all?

I read on GAF that you can buy these special USB cables/adapters. Too bad I lost the link. :p

Currently in a hotel, that got a hotspot solution where you need to login through a webpage/portal to get access to the internet.

Now I tried connecting the Vita, it connects fine to WiFi, gets an IP, but when I open the browser and try to open any web page, so that the portal can hijack it and let me login in.
The Vita browser gives me an error code and stops the browser, ie I can not get online with the Vita.
Now is that just me being dumb here or is it a big flaw in the design of the Vita online access setup?

If the Vita needs to talk to sony before opening any page, then whaaaaaaat?

Back