Replaying Oblivion

warcrow

Regular
*UPDATED 01/25/11*

I've decided on my build! I'm going for a sneaky, thief-like assassin. Let me know what you think.

Race: Dunmer
Birthsign: The Thief
Specialization: Stealth
Attributes: Agility & Speed

Skills
Marksman - To me this an obvious choice.
Armorer - So I can always have my equipment in top shape (plus to fill an endurance slot)
Sneak - Another one that seems pretty obvious
Illusion - To me this is one of the very best skills in the game because of how well rounded it is.
Conjuration - This should help aid me in battle and well as provide a distraction against groups or tough enemies.
Alteration - This is an awesome skill. It allows me to unlock doors in seconds, have a powerful shield and alter encumbrance.
Acrobatics - It's easy to control, starts me out at level 25 so I can shoot while jumping. :)

I figure this build would be great because the following skills govern 1 attribute: Agility (2), Endurance (1), Personality (1), Intelligence (1), Willpower (1) and Speed(1). Leveling up armor should be sweet because I can repair right after every battle. What do you think?

I've been gobbling up all the recently released information about Skyrim and it totally got me itching to play Oblivion once more. I picked up the GOTY edition and am ready to go...well mostly. I need to figure out how I should play the game.

My question for you folks is this: What class did you enjoy playing? I've always wanted to play a Thief and steal tons of stuff, make mad cash and break into every home at night, but I've always doubted their combat abilities. Is it possible to be a badass and a Theif? Do you have to use daggers and bow & arrows? If I recall correctly the Thieves guild has a really nice reward at the end of it.

What about a Mage?

My overall goal is to play the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild storylines because they're just so damn awesome. But it's been ages since I've played the game and I'm pretty sure I've messed up and forgotten some information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can be proficient at pretty much everything in Oblivion. I was a sword fighting stealth mage with a silver tongue and a knack for bows and arrows. You just need to understand how Bethesda's backwards-ass and broken character progression system works.

Stealth is pretty powerful at high levels, just as it is in Fallout 3 and New Vegas by the way.

When I first played Oblivion, I was a noob and only concentrated on Magick. It was a little difficult at first, but once I reached Arcane University I became practically invincible with custom spells. Also you can temporarily increase any other skill or attribute with magic so stuff like Charisma or speech became totally unnecessary. I finished the whole game (minus level checked quests) at level 3.

On successive playthroughs I couldn't totally give up on magick but also concentrated on melee, stealth, repair and power levelling.

I love leveling system and power levelling in TES IV. Coupled with magick everything becames so manageable but still fun.

I still have my GOTY copy, and plan to replay it before TES V. Unlike the original, it has a bug such that you cannot cure the vampirism though. That's OK since I really like managing vampirism as well.

First things first. Go on neogaf and search for a Oblivion Mod thread. It might take you a day or two but get some good mods installed. Then play as you wish. There is no "super" class. Everything can be fun.

First things first. Go on neogaf and search for a Oblivion Mod thread. It might take you a day or two but get some good mods installed. Then play as you wish. There is no "super" class. Everything can be fun.

I'm playing it on the X360. :/

I've decided on my build! I'm going for a sneaky, thief-like assassin. Let me know what you think.

Race: Dunmer
Birthsign: The Thief
Specialization: Stealth
Attributes: Agility & Speed

Skills
Marksman - To me this an obvious choice.
Armorer - So I can always have my equipment in top shape (plus to fill an endurance slot)
Sneak - Another one that seems pretty obvious
Illusion - To me this is one of the very best skills in the game because of how well rounded it is.
Conjuration - This should help aid me in battle and well as provide a distraction against groups or tough enemies.
Alteration - This is an awesome skill. It allows me to unlock doors in seconds, have a powerful shield and alter encumbrance.
Acrobatics - It's easy to control, starts me out at level 25 so I can shoot while jumping. :)

I figure this build would be great because the following skills govern 1 attribute: Agility (2), Endurance (1), Personality (1), Intelligence (1), Willpower (1) and Speed(1). Leveling up armor should be sweet because I can repair right after every battle. What do you think?

TJ's mod for the PC allowed you to become a super character. I used it to explore the entire map (including some ruins that aren't used in any quests) with impunity.

I played Oblivion like a spreadsheet. I exclusively had primary skills that were easy to level and controllable in order to get 3x5 attribute points per level up (or 2x5 + 1 luck on my second play through).

Your choice of skills looks good in this regard.

I wish Bethesda would overhaul the skill system to make it more intuitive. If you build a fighter with axe+sword+heavy armour, and actually play as a fighter you only get 2 str and 2 end for each level up. They should let you level up every 15 skill point advance and let primary skills count double towards attribute points.

Cheers

I played Oblivion like a spreadsheet. I exclusively had primary skills that were easy to level and controllable in order to get 3x5 attribute points per level up (or 2x5 + 1 luck on my second play through).

Same here. It's rather easy to end up with a completely gimped character if you try to play Oblivion intuitively.

Marksman is sort of gimped in Oblivion, it takes like 20 arrows to kill a minotaur even at high skill levels.

You're probably better off going with blade skill (perhaps pairted with destruction, if you want to attack enemies from long range) as most of the harder dungeons are very close quarters and using a bow will be cumbersome.

And armorer is useless, especially for a thief class. Perhaps it'd be slightly useful if you were a warrior with heavy armor skill, but you have no armor skill so i'd pick restoration instead, far more useful skill.

Conjuration is not really that great either, especially for a hybrid class.

If I were you, i'd go with:

Sneak
Alteration
Destruction
Blade
Illusion
Restoration
Acrobatics

I don't think armorer or marksman are useless.

Armorer is the repair right? Very useful for all classes to repair their equipment. And in the late game most of your equips will be enchanted so you'll need at least 50 to fix them (unless you prefer to pay to fix). Getting repair hammers in bulk isn't too hard either.

Marksman is aimed for sneaky classes, to take advantage of the critical damage on unaware enemies (MUCH easier at range). Also should find an enchanted bow and keep it enchanted, and try to find some enchanted arrows.

Sometimes I like to use conjuration because of how fast it levels up, good for just casting over and over, and getting a good intellegence(? or willpower, don't remember) increase on level up.

I usually go for a hybrid blade/mage class.

Skills like

Blade
Destruction
Restoration
Alchemy (fast level up and potions are very useful)
Conjuration
Athletics
Light Armor (don't think the robes in the game are that useful and I like the speed and weight over heavy)

I don't know if this gimps me relative to other characters but it's the funnest way to play IMO :)

Conjuration is not really that great either, especially for a hybrid class.

Conjuration is strictly for controlled levelling, it should be a major skill. Conjure a dagger, sheathe it, conjure another. Repeat ad nauseum until level up.

That is one of the problems with Oblivion. L233's epic post lists all the shortcomings of Oblivion.

I stll played through it.. twice, bought every expansion, completed almost every quest. Level 50 with 100 in all attributes (including luck), 100 in all skills, except athletics. This game could have been fantastic.

Cheers

I think the enjoyment of Oblivion comes down to how much you are into the sandbox free-reign adventuring and exploration aspect. This is me. I am all about game AI advancements and virtual world stuff.

The leveled nonsense is a real impediment to feeling achievement though, regardless of what you're after. I think the biggest problem is how obvious it is, with the highwaymen with Daedric/Glass walking around, and the very hard chests with apples. Who thought that shit up? :D

At least it sounds like they realized they screwed up bad and are moving in a bit different direction. We'll see. I'm going to avoid previews if I can maintain the willpower to do so.

That is one of the problems with Oblivion. L233's epic post lists all the shortcomings of Oblivion.

Hall Of Fame post.

I know this is the console forum but if you have it on PC (if not you can pick it up on the cheap) I strongly suggest Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It fixes the autoleveling and many other broken aspects of the game.
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=294 <-install this first
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=3953

Also the AF Level Mod fixes the character leveling system. Now you can use your major skills without fear of breaking your character at higher levels.
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=607

In response to the OP, I like to play as a thief/ranger type with mad bow and arrow skills. And with OOO thievery is actually worth your time.

I am also currently replaying it on PC. It runs at 4k60 on my RX 570 at max settings.

so many memories of this game. Seeing this game running on a Xbox 360 was incredible in march 2006. I had never seen anything like it. Seeing a mountain in the distance and being able to get there... Oh my.... You knew then that the game would be impossible in the original Xbox era, even if the X360 had some cool games like PGR3 and the like, I think it wasn't a new generation began until this game was released.

LaFave, the best and most humorous Oblivion imitator has uploaded a video on the game. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Also did Pewdiedie.

Back