PlayStation suite

If this uses PSSuite, that's very promising. If they can get that to run smoothly, and PSSuite becomes publicly available to all developers with an App Store type publication option, I could see that work quite well on Android eventually.

I hope PSP games that we have already purchased can be redownloaded for our PS certified devices too

Heh heh, spoken like a true consumer. I approve ! :runaway:

... or at least gimme some discount. :p

I don't have an Android device yet. Tablet S and P fell through. Still waiting for a worthy one !
[size=-2]Come on... Android for Vita~~[/size]

This article talks about the history of Tablet P (Why it was created):
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/07/sony-tablet-p-prototypes/

Now I understand their motivation better, but I think it's putting the cart in front of the horse. They should come up with the vision first, and then look for tech and teams to put it together. Don't drag the same old philosophy/concept for years, and try to shoehorn it in new products.

Just reading the summary, it sounds like very flawed design. "We want a clamshell computer. Now they ahve these tablet things, let's make that old clamshell idea even though it's dumb when wanting a single contiguous screen for interfacing with."

Andrew House talks a little about PS Suite:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/20/andy-house-interview-gearing-up-for-ps-vita/

PSB: The game development climate has changed and we are now seeing smaller teams achieving great success with shorter lead times. How will we react to that with regards to PlayStation Vita, and in general as a company?

AH: There are two points to that and the first is that we have created a much easier development environment than we have for previous platforms. That facilitates experimentation and combined with the opportunities digital distribution provides, such as removing the risk of having to commit to an inventory stock, we are able to lower the barrier of entry for developers and hopefully encourage them to experiment and take risks.

An extension to that is PlayStation Suite which, for me, is an initiative that runs in parallel to PS Vita. What we have there is a very low cost development environment and an opportunity to immediately access a broad and growing range of Android devices and the install base that comes with them, as well as the option to make your content compatible with PS Vita. In essence, PlayStation Suite is an extra route into delivering PS Vita content that will be available to a much larger pool of developers, and in a much more agile, quicker to market way.

If Sony also port Vita OS to other devices, this may mean Sony is exploring a Vita phone in parallel.

EDIT:
On a related note...

GTVHacker tool brings Sony Google TVs root access, full Flash streaming:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/20/gtvhacker-tool-brings-sony-google-tvs-root-access-full-flash-st/

Sony's next GoogleTV should be PS Certified too.

PS Suite impressions by a closed beta developer:
http://martincaine.com/xna/from_xna_to_playstation_suite

First, the SDK is a pretty hefty download (hundreds of MB) but the installer is well written and is literally a one-click process (it actually installs many apps step by step but for the most part works automatically). The most interesting part of installation (from an XNA guys point of view) is seeing it install the .NET Framework and MonoDevelop. I was already aware that the SDK was geared towards C# programmers and now I understand how it all comes together on the Android systems, and potentially on the PS3 too.

Loading up the documentation first gives us a nice API reference and we can see there are a whole load of samples included which cover all the basics of each API function. I always find looking at small samples like this the best way to learn how libraries or new APIs work and the samples provided are very minimal containing only the code required to get certain functions to work so it's very clear how to use the new API.

Short forum discussion on PS Suite:
http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/95810/588079.aspx

EDIT:
Early rumor about Xperia Play 2:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/02/24/is-this-the-xperia-play-2/

(I suspect the picture is fake, but it's not impossible for Sony to prep a XP2 at this point)

EDIT 2:
Fixed link.

Just to note that androvsky is in the closed beta and PS Suite has been updated since Dec 2011:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35530394&postcount=31

androvsky said:

Since the review you posted on b3d, there's been a large and very nice update. Hopefully more will be revealed at GDC since I'm looking forward to talkng about it.

EDIT:
Since I talked about RemotePlay, DLNA and such, might as well throw in this one:

RealVNC teams up with Sony Mobile Communications to bring remote access to Android smartphones
http://www.realvnc.com/company/press/news/realvnc-automotive-sony-xperia-android.html

27th February 2012, RealVNC’s remote access technology has been integrated in Sony Mobile Communication’s Android based Xperia™ smartphones, enabling them to connect to vehicle infotainment systems so that drivers can access their smartphone applications safely from the dashboard display. The technology can also be used in customer support services by helpdesk agents to provide better support to Xperia™ users.

VNC® Automotive, the technology from RealVNC, can automatically detect, access and control virtually any mobile device or desktop computer from a vehicle’s touch-screen or fixed input devices such as steering wheel switches and head unit buttons and menus. The collaboration with Sony Mobile Communications means automotive manufacturers will be able to improve the in-car experience as drivers can access content on their Xperia™ smartphone such as navigation applications, traffic updates, music libraries and internet radio stations. Built-in mechanisms interlock speed and access to mobile applications to meet regulatory requirements, reducing driver distraction and enhancing safety.

[Blah blah blah] ...

How 'bout integrating RemotePlay to the VNC stack and label the entire thing RemotePlay 2.0 ? :runaway:

That's something Sony could do very well with. If their PSS certified apps are the same experience across devices, it'll encourage people to buy a PSS version rather than a generic version. I've just won me a smart-phone off eBay and I'm interested in development on it.

Actually in that regard, purchases you make on droid are one-offs aren't they, and not tied to any account? So if you buy Plants v Zombies on one phone and then upgrade, you have to buy it again? If Sony execute a network service properly, that would be more flexible, just like PSN.

As long as your devices are able to run the application, you can have it on multiple devices. As long as all those devices uses the same google account.

I got most my apps on my galaxy nexus phone and my galaxy tablet. In addition to the apps on my older nexus s

Yes, the "buy-once-run-everywhere" trait is a killer feature on iOS/Android platforms.

Sony recently introduced deals that allow people to pay once and get the "same" game on both PS3 and Vita. Not sure how far Sony will go. They have created a new "Cross Play" category on Vita PS Store for this sort of deals.

For a cross-platform model like PS Suite, it would be easier to implement this "buy-once-run-everywhere" model. We'll have to see if Sony is smart and generous enough to do this. ;-)

Yes, the "buy-once-run-everywhere" trait is a killer feature on iOS/Android platforms.

Sony recently introduced deals that allow people to pay once and get the "same" game on both PS3 and Vita. Not sure how far Sony will go. They have created a new "Cross Play" category on Vita PS Store for this sort of deals.

For a cross-platform model like PS Suite, it would be easier to implement this "buy-once-run-everywhere" model. We'll have to see if Sony is smart and generous enough to do this. ;-)

It's not about them as the platform holder, it's up to the Devs as to whether they want to expand into this area. Sony though as one of the largest Devs can lead the way here.

Quite right. Publishers hold the pricing card and model.

The PS Suite byte code approach does help to reduce the support cost for cross platform deployment, especially if Sony foot the bill or create the ecosystem for the final QA and h/w certification. In this sense, the developers worry less about technical issues.

If Sony also create a marketing "layer" to help promote PS Suite games to a proven larger audience, then developers may be more keen to work with their new models too.

If PS Suite is simply a loose, fragmented collection of games, then the impact will be minimal. There are already so many cross platform development tools for iOS and Android.

EDIT:
Early rumor about Xperia Play 2:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/02/24/is-this-the-xperia-play-2/

(I suspect the picture is fake, but it's not impossible for Sony to prep a XP2 at this point)

Kaz Hirai denied it for now...

INTERVIEW: Sony Mobile Eyes Rapid Rollout Of High-Content Handsets
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120226-703501.html

"Belonging to Sony eases access to the Sony Entertainment network. Suddenly, we're able to provide Sony's entire library of music, video and television content and we can work much more closely with Sony's gaming business," Nordberg said.

However, Sony Mobile doesn't have any immediate plans to have another go with the Xperia Play device, the handheld, game-console smartphone with a Sony PlayStation gaming function that the company unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona a year ago.

The Xperia Play flopped with fewer than 700,000 units sold globally during its first three quarters, according to estimates by market research firm Canalys. It was a good example of how Sony was reluctant to plough its own brand into the Sony Ericsson joint venture. Sony, without full control over Sony Ericsson, was concerned that the Xperia Play would cannibalize on its own hand-held PlayStation Portable, or PSP, device, which led consumers to complain about the lack of Playstation games made available for it.

"If we believe that we are able to provide a cutting edge gaming experience, together with a compelling communications experience, we will look at such a device. But we don't want to end up with a product that is a compromise," Hirai said.

Quite right. Publishers hold the pricing card and model.

The PS Suite byte code approach does help to reduce the support cost for cross platform deployment, especially if Sony foot the bill or create the ecosystem for the final QA and h/w certification. In this sense, the developers worry less about technical issues.

If Sony also create a marketing "layer" to help promote PS Suite games to a proven larger audience, then developers may be more keen to work with their new models too.

If PS Suite is simply a loose, fragmented collection of games, then the impact will be minimal. There are already so many cross platform development tools for iOS and Android.

All 3 of these are very true and is what Sony as platform holder can bring to the table along with "pressing the flesh" with the Devs/publishers. The hard part is balancing between making it accessible and the place to be and a dictatorship.

Just to note that androvsky is in the closed beta and PS Suite has been updated since Dec 2011:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35530394&postcount=31

I'd been debating on whether or not I should say anything, since the fact that I'm in the beta is about the only thing I know I can say about it (for a while, I wasn't sure I could say that much!). :) It's my first time getting into a closed beta like that, so I've been trying to be extra careful. The constant "can Vita have non-game apps besides a few big ones" and "is PS Suite even alive" threads and posts finally got to me. :)

I'd been debating on whether or not I should say anything, since the fact that I'm in the beta is about the only thing I know I can say about it (for a while, I wasn't sure I could say that much!). :) It's my first time getting into a closed beta like that, so I've been trying to be extra careful. The constant "can Vita have non-game apps besides a few big ones" and "is PS Suite even alive" threads and posts finally got to me. :)

You should wait until after GDC to talk about the beta and even then don't say too much, at least that's the latest I've heard.

The only thing I would like to say is that I think the timetable is too long and the pace is glacial.

You should wait until after GDC to talk about the beta and even then don't say too much, at least that's the latest I've heard.
Yeah, I was planning on waiting for GDC to say more, if anything. But hey, my comment brought you out of hiding. :)
The only thing I would like to say is that I think the timetable is too long and the pace is glacial.
Now I definitely can't talk about stuff like that. So how about that Vita? Nice screen, eh?

Yeah, I was planning on waiting for GDC to say more, if anything. But hey, my comment brought you out of hiding. :)

I've been around. Busy with work though, so less time to post. D:

Now I definitely can't talk about stuff like that. So how about that Vita? Nice screen, eh?

Yeah, probably not a good idea, I can say it because I haven't signed an agreement not to say anything. I just tend not to out of respect for Sony's marketing people (who are handling the launch of Suite terribly IMO) who want to stick to a stated plan rather than have an anonymous internet poster spill the beans ahead of time.

Anyway, if one was truly interested one could just log into MSDN and see almost everything.

Back