The Razor Onza...a portent for the XB720 gamepad

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
The logical evolution of Xbox gamepad design...add two more shoulder buttons?

razer-onza-xbox360-professional-controller-5.jpg

Xbox = two shoulder triggers

Xbox 360 = two shoulder buttons & two shoulder triggers

Xbox 720 = four shoulder buttons & two shoulder triggers?

I hope not, I have enough trouble keeping track of the existing buttons on the X360 controller. I suppose you young whipper snappers are more adaptable. :)

Regards,
SB

It makes games easier to control...hence it is being banned by MLG.

There is Kinnect if you desire simplistic controls.

Xbox = two shoulder triggers

Xbox 360 = two shoulder buttons & two shoulder triggers

Xbox 720 = four shoulder buttons & two shoulder triggers?

Except... isn't the 360 pad basically the DS/DS2, except laid out in a way that a lot of people find more comfortable?

I can't wait to get my hands on this, preorders start tommorow.

Will mean I can finally use Bumper Jumper while maintaining use of armor abilities in Halo Reach.

The adjustable resistance sticks will also help us who play on high sensitivities.

It makes games easier to control...hence it is being banned by MLG.

There is Kinnect if you desire simplistic controls.

More buttons doesn't mean easier to control, it means more controls. The reason its banned in MLG is because the two buttons are fully programmable macro command buttons. In competitions they would rather have a fair playing field. Having a built in jump turn button (when your opponents do not) is problematic.

More buttons doesn't mean easier to control, it means more controls. The reason its banned in MLG is because the two buttons are fully programmable macro command buttons. In competitions they would rather have a fair playing field. Having a built in jump turn button (when your opponents do not) is problematic.

No... Razer especially did not add macros for that very reason, the configurable bumpers can only be set to a single press of some other button - not a combination.

MLG has said they're banning the Onza controllers because it'd be hard to tell if they've been modded with things like macros or rapid fire in competitions.

More on topic, isn't the extra shoulder button for more of a DS2 config? I have some trouble with the 360 controller when a game requires RB and RT to be used at the same time, pulling the trigger with my middle finger isn't as comfortable.

Also... I mostly use Razer equipment for PC, but in my experience their stuff just isn't that hardy. I'd wait a long while before I'd switch the already-proven sturdiness of the 360 controller for this.

I came into this thread thinking you were gonna start talking about the new Razor split motion controller for PC that was demoed with Portal 2 at CES (i think)...

I thought "hell yes!!!... that should def be where MS go with the controller of their next console"...

Then i saw a 360 gamepad with two extra shoulder buttons and was bitterly dissappointed :(

Split controller FTW, will open up the way for Kinect+gamepad games. See all the PC Kinect hacks involving a Wiimote.

dragonelite said:
Is it even possible to improve stick accuracy next gen.
Not really. The sticks themselves are already very accurate; the problem is their limited range of motion makes them difficult for humans to control. Imagine being given a 20,000dpi mouse with only a 2 inch square mousepad to use it on. About the only thing they can do is make the sticks slightly taller, increase the resistance, and make the resistance linear for more consistent control.

Split controller FTW, will open up the way for Kinect+gamepad games. See all the PC Kinect hacks involving a Wiimote.
Splittable controller seems more convenient ... for a lot of games the gamepad will stay ideal, and the gamepad has the advantage that you can hold it in one hand while taking a break to stuff your face or have a drink.

Not really. The sticks themselves are already very accurate; the problem is their limited range of motion makes them difficult for humans to control. Imagine being given a 20,000dpi mouse with only a 2 inch square mousepad to use it on. About the only thing they can do is make the sticks slightly taller, increase the resistance, and make the resistance linear for more consistent control.

That probably why some companies made those stick plugs to make them taller. Saw a video where they replaced the right stick with a trackball.

It looks quit accurate

Splittable controller seems more convenient ... for a lot of games the gamepad will stay ideal, and the gamepad has the advantage that you can hold it in one hand while taking a break to stuff your face or have a drink.

I actually agree with you here, as after playing alot of KZ3 & MAG with the Move and Nav con i get hand cramps after only a very short time of play (this may just be because i have monstrously large hands tho ;-)).

I think sometimes it's nicer to have a control pad because you're using both hands to support the same device, it feels easier to access all the bottons on the controller. I still can'y get used to the D-Pad on the Nav con (as i have to either rotate the controller to support it and stop it falling out of my hands when i go from stick to d-pad, or i have to shift my grip around). It's generally ok but a Dual Shock is much more confortable for me.

Its a shame Microsofts butthole wireless policies (for some reason licensees have a hard time making wireless 360 peripherals) mean the Onza is wired only. Pretty big negative there.

Otherwise, at the same price as the regular 360 controller, I might have picked one up. Then again the standard 360 controller is near perfect anyway imo.

I dont care for the doubled up shoulder buttons, though. Seems the second pair would just get in the way, button overload.

Back