PlayStation suite

Some progress:

2012-04-28-013945 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-28-013953 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-28-013958 by niwrA, on Flickr

Played around with fonts, cleaned up some stuff, hooked up events so changes come back to the wizard element objects and save and reload any changes the user made. Lots of work to do still but at least I manage to get most things done without too much of a hassle so far.

Status update:

Moved all the test code to a Widget now, cleaned some stuff up and added automatic scrolling for when stuff drops off the screen. Everything is still pretty much resolution independent (except at the moment the font sizes, but I want to make an option that increases or decreases the size according to your own prefs)

2012-04-29-034945 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-29-034446 by niwrA, on Flickr

I'm probably boring people to shits here with these posts ... :D

Someone ported an engine from XNA that they've been working on for 4 years:

Couple of work days coming up so won't have as much time to work on it for a little while, but here's the latest status. Next week I hope to come up with a first test package (set of dlls) so that people can use this in their own projects.

In preparation of that, apart from adding some more controls (CheckBox, Date and Time) I've tested the layout as an overlay of an existing background (e.g. for your game), and even without lowering the Alpha of the background it seems to come over pretty ok. Only when you have a very light / yellow background, you will want to change the font-color to Black, but nearly everything else seems to work quite well (though a background with both white/yellow and black will be difficult with no Alpha adjustment)

2012-04-30-184851 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-30-184902 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-30-184340 by niwrA, on Flickr

Note that there are a few style things I cannot adjust, like the font of the time and date selector values, and color for the sliders and checkbox. I've reported these to Sony on the Dev forums.

So, I'm almost there! Style Manager works, styles now configurable in Xml, automatic Font Caching built in. Happy! :)

Now the updates to and from the wizard and a bit of clean-up, and I'm ready to go 'public beta' ... :D

2012-05-04-101246 by niwrA, on Flickr

Hurray! I've achieved my first major milestone :) If anyone is interested, this is now ready for testing in a foreign location. I'm going to hook it up to various stuff myself now, demos and other test stuff, but the basics are now done:

WizardEngine
Contains a serializeable object-hierarchy that defines the user interface. You instantiate the WizardManager, optionally with a url to a serializeable xml file that will automatically create the wizard, otherwise start with an empty wizard object that you can build out in code.

The WizardManager also controls navigation (FirstPage, NextPage, PreviousPage) and setting values of individual elements (SetElementValueByName), and will raise events when actual changes occur (ValueChanged, PageChanged) with event arguments containing the relevant information (e.g. NewValue, OldValue, Element and NewPage, OldPage, Direction respectively).

WizardEngine.UI
Contains a WizardPanel and a WizardElementPanel, as well as a StyleManager. The StyleManager works similar to the WizardManager, and can serialize and de-serialize its Styles from a file. It handles all the basic settings for Widgets, but as best practice I have setup the WizardElementPanel to distinguish between Label, Widget, and Text, always falling back to Default whenever there is no explicit style defined.

I'll write a full manual and will unquestionably add more features, but for now, this is a good start and I'm very happy.

1. I have no clue what your program actually does :)
2. Do I need PS Suite to run it on my Vita/Android etc or can you give me an executable that I can just install and run?

It's obviously the registration sheet of a online turnbased strategy MMORPG.
Right now I'm guessing he's building the registration of the database of the various users/Magicians, lateron - I assume he will add units, resources and spells wich the users can summon, build and recruit to wage war with to steal land or money from the other users. :)

j/k, I have no clue either, but from the screens it looks like something wich will help you automate a database. :)

Arwin's put together a customisable GUI interface described via XML, making it a portable format. This is how Android builds an GUI too. If Vita hasn't anything similar as standard than it could prove very useful, especially for PSS device that aren't Vita's. Obviously, when targeting Vita you can comfortably hardcode UIs, but when that same app is used on a PSS tablet or smaller screened phone, it needs to adapt suitably.

Arwin's put together a customisable GUI interface described via XML, making it a portable format. This is how Android builds an GUI too. If Vita hasn't anything similar as standard than it could prove very useful, especially for PSS device that aren't Vita's. Obviously, when targeting Vita you can comfortably hardcode UIs, but when that same app is used on a PSS tablet or smaller screened phone, it needs to adapt suitably.

This is pretty much it. The only difference between for instance Android and this, is that what I'm building is slightly more high-level, trying to separate the UI logic more from the UI layout, but automating that to the point that you don't need to build model-view interface classes.

More documentation and video will follow ... In the meantime, here's an ugly shot of dropping it into the BGM example :

2012-05-06-032721 by niwrA, on Flickr

Note that the Checkbox item doesn't look very nice - I'd rather want a type of button here that shows its on or off, etc. The idea is that for this option, I only specify that I want the user to turn something on or off, and then what kind of UI is used to achieve that is transparent. In your application you'll only receive ValueChanged events from a single source, the WizardEngine, telling you that 'Loop' was changed from 'False' to 'True'

Here's a current status update. Here you see the listpanel in action, but interesting about it is that the listpanel itself can be dynamically built up by nested wizard panels (again, much like WPF):

2012-05-12-005825 by niwrA, on Flickr

The listpanel contents are based on an example rss stream. Some items are empty, partly because I haven't implemented hierarchical xml data binding yet, but that shouldn't be too hard. I hope to get quite far coming monday when I have a full day to work on this.

FIRST *BETA* RELEASE

Hi All,

Those interested can try the libs now. It's not nearly finished, and there is plenty of work to do on the documentation as well ;) but the basics are there, and as I had a question from someone if he could try it, and I am off for a week not able to work on this, it seemed like a good moment to share some results.

There's a manual in there detailing how to add the UI Wizard to your project, and there's a modifield SampleModelDemo from the PSS that shows the end result of integrating it, that you can use for reference and testing. I also made a little crappy video, that shows some of the project and code that I will post whenever it is done.

You can download the whole package from here, it's the only file in the shared folder at the moment:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.asp...2D62D5DD0C4DBD0C!101&authkey=!AF7p8S7AydwyuVM

Hope to see some cool stuff from someone using this sometime. ;)

Short Video:

Long Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4dD5vgYYI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Someone ported an engine from XNA that they've been working on for 4 years:

The water in that demo is a fine example of how to implement realistic water by not making it so glassy as to be reflective of everything. Real sea water has way too much oscillation and action to be reflective except the sun and very large luminous sources of light.

*Applause*

This is now called Playstation Mobile and HTC is the first third party hardware to support it.

Also found this little video of someone who coded a remote desktop app:

Back