Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

yeap. This is what NGP needs to focus on.
It's not as simple as just home consoles and portables.

These are the target markets:
1. at home cinematic high end single player experience - 360, ps3
2. Portable cinematic high end single player experience - ngp
3. at home low/casual experience single player experience - 360, ps3, wii
4. Portable low/casual experience single player experience - 3ds, iphone, android, ngp
5. at home high end local multiplayer experience (via split screen) - 360, ps3
6. portable high end local multiplayer experience - ngp
7. at home low end/casual local multiplayer experience (via split screen)- 360, ps3, wii
8. portable low end/casual local multiplayer experience - ngp, 3ds
9. at home high end internet multiplayer experience - 360, ps3
10. portable high end internet multiplayer experience (at wifi cafes, hotspots, and cell networks)- ngp
11. at home low end/casual internet multiplayer experience - 360, ps3, wii
12. portable low end/casual internet multiplayer experience (at wifi cafes, hotspots, and cell networks)- ngp, 3ds. iphone,android

As you can see from above, there are 3 areas, where the ngp is just by itself. That will have to be NGP's selling point and target markets.

Didn't the PSP fill those roles this generation. I know that the NGP is suppose to be close to the PS3 but what happens when the PS4 and the 360.2 hits the market?

And what happens when tech like Tegra 3 and OMap 5 makes it to tablet and smartphones? Especially if APIs like RenderScript (a lower level API Google is working on for Android) actually allow more robust visuals in Android gaming.

Didn't the PSP fill those roles this generation. I know that the NGP is suppose to be close to the PS3 but what happens when the PS4 and the 360.2 hits the market?

And what happens when tech like Tegra 3 and OMap 5 makes it to tablet and smartphones? Especially if APIs like RenderScript (a lower level API Google is working on for Android) actually allow more robust visuals in Android gaming.

almost. The psp I think fulfilled some of those roles but mainly in japan via monster hunter series. With a 2nd analog nub, and ~650 megs of ram, the NGP does have a stronger shot at fulfilling those roles in the US.

Think how cool it would be to play ad hoc local multiplayer with you school friends. Lag is like zilch. No need for expensive big size TV screens. No need for internet access.

I don't know about you all but I think that the NGP being the total package is what's going to be a big selling point for it.

Playing games & watching movies on that 5 inch OLED on the go is going to turn a few heads only thing is there is already going to be 720P smart phones coming out next year, but if NetFlix & all the other videos on demand stuff that Sony has on PSN work with this & it has great games it's going to be worth the price.

I d prefer your assistance actually ;)

Busy too

Something like this: ^_^
http://m.kotaku.com/5751839/ngp-is-a-game-developers-dream

Sony, it seems, recently held a meeting for game developers in London, outlining that the NGP's first year would be directed at core games, while its second year would be focused on "hardcore and teens". Sony will apparently expand to a wider audience after that.

At the same time, I expect some "core" games to rise from the casual gaming providers too.

Something like this: ^_^
http://m.kotaku.com/5751839/ngp-is-a-game-developers-dream

At the same time, I expect some "core" games to rise from the casual gaming providers too.
Thats different. It does say they will expand to a wider audience as it matures. Which shows that they design it for that future prospect.
This is natural in the product's life cycle. The first adopters are those consumers who are willing to spend more and usually these are the core. That is something Sony understands. It also takes time to exploit the possibilities provided by the design and accumulate the appropriate content.

Nintendo understands this also. If you check many key high profile games used to demonstrate the 3DS to the public they are also designed for the core audience. As it becomes cheaper and adoption grows more and more casual titles will take a bigger share of the pie.

Teenagers and youngsters (which is probably the biggest market for these devices) in general dont have the budget to spend the money for these devices when they launch. Initial content is adapted to those who can and are willing to buy to create the incentive. Casuals are more likely to spend less too

(damn it feels good to remember some of my marketing knowledge after three years being idle :p)

Not every product work like that. Some businesses continue to serve the same base (as long as it's large, profitable, and defensible). Some products didn't make it far.

Sony already has Playstation Suite for the average consumers. It's not exactly a bad idea if Sony continues to focus on creating the best gaming experiences on NGP and PS3 for core gamers.

Not every product work like that. Some businesses continue to serve the same base (as long as it's large, profitable, and defensible). Some products didn't make it far.

Sony already has Playstation Suite for the average consumers. It's not exactly a bad idea if Sony continues to focus on creating the best gaming experiences on NGP and PS3 for core gamers.

I dont know how thats related to what I said or if you even understand what I said. Not every product works like that but what Sony said about NGP shows thats how they see it as a product even with the existence of Playstation suite on other portable devices. Why do you keep labeling it as a core targeted device and ignore what they said in the link you yourself posted?:???:
Its as if you want to stick with the idea that its core-centric no matter what even if its front of your face

… because of competition/cannibalization with other consumer devices, including its own Playstation Suite.

What Sony said may change as time goes on. e.g., Even for gamers who play CoD, they may still pick PS3 and 360 inspite of NGP.

… because of competition/cannibalization with other consumer devices, including its own Playstation Suite.

What Sony said may change as time goes on. e.g., Even for gamers who play CoD, they may still pick PS3 and 360 inspite of NGP.

Thats an assumption. If the NGP doesnt support Playstation Suite, that means they wont be sharing the same games so there wont be cannibalization. If the NGP supports Playstation Suite that means they dont fear of cannibalization and will share software.

Secondly if they want to limit the market for the NGP for the core its like saying that Sony hasnt considered the danger of limiting the userbase and hence the potential buyers of the more expensive games. Which obviously will need more sales to be profitable.

What you say doesnt make sense.

But of course you know perfectly well based on the link that you posted that they plan to target a wider audience.,So I dont know what you are trying to convince here

If PS Suite is available on other devices, then it means some casual gamers may buy these devices instead of NGP.

They plan to target a wider audience. It doesn't mean it will happen on a scale they desired. Unlike home console where family members can share the experience with me, a portable console is more personal. Based on the info we have so far, it's seems to be a "traditional" portable console experience for core gamers.

You are just rephrasing what you said at your previous post. I dont want to copy paste my post as a new reply

edit: Seems you have edited your post. I think you are confused with what you are trying to convince. On one hand you are claiming that the NGP is designed with core in mind and that Sony wont target casuals out of fear of cannibalization and then you say that the NGP will have casual and core games but wont sell as much as they desire because of other portable devices. One is different from the other.

Read my post carefully again. I didn't say NGP doesn't support PS Suite. I'm saying PS Suite is not a strong factor for NGP to draw wider audience. The same thing is available on other devices. PS Suite on NGP simply adds more utility to the device for the same (core gamer) audience -- unless they have more goodies up their sleeves.

Ok. Playstation Suite will offer casual gaming to other portable devices. Right? Which is also supported by NGP. Correct? Here you ve got NGP having casual games already but it wont be enough. So lets move further
Will the NGP have its own casual games as well to create an incentive? They demonstrated some such examples.
Did Sony say that they will target a wider audience? Yes.Did they say they will stick only with Playstation Suite to achieve that? No?
So? Does this mean its designed with "traditional" gaming in mind for core gamers? No. Its designed for both core and casual.
Will it succeed as a casual+core gaming device? Thats a different matter.

Ok. Playstation Suite will offer casual gaming to other portable devices. Right? Which is also supported by NGP. Correct? Here you ve got NGP having casual games already but it wont be enough. So lets move further
Will the NGP have its own casual games as well to create an incentive? They demonstrated some such examples.
Did Sony say that they will target a wider audience? Yes. Did they say they will stick only with Playstation Suite to achieve that? No?
So? Does this mean its designed with "traditional" gaming in mind for core gamers? No. Its designed for both core and casual.
Will it succeed as a casual+core gaming device? Thats a different matter.

As long as PS Suite allows people to play games on assorted devices, it will take away some sales -- especially on more powerful phones and pads. Not to mention iOS will have their own games too.

Again, Sony say they will target a wider audience… They also wanted PSP software sales to pick up in US. And ? The market will ultimately decide. With the available info so far, they haven't really announced anything that would widen the audience for NGP yet. They don't have to because they are targeting the core gamers in its first year. In its 3rd and 4th year, PS Suite, iOS, W7, etc. will be at a different position to compete for general consumer attention.

I am sure Sony know this too.

Dude I dont know what we are discussing about anymore. Are we discussing if Sony designed it for core gaming in mind or if its going to succeed? It started as the first and now you are talking about the second. Help me out so I can understand you. Please do it simple

I commented that Sony will need to work/think harder to differentiate NGP. Only gamers understand NGP right now. The consumers at large may not understand or appreciate NGP.

If it's capable enough, Playstation Suite may be a more effective entertainment platform to draw the average consumers.

The rest are just posts to clarify your questions. Remember, these are just perception based on public info to date.

Ok. You are more clear now. How do you suggest they should differentiate? Do you think the NGP would have been better or worse if the PS Suite didnt exist across multiple portable devices including the NGP?

Ok. You are more clear now. How do you suggest they should differentiate?

*Shrug*

They have dual sticks. ^_^ … and other control schemes. The dual sticks may work well for some core games.

The rest are computing resources. I can only speculate that they may need/have exclusive PSN features for NGP. Integration with PS3 and 360 may be nice too. e.g., I personally don't value the "continue to play game on NGP" proposition, but Sony can do that for 360 + NGP games too; not just PS3 + NGP.

The other possible area is marketing (e.g., Buy PS3, get NGP games like what Valve is doing for PS3 + PC Portal 2)

[EDIT: I *think* (not sure yet) Sony stands a better chance if it focuses NGP on core gamers, and announces that they will create/show the best gaming experience on it. Talking about NGP casuals + non-gamers will only dilute and confuse the picture, especially in the presence of PS Suite]

Do you think the NGP would have been better or worse if the PS Suite didnt exist across multiple portable devices including the NGP?

From NGP's standpoint, it may be a hygiene factor. If NGP has it, it won't win any war. If it doesn't have PS Suite, it will be inferior to competing devices.

In general, it may be a step Sony needs to take anyway. If someone else does this, it will impact NGP negatively.

With the exception of the dual sticks that are already there and exclusive PSN content which is a given the rest sound more suitable for core and the tech savvy :p
Ok regarding the marketing there are endless ideas. It will need some good ideas for value proposition. I agree.
Personally I think if Suite is very successful it could be a plus for the NGP

Back