Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

They're different devices, I'll probably upgrade my IPad 1 this year, though I'm not sure I'd bother if apple could manage to write apps that don't run out of memory on IPad 1's

Ahaha, must have tried some of the eTextbooks ? ^_^
The free Biology textbook is very taxing on iPad 1.

Phil said:
The only other big concern I have now is multi-language in games. Does anyone know if the retail games are multi-language (at least, including English as a minimum)? I'm thinking especially about Uncharted here. And what about the games that are sold through PSN?

Phil, I tried Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The US version doesn't give me any language choice. So you'll have to wait and see, or ask around.

If you're wondering how it plays on Vita. The dual sticks are somewhat awkward at first because they are very sensitive. I got used to them slowly. The game also introduces a gyro aiming mechanics that's supposed to work better. Fafalada liked it but I don't know how to turn it on. ^_^

Other than that, the Vita Uncharted is like the PS3 Uncharted. Rich visual, and story telling. After a while, I forgot I was playing on a small screen. If you look closely, you can tell it's not as stunning as the PS3 version. Nonetheless the experience is very authentic, and the visual is vivid.

It's somewhere between U1 and U2 in terms of difficulty. Not as harsh as U3.

Of course they're aimed at different markets. But core gamers or those who might have considered the Vita will be among those who buy iPads for other uses.

These people may defer or even decide not to buy a Vita, especially if they already have a console.

I have no idea if long term Vita will be a success, but it'll live and die on the appeal of the games. I've had my Vita since early last week and I've enjoyed Uncharted so far, and Escape Plan is a lot of fun, also looking forwards to Gravity Rush getting a US release.

Of course there is the possibility of iOS sales canabalising it's market but to me at least they are fundamentally different devices. I rarely game on my iPad/iPhone. The big question is do core gamers still want a portable device predominantly aimed at gaming?
Are they willing to pay $30+ on games for a portable device?

I am, but I could well be an outlier.

Looks like NetFlix and Twitter are out. PS Store is still being updated. FaceBook and Flickr should be available tonight too.

I have no idea if long term Vita will be a success, but it'll live and die on the appeal of the games. I've had my Vita since early last week and I've enjoyed Uncharted so far, and Escape Plan is a lot of fun, also looking forwards to Gravity Rush getting a US release.

You got the same 2 launch games as me. Also waiting eagerly for Gravity Rush.

I bought FIFA for my son to teach him the game since he will be joining a junior soccer league in March. Bought WipeOut and HotShot Golf as part of the B2G1F deal.

Rayman Origins, About a Blob will be in the next wave.

EDIT:
* Flickr (7 Mb)
* LiveTweet (4 Mb)
* NetFlix (12 Mb)

The small size and screenshots remind me of PS3's WebKit-based Skinny apps.

Of course there is the possibility of iOS sales canabalising it's market but to me at least they are fundamentally different devices. I rarely game on my iPad/iPhone. The big question is do core gamers still want a portable device predominantly aimed at gaming?
Are they willing to pay $30+ on games for a portable device?

I am, but I could well be an outlier.

I guess there are a couple of major distinctions for a core gamer.

1. If you already have a home console you also have to want to purchase another device specifically to play games on. If you're not too fussed about playing games on the move then a tablet may be more enticing for you.

2. If you already have an iPad/iPhone/iTouch, how much extra value does the PSV actually give you? It looks a little different when you already own something with a lot of overlapping functionality.

If you're on the couch already you may do some browsing on a tablet or Facebook or play a light game when the commercial breaks come on but it isn't as likely you'd want to play 3 minutes of a core game and then put it away. I guess it is situational.

It would be hard to answer those questions accurately without toying with a Vita, and playing a good Vita game. ^_^

It's a little like iPad. My wife thought it's useless initially but the experience (aka sex appeal) and follow-up apps made it indispensable in my family today.

At this moment, Vita may have the potential to do that for core gamers. A lot depends on Sony's execution post launch. Every little details and goodies will count.

Should the WipEout 2048 be free if you already own the PS3 version?
In the store on my PS3 it shows full price. The Vita Hustle Kings full game was free, I assume it's because I already own the PS3 version.
I don't yet have my Vita (should get it after work!), should I download the WipEout game from Vita to get it for free, like when you buy Motorstorm RC for Vita you need to go to the downloaded games on your PS3 and dl it from there?

No for WipeOut 2048, the dlc that comes in Spring and contains HD and Fury track packs will be free if you already own them on PS3.

Should the WipEout 2048 be free if you already own the PS3 version?
In the store on my PS3 it shows full price. The Vita Hustle Kings full game was free, I assume it's because I already own the PS3 version.
I don't yet have my Vita (should get it after work!), should I download the WipEout game from Vita to get it for free, like when you buy Motorstorm RC for Vita you need to go to the downloaded games on your PS3 and dl it from there?

You'll get DLC track packs with the WipEout HD content free, but you still have to buy WipEout 2048. It's a whole new game with completely original content.

Phil, I tried Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The US version doesn't give me any language choice. So you'll have to wait and see, or ask around.

Thanks! Just to clarify, I don't care for the language option as long as it at least includes English. I'm more concerned because even on PS3, there are games like the CoD ones that are sold only in German overhere - without the English track on it. This has prompted me to pretty much purchase all my games from the UK through amazon.co.uk. For my portable gaming experience, I pretty much want to limit my purchases to digital downloads only.

Now, the Swiss PSN is in German only and with many games, the games you purchase and download are german only (the ones that only feature the regional language track). An example: PSone games like Final Fantasy IX. I'd use my US account which is my primary account anyway, if it weren't for Sony who started blocking foreign creditcards. In that sense, the only option for me is to open up a new PSN account (a UK one) and hope that my creditcard isn't blocked, or continue to use my US one and find a place to buy pre-payed PSN credits - or be forced to use my regional Swiss PSN account, but fear that some games are not in English at all.

It's also a pitty, as all my friends are on the US account. It would be nice to be able to use that account on the Vita as well. With thousands of hours of gaming and trophies built up on that account, there's no way I'm too keen on starting fresh on a new account.

Is there a solution to my problem?

Hmmm... tough. I think we need to talk to the marketing and product chiefs for Vita. ^_^
Off the top of my head, it sounds like using the US store is the easiest solution (if they allow you to buy from US Store).

I played with Near some more. Perhaps Sony can bridge PS Home and Vita's community apps to create a unified community. From community building perspective, they are fundamentally the same thing, except that Near is enhanced with location-based features.

1) Let LiveArea be the 2D view of Playstation Home Space (without all the virtual world fluff)

Every Vita game has a LiveArea. These 2D LiveArea views can be generated automatically by using Near's analytics, user activity log, leaderboard, and collected trophies today. e.g.,
near_flow_08.jpg

Since we always go through a LiveArea to launch an app, this will allow more people to use Near's reports. For performance reasons, these analytics and stats may be cached locally, or stay one click away from LiveArea. In comparison, the original Home concept showed a trophy room but it was never finished. The Home gamer lounge also never took off. There is no real draw to the 3D world.

2) The Near app is like the Playstation Home Navigator, but better

Today, Near allows us to explore our neighborhood, activities, collected items, and game stats. This is similar to Home's 3D world, user events and virtual items. Problem is Home never gave us any insights into our community. Near has a better foundation for community building because we can reward users based on the generated/collected stats and analytics. e.g.,

near_collection_01.jpg

Since one of the goals for Near is to introduce users to new games and new gamer friends, we should also allow Near to create new LiveAreas even if the owner does not have the corresponding games yet. The current Near app is already smart enough to gather "new/unknown game" stats. Adding the complete LiveArea view should generate more interest/curiosity about the game.

Optionally, allow users to launch into the 3D Home Space from LiveArea. In some cases, the Home Space is the game itself.

3) Combine Friends + Group Messaging + Group + Party into 1 Buddy app

We should be able to browse through friends list, nearby users, chatrooms and recently met players to organize clubhouse/clan, or form a squad/party within one app. That way, users don't have to keep recreating the same clan in every game.

Sony can also reuse the XMB Chatroom mechanism for self-managed clan (Everyone can invite their friends to join the clan without an appointed officer).

That's it !

So it detects other Vitas within a certain radius?

For what purpose exactly? In case some stranger you run into might have the same Vita games and you can play them ad-hoc?

I guess it's social networking but I don't get the check-in with FourTrade either.

Maybe Vita owners will feel special being members of a small community. ;)

For what purpose exactly? In case some stranger you run into might have the same Vita games and you can play them ad-hoc?

I guess it's social networking but I don't get the check-in with FourTrade either.

Some DS games have a similar feature. The World Ends With You has a feature that exchanges nearby player data and opens up stores to purchase items from these players. It was a great feature in Japan, where you could get data from a dozen gamers on a single train ride. I seriously doubt the Vita will ever have that kind of volume in the US, though. Now, iOS devices on the other hand...

Well there are a lot of apps. which use location services to show friends on your social network nearby.

But really, how popular are these? Do people really want to know the whereabouts of other people? Maybe sometimes but not regularly.

When IM first became popular, everyone jumped on it, compiled big friends list. But then people realized maybe they don't always want their IM friends to know when they're online.

But when FB is worth $100 billion already, I guess they're going to bolt on social networking features on everything. It's puzzling that people want to follow tweets about people having lunch or going to the bathroom.

It's a geolocation service for developers to enrich their games.

Similar to Nintendo's StreetPass concept, Near games can give out items for players to earn and trade to complete their collection. The concept is more integrated in Nintendo's ecosystem. e.g., I was told you can beat RPG bosses with the help of Miis you met in StreetPass. Since the interaction is asynchronous, the gamers don't have to be connected at the same time to play together.

Generally speaking, Near also helps to build buzz for games. You can see game ratings by other players, pick up items for games you do not own. You will also get a notification when any game gains popularity in your neighborhood.

And yes, if you want, you can chat with strangers in your area and make friends. People on GAF have already started to do so. It's actually pretty neat. I'm not sure if Sony thought through this yet. But I think if Near gains traction, I may be able to trade my old games with nearby gamers without going through GameStop. ^_^

If I were GameStop, I would contact Sony to establish a presence in Near. It's a wonderful way to lure gamers back to your shops by offering promos in Near.

You mean FourSquare ?

The small community feel is definitely there. It's a rather special feeling, like the first month I discovered Demon's Souls while most other gamers ignored it. ^_^

If Sony play their cards well, I think word of mouth for this thing should help sell a few units. ;-)

Little survey of non-gaming Vita apps.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...-vitas-wider-potential-amidst-frustration.ars

Netflix is going to die out. What the Vita needs is a lot of 99 cent or free apps, including some casual games.

The comment about Twitter losing state info when you exit to LiveArea or switch to another app is valid. I think Gradthawn complained about similar issues in the Friends app. Sony will have to address these usability problems if they want Vita OS to run on their cellphones.

Overall, it is an admirable step forward because the core experience is refreshing and solid. Streaming video like NetFlix and Hulu Plus is a nice start, but I think download and stream should work better for Vita. I rented a PS Store movie and watched it on my Vita over 2 days even when I don't have a live connection.

Keen to see how multitasking will enhance the experience next. I will probably activate my 3G end of the week.

Cheap and small games will come in the form of PS Suite apps, PSP Minis and PS+ deals.

Well there are a lot of apps. which use location services to show friends on your social network nearby.

But really, how popular are these? Do people really want to know the whereabouts of other people? Maybe sometimes but not regularly.

When IM first became popular, everyone jumped on it, compiled big friends list. But then people realized maybe they don't always want their IM friends to know when they're online.

But when FB is worth $100 billion already, I guess they're going to bolt on social networking features on everything. It's puzzling that people want to follow tweets about people having lunch or going to the bathroom.

Messaging and Friends List are used heavily in PSN and XBL. I don't see why IM presence is a problem since the users can override their status if they want more privacy. Social networking has been proven to work (under certain circumstances) long before FB goes IPO. ^_^

FaceBook, Google Maps, Twitter are also useful tools in their own right. They won't make a big difference to Vita in the grand scheme of things.

After owning it for a week, I think what Vita introduced are ways to discover and squeeze gaming/entertainment into my life wherever I go. We are not limited by the iOS/Android vs dedicated handheld debate. Both casual games and traditional console games can be served on one single device. Sony should work along this line of thought to shape/streamline Vita's experience.

Thanks! Just to clarify, I don't care for the language option as long as it at least includes English. I'm more concerned because even on PS3, there are games like the CoD ones that are sold only in German overhere - without the English track on it. This has prompted me to pretty much purchase all my games from the UK through amazon.co.uk. For my portable gaming experience, I pretty much want to limit my purchases to digital downloads only.

Dosn't it switch to English if youv'e set your PS3 to speak english, in system language?
( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/systemlanguage.html )

That's what all games does here in Norway, I shop in the norwegian store with Norwegian currency, but all games are english language, by default.
If I switch to Norwegian, the games wich is localised, switch to english.
Some games you can change in options, but most just use the system-settings.

Back