Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

I thought Sony was going to have some video portal on PSN for Vita, where they would sell movies specifically targeted for Vita?

They'll bring the same Video Unlimited service that is already on PS3 to Vita. Their entire CES presentation was about their buy once, play everywhere vision. Eventually the Sony Entertainment Network will extend to Android and PCs as well. They have never said anything about selling Vita only movies.

Did they promote buy once run everywhere ?

PS Suite is more like write once run everywhere.

The PSN PSP games can run on PSP, Vita, PS3 and *perhaps* PS Suite devices but it's not well publicized at all.

EDIT: The PSOne Classics can probably run everywhere but their releases on PS Suite are also spotty so far.

Hmm... I think the Tversity installer installs the pack by default.

Well, I opened the Tversity codec folder and it didnt have almost anything from the Codec folder I downloaded from the link you provided. Now I am not sure in such a case, throwing the folder files to the original folder is how I should do it :)

Apple and Android vendors are sweeping casual gamers into their rapidly expanding smartphone and tablet device bases. The recently revealed Facebook revenue numbers revealed Zynga’s surprisingly strong role in driving revenues. This year is going to be a defining test for the traditional portable game console industry.

3DS already proved that there is still a market for dedicated handheld consoles.

What's important for Sony now is execution. Nintendo and Sony will likely target all the popular games on different platforms (including Zynga games) and bring them to 3DS and Vita.

patsu said:
Playing video via DLNA is also possible, but that's standard affair these days.

Does Vita support DLNA playback out of the box? I've got a 3 year old daughter and a Linux DLNA server with scores of kid movies on it. If a Vita can play those, that would be a huge point in its favor in my house..

Yes, it does apparently.

Anout DNLA being universal: not on iOS though, right?

Edit: did find some good apps now that work, like media connect with flexplayer

Did they promote buy once run everywhere ?

PS Suite is more like write once run everywhere.

The PSN PSP games can run on PSP, Vita, PS3 and *perhaps* PS Suite devices but it's not well publicized at all.

EDIT: The PSOne Classics can probably run everywhere but their releases on PS Suite are also spotty so far.

Except the PSN PSP games aren't allowed to run on the PS3, and the ones on PS Certified devices are almost certainly ports. And even though PS Certified devices can run PS1 games, they still apparently have to be repurchased, even after the PSN Store integration. I think it's safe to say the PSN PSP games have to be repurchased on PS Certified devices also. :(

Well, it is safe to say they have their work cut out. Right now DRM is linked to a very specific publication key, and those go back a ways. But today, they need a new, more open system. I know they've been working on this, but I don't know how far they got. Clearly though right now PSP and PS1 games are produced with different DRM, which prevents them from being linked. Of course, there is also the likelyhood that not all publishers allow republishing on new platforms without addiitional money being handed over (remember this even sometimes had to be done when DLC transfers to a new version of the same game on the same platform, like Rockband 1 -> 2, etc.)

They'll either have to move to, or re-release, content that was on PSN and now moves to PSSuite, and how they connect that to pre-existing purchases remains to be seen. But there is at least a chance that content purchased in the future will be available to you on all your PSSuite capable devices (though with some kind of activation limit no doubt, like two Android devices, two Vitas, and two PS3s for instance). Pretty complicated stuff.

They are definitely doing something serious with the store though. I haven't been able to access my PSN Store history yet since the last maintenance.

Well, it is safe to say they have their work cut out. Right now DRM is linked to a very specific publication key, and those go back a ways. But today, they need a new, more open system. I know they've been working on this, but I don't know how far they got. Clearly though right now PSP and PS1 games are produced with different DRM, which prevents them from being linked. Of course, there is also the likelyhood that not all publishers allow republishing on new platforms without addiitional money being handed over (remember this even sometimes had to be done when DLC transfers to a new version of the same game on the same platform, like Rockband 1 -> 2, etc.)

They'll either have to move to, or re-release, content that was on PSN and now moves to PSSuite, and how they connect that to pre-existing purchases remains to be seen. But there is at least a chance that content purchased in the future will be available to you on all your PSSuite capable devices (though with some kind of activation limit no doubt, like two Android devices, two Vitas, and two PS3s for instance). Pretty complicated stuff.

They are definitely doing something serious with the store though. I haven't been able to access my PSN Store history yet since the last maintenance.

Yeah, SCEE broke users' download history just after the other regions fixed the out-of-order download history bug that's been going on for a while. Although I agree they're due to make major changes to the store soon, the SEN branding change has got to be good for something. And they're probably going to be using the Video Unlimited Preview interface for more stuff at some point...

Except the PSN PSP games aren't allowed to run on the PS3, and the ones on PS Certified devices are almost certainly ports. And even though PS Certified devices can run PS1 games, they still apparently have to be repurchased, even after the PSN Store integration. I think it's safe to say the PSN PSP games have to be repurchased on PS Certified devices also. :(

Yap, it's all very confusing and fragile ! :devilish:

Yeah, SCEE broke users' download history just after the other regions fixed the out-of-order download history bug that's been going on for a while. Although I agree they're due to make major changes to the store soon, the SEN branding change has got to be good for something. And they're probably going to be using the Video Unlimited Preview interface for more stuff at some point...

I think they are probably running on the new network platform now. At least the SEN and PSN services need to avoid user name/account clashes and duplication. Not sure about revamping PSN Store UI yet. I think they should do a rev at the same time when they release Playstation Suite.

The SEN stuff has been available on XMB on Sony's HDTVs and PS3 for some time now. They are just loose services and icons. They seem to be HTML5 + native code based at the moment.

Music Unlimited will be available on iOS by June 2012, according to an earlier report. PlayMemories is starting from Jan 2012. Hope to see more new SEN services and also improve current ones.

EDIT: Oh yes, I have Vita's official cradle sitting on my desk now. Should be receiving my Vita + 32Gb memory card next Wednesday. Good times !

Does Vita support DLNA playback out of the box? I've got a 3 year old daughter and a Linux DLNA server with scores of kid movies on it. If a Vita can play those, that would be a huge point in its favor in my house..

Yes, it does apparently.

Anout DNLA being universal: not on iOS though, right?

Edit: did find some good apps now that work, like media connect with flexplayer

Yes, there are many DLNA apps for iPhone/iPad. My iOS devices can play all the media in my house via DLNA. The only exception is Music Unlimited. It will run on iOS this quarter.

Next thing for me is to figure out how to siphon iOS Cloud music to my PS3 and Vita. ^_^
There is an app that turns an iOS device into a DLNA server I think, but I haven't tried it yet.

Was too tied up to post this the other day...

Amongst other things, Google Maps is coming to Vita today (likely this evening). Mac OSX version of Vita app has been announced.

PlayStation Vita 1.6 Update Adds Video, Map and Mac Support
http://andriasang.com/comzvj/vita_v16_update/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sony will be giving PlayStation Vita its first major firmware update on February 8. The system's version 1.6 update adds two major features.

Your Home screen will now have a Map app. ...

The system's photo app will be updated with the ability to take videos. The app is currently limited to static photos.

As a smaller change, the Home button will now flash blue when you have the Vita hooked up to power.

Separate from the system's firmware, Sony will release a MAC OS version of its Content Management Assistant for PlayStation program.

Screenshots and details in the link above.

Yes, there are many DLNA apps for iPhone/iPad. My iOS devices can play all the media in my house via DLNA. The only exception is Music Unlimited. It will run on iOS this quarter.

Next thing for me is to figure out how to siphon iOS Cloud music to my PS3 and Vita. ^_^
There is an app that turns an iOS device into a DLNA server I think, but I haven't tried it yet.

What are those apps?

What software are you using on the server side? Or are there some reliable NAS or media box setups?

What are those apps?

I did a quick search the other day. It looks like media:connect is a candidate. It's a DLNA controller, player as well as server. There could be others. I haven't tried these DLNA servers yet.

What software are you using on the server side? Or are there some reliable NAS or media box setups?

Most/all home NAS boxes today support DLNA. I think mine is a Buffalo.

EDIT: The other route is via AirPlay, but I haven't investigated deep enough yet.

Data shows Vita's missing backward compatibility could cost Sony sales
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...kward-compatibility-could-cost-sony-sales.ars

Kotaku is reporting that Sony will not be bringing its Japanese UMD Passport program to North America, removing the only method for PlayStation Vita owners to play their collection of PlayStation Portable universal media discs (UMDs) on the new handheld (PSP games downloaded from the PlayStation Network will still work on the Vita, however). While this is obviously bad news for anyone who wants to play their battered old copy of Lumines on a slightly larger screen, it made us wonder how important backward compatibility really is to a system's retail success.

We were perfectly ready to speculate wildly on that very topic, but it turns out there's no need. Someone has actually crunched the numbers and tried to develop a statistical model to show just how valuable backward compatibility is for a portable system's overall market share. And the results show that Sony just might pay a price for its decision to ignore all the UMD owners out there.

When I played around with the PS3 and DLNA servers for the Mac, the experience was inconsistent and it sounds like it's not bulletproof reliable for others either.

I haven't bought an AppleTV so can't comment if AirPlay is more reliable, though people say when it works, people would pull out their iPhones and send media out to the big screen at parties and people would gather around.

Not a big media user on the phone but I then again, I'm not really into Flickr and other media-sharing activities either.

Back