Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

Same price, very similar numbers, similar limited software lineup (from a Japanese perspective)?

It isnt the same price as you need a memory card (and may prefer the 3G version), you will spend at least 350-400€ for a functional/future proof machine unlike the 300€ for 3DS at start.

Plus the economics of many people have worsened a lot since last year around Europe/us.

The vita does have 2 problems IMO

1) the price(s)
2) it almost have a marketing as a smartphone/tablet substitute for gaming, instead of a console that can do smartphone stuff.

It isnt the same price as you need a memory card (and may prefer the 3G version), you will spend at least 350-400€ for a functional/future proof machine unlike the 300€ for 3DS at start.

Plus the economics of many people have worsened a lot since last year around Europe/us.

The vita does have 2 problems IMO

1) the price(s)
2) it almost have a marketing as a smartphone/tablet substitute for gaming, instead of a console that can do smartphone stuff.

How so? A Vita is set to launch at 249 euros with a 8GB memory card at 30 euros. That's 280 euros. Come to think of it, you're right it isn't the same price. It's less.

I'm going to buy a WiFi only model. I don't need more than that initially to play a game like Uncharted, but as I did buy a lot of PSP games on PSN and plan to do so in the future, yes, there's a good chance I'll buy a 16GB memory card with it, which then sets me back a total of 300 euro.

I don't see the point of getting a 3G model at the moment. There is WiFi available to me about 97% of the time, and the few times that I don't have, I can tether.

More relevant to the argument, the WiFi model was by far the most popular version in Japan, so they didn't pay that premium either.

Biggest advantage the 3DS has is that it uses a standard SD card, so expanding internal storage is cheaper.

Anyway, whatever the difference, price is too high for big sales in Japan for both the 3DS and the Vita. In Europe, we'll have to wait and see. I agree there should be a good chance of seeing Vita + Memory Card bundles. Until (if ever?) there are third party versions of this memory card, that's going to be pretty crucial.

And yeah, while personally I think this is ok for a Western launch price, I think they'll need to get the price down fairly quickly. At Christmas they should try to have a 16GB memcard WiFi model at 219 tops, I think.

Same price, very similar numbers, similar limited software lineup (from a Japanese perspective)?

The sales were sort of similar, but that's all.

Vita - 324.859 - 72,479 - 42,648

3DS - 374.764 - 209.623 - 96.463

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just saying in Japan, Vita doesn't seem to cannibalize PSP sales, like how PS3 co-existed with PS2 during the initial years.

With the two systems being at entirely different price points and also with Vita selling poorly there's no reason PSP sales would be impacted at the moment. I think if Vita sales pick up significantly, or if there's a price drop that would then effect PSP sales. If not its going to take several months for PSP sales to drop off significantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just saying in Japan, Vita doesn't seem to cannibalize PSP sales, like how PS3 co-existed with PS2 during the initial years.

That's how I understood what you said and I would agree with that. There are a couple issues for Sony, however, PSP sales are down 800k and Vita hardware is sold at a loss so even the ~450k units the Vita has sold isn't helping profits at all. What I consider worse than that though are the software sales, I have no clue how anyone could look at numbers or even placements and label the Vita as "similar" to the 3DS because it isn't...not in the least though naturally I'm sure we'll hear about how everyone is buying on PSN. I'm sure digital contributes in some way but I'm pretty sure retail is still king by a lot in Japan.

That's how I understood what you said and I would agree with that. There are a couple issues for Sony, however, PSP sales are down 800k and Vita hardware is sold at a loss so even the ~450k units the Vita has sold isn't helping profits at all. What I consider worse than that though are the software sales, I have no clue how anyone could look at numbers or even placements and label the Vita as "similar" to the 3DS because it isn't...not in the least though naturally I'm sure we'll hear about how everyone is buying on PSN. I'm sure digital contributes in some way but I'm pretty sure retail is still king by a lot in Japan.

Indeed, Japan is the King of Retail. People there still buy CDs from Tower Records!

Why do you think Vita hardware is sold at a loss?

We have 2 conflicting sources from Sony. One said no loss, the other said a little loss. Presumably with accessories and game purchase, Sony should be able to earn or recover more.

In any case, even if Sony sold tons of Vita, it is still possible to say Sony lose a lot of money if NavNucST3's assumption is correct. ^_^

Short term losses are calculated in Sony's blended margin strategy. The interesting thing is to see how PSP and Vita progress when Sony switches to Vita.

Indeed, Japan is the King of Retail. People there still buy CDs from Tower Records!

I bought CDs from a B&M store 2-3 months ago because it's cheaper ! It's an impulse buy though. The CDs and songs are loaded in all our cars, PS3s, iOS devices now.

I was looking at this link, and this is quite the launch release list. I've never seen anything like it for a launch as long as I can remember. For the US:

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/

2/15/2012
Wipeout 2048
Hot Shots Golf
Uncharted Golden Abyss (8/10 on Eurogamer)
Little Deviants (7/10 on Eurogamer)
Reality Fighters
Hustle Kings
Super Stardust Delta
Rayman Origins
Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift
Lumines Electronic Symphony

2/22/2012
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Touch My Katamari
F1 2011
Dynasty Warriors Next
Virtua Tennis 4
Ridge Racer
FIFA 12
Army Corps of Hell
Dungeon Hunter Alliance

'Launch Window'
Gravity Rush
LittleBigPlanet
ModNation Racers
Sound Shapes
Escape Plan
Shinobido 2
Ruin
Disgaea 3

TBD
Resistance: Burning Skies

Dark Souls. Get Dark Souls on it and expand on the PvP portion. Make sure we can play the locked save on Vita as well as a second PS3 without that 24 hour lockout period. I bought 2 copies of Dark Souls but can only play one because of that 24 hour lock, damn it.

SoundShapes. My son and I played it for only a few minutes separately. We both like it a lot.

I think Gravity Rush/Daze looks interesting too.

Have also heard good things about Escape Plan, Hotshot Golf, Rayman Origins (same version as PS3 ?).

The other stuff I want to check out are PSP games (Valkyria Chronicles 2, Metal Gear stuff). Didn't get them because PSP nub gaming doesn't feel that good.

Wasn't paying attention (Show was running in the background).

I think I heard Kaz mention Video and Music Unlimited for Vita also ? And PlayMemories turns out to be bigger (on multiple Sony devices, with online features). The gadget blogs will probably report on them later.

Back