Uncharted for NGP*

Wow, that's a bold new strategy for Sony: release games for it. I wish the PSP had games for it.

Yeah, because the PSP doesn't have Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Final Fantasy, Killzone, WipeOut (x3), Resistance, Burnout (x2), SSX, Metal Gear Solid (x4!), God of War (x2), Football Manager (x many), FIFA (x many), Pro Evo (x many), Madden (x many), Tekken (x many), Soul Calibur, Silent Hill, Monster Hunter, a bunch of GTAs and God knows how many other big names together with many PSP1 re-releases and Minis and what not. :rolleyes: (an idea: http://www.eurogamer.net/gamedb.php?platform=PSP&min_score=&sort_score=down&starts_with=a )

There just aren't that many new games on it, but that is because people:

a) have enough with what's out now
b) pirate everything
c) don't like the PSP enough as a gaming device because it can only do a subset of games in a more limited way than almost any other gaming system in terms of controls
d) don't think the PSP is portable enough
e) don't think the PSP is connected enough
f) developers are busy making PSP2 games now instead

Presumably, a and b are true to some extent, Sony definitely believes c) is true, does clearly NOT think d) is a big issue (though to some extent their Playstation Suite setup caters to this, allowing Android phones to share the fun), clearly do also think d) is true (though 3G will be an option in a separate SKU) and f) is also clearly true.

Uncharted looks great, and I like the approach Sony has taken so far from adding all the controls, cameras sensors and what not to keeping the screen size large and the playstation suite initiative for making Android a better gaming platform. Vision is good, device looks great playing Uncharted, now let's see where the execution takes us!

Well, for me there were too few good games, just about 1 game every year that I would actually buy. And too many watered down versions of console games. I want something new that works well on a handheld, like Loco Roco.

Oh so true… should focus on new experience.

Patapon is my other favorite PSP title. I hope they expand on that franchise beyond a rhythm game.

Yeah… I always thought they underplayed Patapon. My kid love it too. I'll probably buy everything and anything Patapon (Pillows, water bottle, lunch box, RTS, tower defense, top-down maze game like Gauntlet, card games, etc.).

hoping for Ready at Dawn...... Sony bend did amazing job on syphon filter, but the story is horrible. Hope ND will handle the story and the script.

hoping for Ready at Dawn...... Sony bend did amazing job on syphon filter, but the story is horrible. Hope ND will handle the story and the script.

Bend also did a really good job on their Resistance spin-off, on the PSP.
One of the few games wich did all that PS3-integration, wich everyone thinks is amazing, and noone actually tries, like infecting Resistance 2, and similar.. :p

BigBig's Little Deviants also look like a interesting new IP, beeing described as Populous meets Monkeyball, they also seems to have done a good job on the PSP with Pursuit Force, and Motorstorm: Arctic Edge..

EA should start on a new Populous-game now, I think they own that franchise, afterall this device seems like built for it.. :)

Well, for me there were too few good games, just about 1 game every year that I would actually buy. And too many watered down versions of console games. I want something new that works well on a handheld, like Loco Roco.

Same here. There are just so many games on the system that don't seem like they really belong there. For example, I was really looking forward to MGS Peacewalker, but as it turned out the end product had more in common with Monster Hunter than MGS, not to mention the controls were just horrible. I did buy a handful of games for the system in 2010, but the only one I really enjoyed and finished was Kingdom Hearts. While the visuals weren't quite as impressive as on the PS2, the game was massively improved in just about every other way. Crisis Core was a good one too, and I'm really looking forward to the Third Birthday and the FFXIII Agito-something spin-off.
It seems to be a great system for rpg lovers in general, though. I really have to try "ZHP: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman" at some point.

not to mention the controls were just horrible

I think that if you look long and hard at why some of these games failed, it's more because of the controls on the PSP not quite being good enough than anything else - though obviously the load times was a drawback for some games as well. I think that using flash memory rather than UMD, supporting save states like on the Go (at least I hope so) and having better on-board controls by default than most current-gen consoles have combined solves most of the problems there I think.

That of course is covering the deeper end of the gaming spectrum, where you have the online connected experience on the other hand as well as the Playstation Suite for more casual games that also suit phones. The NGP should be able to provide a much wider range of gameplay much more easily.

PSP's controls were pretty much the biggest drawback of the system, DS on the other hand was very versatile. This time however it feels to be the complete opposite, the dual analogue plus two touchpads and gyroscope easily puts it way ahead of 3DS in terms of control flexibility.

PSP's controls were pretty much the biggest drawback of the system, DS on the other hand was very versatile. This time however it feels to be the complete opposite, the dual analogue plus two touchpads and gyroscope easily puts it way ahead of 3DS in terms of control flexibility.

Exactly, It was the controls that compromised the versatility of the original PSP and that has been sorted out in this edition. When the PSP launched FPS where not that big on consoles except Halo, and that was on a different console. Imagine if the PSP had the input to be able to play FPS when the CoD era came about......case in point, in the unveiling of this NGP that was filled with tech demos and concepts, sony deemed it necessary to have Activision announce a CoD without even a pic or anything else whatsoever.

Anyway Sony has now sorted that out and added a lot of extra spicing on top of that. This means that whether it is a 3ds game, an Android/iOS game/app, or a normal console type game, it will be on the NGP as well as having its own unique games/app.

Anyway I am reeeaally looking forward to this Uncharted as well as looking out for what Ready At Dawn can do with this system as they are the Naughty Dog/Guerilla Games of the PSP scene. So sign me up for Day ONE.:D

I sometimes find fault with Sony strange marketing and positionning, but they have never, never disappointed me when it comes to their hardware. Amazing piece of tech and stuffed with so many control/interface options... (I especially love the Gyro/multi touch combo...nice!).

Oups, wrong thread! Sorry!
Anyway, the Uncharted demo is pretty impressive. Videogames sure have come a long way, guys......

Same here. There are just so many games on the system that don't seem like they really belong there. For example, I was really looking forward to MGS Peacewalker, but as it turned out the end product had more in common with Monster Hunter than MGS, not to mention the controls were just horrible. I did buy a handful of games for the system in 2010, but the only one I really enjoyed and finished was Kingdom Hearts. While the visuals weren't quite as impressive as on the PS2, the game was massively improved in just about every other way. Crisis Core was a good one too, and I'm really looking forward to the Third Birthday and the FFXIII Agito-something spin-off.
It seems to be a great system for rpg lovers in general, though. I really have to try "ZHP: Unlosing Ranger VS. Darkdeath Evilman" at some point.

I don't really like RPG's for handheld's. If I want to play an RPG, I want to play for hours and be immersed. The last game I might still buy for the PSP is that last GoW game. And that's mostly because I can basically get it for free.

Another thing never liked with the PSP is that Sony is constantly releasing newer models with added functionality. I feel like I should be able to buy one at any time, and everything that is released for it throughout it's lifetime should work for it. Now I feel like I'm being punished for having bought the original 1000 model.

Is Ready at Dawn confirmed to be developing a PSP2 game? I was hoping to see what they could do in a console game.

Back