Sony's Next Generation Portable unveiling - PSP2 in disguise

Sony licensed some more Series5XT for "consumer markets".

They target such a broad range of products that it's hard to say what kind of device(s) is intended by the new agreement.

Sony licensed some more Series5XT for "consumer markets".

They target such a broad range of products that it's hard to say what kind of device(s) is intended by the new agreement.

One assumes that these are not for "standard" mobile applications, as in 12 months from now there will be loads of Soc options in the market place with good ARM processors plus SGX 5XT graphics (TI and Renesas come to mind), so it might be something more specific, maybe going into a TV, to maybe give PS vita compatibilty ?

Either that or its so high volume that the development costs of making their own chip are offset by the reduced per chip cost compared to buying someone else's chip.

I noted that this license is for ip coreS.

Its unclear from the original sony licence announcement in Nov '08 if it was single use. So this announcement could be extending the use of 543MP4 into other products, as well as licensing other cores (or other core configruations).

PSV "Go" coming in ~2003? TBH, I'd rather have a smaller version of the console.

Or maybe a future, cheaper hardware revision, reducing the number of cores and increasing the clock accordingly? Maybe using 2* 2GHz Cortex A9 cores and a 400MHz SGX543MP2+?

The question is if they'd really need a further 5XT license for something like that.

That's PSS for you, and it's got its own thread. The same games written in PSS will run on a PSS framework, or compile-for-Android, option, for PS certified devices as I currently understand it. Given the move to Sony Network Entertainment, I wouldn't be surprised if you need to install a PlayStation app to your Android device, and content will be delivered through the SNE common media platform.

Sony just bought Ericsson's stake in Sony-Ericsson for $1.05B with Ericsson licensing back all the necessary 3G patents as part of the deal. Makes me wonder whether the ST-Ericsson A9600 could emulate the PS Vita's SoC (or any other Rogue-based SoC since Sony-without-Ericsson no longer has any political reason to favour ST-Ericsson over other potential partners).

didn't Sony just buy Ericsson shares in Sony Ericsson mobile? I mean, this has nothing to do with ST Ericsson with is a co enterprise between ST micro and Ericsson...so I don't think Sony has anything to say about the Nova chips

sorry for my bad english

A very good and long interview with Imgtec's David Harold and Kristof Beets(Japanese)http://www.4gamer.net/games/144/G014402/20111125078/

synopsis:
Q. about the "+" of SGX543MP4+
A. can't talk about this, but we alway keep close with our licensee to improve our product, like bus architecture or memory access etc..the "+" is joint design with Sony( interviewer state that he heard from the soft developer side, SGX543MP4+ have drastically expand from the API level, compare with SGX543)

Q. spec of Series 6
A. not the right time to disclose, don't want our competitors to know what in our hand, beforce licensee side out their product in 2012

Q.about MP16
A. it can be MP32 or more if licensee want

i should state that they are talking about series6 for this

Obviously; I'd say that those familiar with the Series5XT design know that the maximum latency of the design is at MP16. Rogue obviously is an entirely different animal.

sorry for my bad english

A very good and long interview with Imgtec's David Harold and Kristof Beets(Japanese)http://www.4gamer.net/games/144/G014402/20111125078/

synopsis:
Q. about the "+" of SGX543MP4+
A. can't talk about this, but we alway keep close with our licensee to improve our product, like bus architecture or memory access etc..the "+" is joint design with Sony( interviewer state that he heard from the soft developer side, SGX543MP4+ have drastically expand from the API level, compare with SGX543)

Q. spec of Series 6
A. not the right time to disclose, don't want our competitors to know what in our hand, beforce licensee side out their product in 2012

Q.about MP16
A. it can be MP32 or more if licensee want

& that's why I believe this will end up in the PS4 or some other console

& that's why I believe this will end up in the PS4 or some other console

I'd say that all 3 seats are already taken, unless you're refering to something outside the typical 3 suspects.

am I doing this right?

going off of the POWERVR SGX543 specs to get an idea of what a MP32 clocked at 400MHz would be like, I come up with ,

2.1 billion polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 64Gpixels/sec.

am I in the right ballpark with these figures?

but that's without knowing the real specs of the Series 6, which could put these numbers a lot higher.

btw andriasang have a little bit info about the "+"
http://andriasang.com/comz3o/ps_vita_plus/

"+" is an expansion that was cooperatively developed with Sony Computer entertainment. It's an exclusive specification just for Sony Computer Entertainment, so in general the SGX543MP4+ will not be used in other product.

The "+" here includes game system specific optimizations and expansions that were developed jointly between SCE and Imagine Technologies.

new news or old news?

am I doing this right?
going off of the POWERVR SGX543 specs to get an idea of what a MP32 clocked at 400MHz would be like, I come up with ,
2.1 billion polygons per second and fill rates in excess of 64Gpixels/sec.
am I in the right ballpark with these figures?

Each 543 core is capable of 35M Tris at 200MHz; at 400MHz obviously 70M Tris.

70M * 16 cores * 95% = 1064M Tris for a SGX543MP16@400MHz.

Texel fill-rate without overdraw = 32 TMUs * 400MHz = 12.8 GTexels/s

Series5XT could possibly scale beyond 16 cores, the problem could be that performance won't scale by a degree that would make it worthwhile.

but that's without knowing the real specs of the Series 6, which could put these numbers a lot higher.
ST Ericcson's Novathor A9600 Rogue is according to ST capable of over 210 GFLOPs, over 5 GTexels/s without overdraw and over 350M Tris.

You can do some speculative math based on those figures, like consider the former to be a quad core block clocked at 667MHz (which isn't at all absurd under 28nm).

It's all just hypothetical but if true you could have per core:

53 GFLOPs
1.33 GTexels/s without overdraw
90 MTris/s

Now clock at 1GHz (power consumption is less of an issue for higher end designs) for a theoretical MP32 and you could get:

2.56 TFLOPs
64 GTexels/s without overdraw
4.1 bTris/s

***edit: jebus with that "+" thing. It's no second relavation nor does it stand for anything that makes the PS Vita unique compared to other architectures of comparable compliance. Just consider what SONY might have wanted to port its PS3 games on to PS Vita and also that SGX544 wasn't ready at the time SONY licensed the 543.

Back