Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

How is the SSD in the PS3 treating you overall? I've been considering looking at putting one in, or possibly one of Seagate(?)'s new 750GB/8GB flash hybrid drives.

Well, it made Skyrim sort of playable. I also don't have texture streaming issues in Rage. Unfortunately I don't really give a damn about Rage. Haven't really noticed any other differences. The last two games I played somewhat extensively both ran straight from the disc. I think I'll give the Sacred 2 disc another spin. Maybe the SSD is going to help with the streaming issues which plague the game once you're inside most of the bigger settlements (you know, where you can barely take a couple of steps before the loading icon appears).

I was hoping it would improve some of the streaming hick-ups the Assassin's Creed games suffer from, but unfortunately that's not the case.

I'll probably take it out of the console sooner or later and use it in my PC. Seems like a bit of a waste in the PS3, especially since it's nowhere near as spacious as the mechanical disc drive I replaced with it.

i am level 38 now and finished tons of side quests (finished mages and thieves)... 3 or 4 missions finished from main quest
just discovered the 7000 mountain and learned shouts
:D ... my save file is over 8,8MB big now but the game is unplayable from 7 MB big save file .. lags are everywhere ... towns are runing with 15FPS avg and running is impossible... i have PS3 slim with 7200RPM drive

RDK said:
i am level 38 now and finished tons of side quests (finished mages and thieves)... 3 or 4 missions finished from main quest * SPOILER * :D ... my save file is over 8,8MB big now but the game is unplayable from 7 MB big save file .. lags are everywhere ... towns are runing with 15FPS avg and running is impossible... i have PS3 slim with 7200RPM drive

Damn. My save file is already at 4.7 mob after 20h. Guess I'm gonna go on pc

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/01/19/news-on-the-creation-kit-and-game-updates/

Skyrim’s 1.4 update is currently undergoing testing on all three platforms. The update will include fixes and optimizations for the most common issues people have been reporting (see below). We’re hoping to finalize this next week, and submit it to the console manufacturers for certification, as well as release on PC.

Current 1.4 Changelog (all platforms unless noted)

NEW FEATURES

Skyrim launcher support for Steam Workshop (PC)

BUG FIXES

General optimizations for memory and performance
Fixed occasional issue with armor and clothing not displaying properly when placed on mannequin’s in player’s house. (PS3)
Improved compiler optimization settings (PC)
Long term play optimizations for memory and performance (PS3)
Memory optimizations related to scripting
Fixed crashes related to pathing and AI
Fixed crash in Haemar’s Shame if player had already completed “A Daedra’s Best Friend”
Fixed rare crash with loading saved games
Fixed issue with accented characters not displaying properly at the end of a line
Master Criminal achievement/trophy unlocks properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian
Fixed issue where dragon priest masks would not render correctly
Fixed issue where quests would incorrectly progress after reloading a save
Fixed issues with placing and removing books from bookshelves in the player’s home
Fixed issue where weapon racks and plaques would not work correctly in player’s house if player immediately visits their house before purchasing any furnishing.
Fixed issue where the player house in Windhelm would not clean up properly
Fixed crash related to giant attacks and absorb spells
Fixed issue with ash piles not cleaning up properly
Fixed occasional issue where overwriting an existing save would fail
Fixed memory crash with container menu
Fixed infinite loop with bookshelves
Fixed issue where traps in Shalidor’s Maze would not work properly in French, German, Spanish and Italian versions
Fixed issue where transforming back to human from werewolf would occasionally not fail
Bows and daggers will display properly when placed on weapon racks

QUEST FIXES

The Unusual Gem inside the Thalmor Embassy is now accessible after finishing “Diplomatic Immunity”
In “Breaching Security”, the quest token is no longer required to receive a fortune reading from Olava the Feeble
Fixed issue where Galmar would not complete Joining the Stormcloaks properly if “Season Unending” was an active quest
Fixed issue where starting “Season Unending” after finishing “Joining the Stormcloaks” would prevent “The Jagged Crown” from starting properly.
Fixed issue progressing through “Message to Whiterun” while “Season Unending” was still open would block progression for both quests.
In “Arniel’s Endeavor”, fixed issue where a quest journal would trigger multiple times
In “Forbidden Legend”, the amulet fragment can no longer disappear after player leaves a dungeon without taking it
Fixed rare issue in “Forbidden Legend” where killing Mikrul Gauldurson while sneaking would make his corpose unaccessible
In “The White Phial”, the phial can no longer disappear if player leaves dungeon without taking it
“The White Phial” will now start properly if player already has a briar heart in their inventory
Player can no longer get stuck in Misty Grove after completing “A Night to Remember”
Fixed issue where leaving Riften during “A Chance Arrangement” would prevent quest from progressing
In “Darkness Returns”, a door in Twilight Sepulcher will properly open if the player leaves the dungeon for an extended period of time before completing the quest
In “Under New Management”, if the player leaves the Oculory for an extended period of time after placing the focusing crystal and returns, the quest will proceed correctly
“Onmund’s Request” will now start properly if player has already found Enthir’s staff before receiving this quest
Fixed instance where Tonilia would stop buying stolen items and also would not give Guild Leader Armor
“Repairing the Phial” will start properly if player already has unmelting snow or mammoth tusk in their inventory
Finding Pantea’s Flute before speaking with Pantea no longer prevents her quest from updating
In “The Coming of the Dawn”, fixed rare instance where a quest object would spawn incorrectly on the Katariah during Hail Sithis
Fixed rare issue in “The Mind of Madness” where player is unable to equip the Wabbajack
Fixed issue in “Pieces of the Past” where Mehrunes Dagon’s Razor will not trigger properly if player leaves the cell for extended period of time before activating it
“Blood’s Honor” will start properly if you visited and completed Driftshade and an extended period of time passes before starting the quest.
Fixed rare issue where “Dampened Spirits” would not start properly
Fixed issue where player would be unable to become Thane of Riften if they purchased a home first
Fixed issue where killing guards in Cidhna Mine woud block progression for “No One Escapes Cidhna Mine”
Fixed numerous issues with “Blood on the Ice” not triggering properly
In “Blood on the Ice”, Calixto can now be killed if player owns a house in Windhelm
In “The Cure for Madness”, killing Cicero then resurrecting him no longer impedes quest progress
Fixed rare issue in “To Kill an Empire” where an NPC would fail to die properly
Clearing Knifepoint Ridge before starting “Boethiah’s Champion” no longer prevents quest from starting.

Skyrim 1.4 patch coming tomorrow on consoles
I tested the patch a couple of hours yesterday. No major changes for me, but I have to admit that I firmly believe that I am one of the few lucky ones who so far have had no issues with how my Xbox 360 processed the code of the game and I haven't experienced game breaking bugs or issues.

Also I had never played nor completed the listed quests that have been fixed before patch 1.4, so I can embark upon them from now on, I hope.

Changing subject, one of the concept artists of Skyrim -a game which art direction I love, by the way- has passed away on February 8. He was 30 years old, I think? Very young. :cry: RIP Adam Adamowicz

adam%20a%20004.jpg

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/10/rip-skyrimfallout-3-artist-adam-adamowicz/

You can see a collection of his works here:

http://www.awesome-robo.com/2012/02/farewell-adam-adamowicz-visual-mind.html

EDIT: Skyrim also got top honours at the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences 15th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, winning five awards, including Game of the Year

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-10-aias-2011-awards-winners-revealed

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I completed the game with my best character. She can be mighty proud of herself. She is a very good person, she cares for others, and she
turned her could shoulder on Ulfric "the sellout", who is nothing but a unintelligent puppet so the damn Thalmor can take control of the whole empire of Tamriel, which is their true goal in the end.

I sent the Thalmor out of the negotiation table -one of my best moments ever in a videogame, loved that decision- and I am their number one public enemy right now. :smile:

The richness of the universe Bethesda created in the planet Nirn allows for those things.

Now that the empire is weakened they want the war is the perfect scenario for the Thalmor, because all they want is having control of Tamriel. The indomitable seas of the coast doesn't allow them to conquer Skyrim with an army of ships, their only option is the continental borders.

Not that the empire is perfect but they are the most balanced and have very smart ways to dealing with the complicated politics of the planet Nirn. The Thalmor want to get rid of some key allies to the Empire, the allies that make them strong, like the Mages -
which is the reason Ancano wanted to destroy the College and was an infiltrator there
, the Blades, Hammerfell warriors -there is the Redguard woman story-, the emperor (you are the Dragonborn... hence you could be the emperor, it all makes sense) and also argonians, dark elves etc... are always allies to the empires and you would be abandoning them if you don't support their cause. The nords have been faithful allies, and since they are some of the strongest warriors, the Empire needs them and the Thalmor want to control Skyrim.

I am against some of the politics of the Blades, necessary allies to the empire, though. But I dealt with that without a single fight.

Now I am going to complete the war storyline. I gave Markarth to the Stormcloaks and Riften to the Empire, and also asked for some compensation to the empire .:smile:

I will bring peace to Skyrim by defeating the Thalmor after my impudence mwahahahahaha, and then I am going to dethrone Ulfric joining the imperials, killing two birds with one stone. Master plan which is going to debilitate the Thalmor and make them leave Skyrim once and for all and let the peace reign, and not stupid sellouts like Ulfric who is inadvertently working for the Thalmor. Such a bright Nobel prize mind he has... :rolleyes:

I'm really enjoying this game and will have to go back and play it some more right now.

Got to say that I love this game! The 1.4 patch also sorted out most framerate issues on the ps3 ( but not completely).

So far I've made one Mage that I have played with for 50 hours, did imperial side, mages guild, and lots of random quests!

Now I've made a dual wielding heavy armor tank who I also like. Think I'm gonna do the main quest with him. I became a werewolf which is awesome!

I'm quite sure I'm gonna make a stealth guy later! Luuuuw the game

Louis Letrush just won't stop cloning himself in my game. I now have 5 of him right next to the Whiterun stables. Since he's immortal there's no way for me to keep the Letrush population in check either. Looks pretty funny.

Bethesda have released details about the new 1.5 patch, which features new cameras and some bug fixes and optimizations.

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/03/15/new-features-highlight-1-5-update/

NEW FEATURES
New cinematic kill cameras for projectile weapons and spells
New kill moves and animations for melee weapons
Shadows on grass available (PC)
Smithing skill increases now factor in the created item’s value
Improved visual transition when going underwater
Improved distance LOD transition for snowy landscapes

BUG FIXES
General crash fixes and memory optimizations
Fixed issue with Deflect Arrows perk not calculating properly
In “A Cornered Rat,” the death of certain NPCs no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Farkas would not give Companion’s quests properly
Fixed crash when loading saves that rely on data that is no longer being loaded
Followers sneak properly when player is sneaking
Fixed issue with weapon racks not working properly in Proudspire Manor
Arrows and other projectiles that were stuck in objects in the world now clean up properly
Fixed issue where “Rescue Mission” was preventing “Taking Care of Business” from starting properly
Fixed issue where certain NPCs would fail to become Thieves Guild fences
Fixed issue in “Diplomatic Immunity” where killing all the guards in the Thalmor Embassy before starting the quest would break progress
In “Hard Answers,” picking up the dwarven museum key after completing the quest, no longer restarts the quest
Killing Viola before or after “Blood on the Ice” no longer blocks progression
Fixed issue where Calixto would fail to die properly in “Blood on the Ice”
In “Waking Nightmare” fixed occasional issue where Erandur would stop pathing properly
Fixed issue where letters and notes with random encounters would appear blank
Fixed rare issue where dialogue and shouts would improperly play
Lydia will now offer marriage option after player purchases Breezehome in Whiterun
Fixed issue where if player manually mined ore in Cidhna Mine, jail time would not be served
Fixed rare issue with skills not increasing properly
Fixed issue where the Headsman’s Axe did not gain proper buff from Barbarian perk
In “A Night to Remember” it is no longer possible to kill Ysolda, Ennis or Senna before starting the quest
Fixed issue with the ebony dagger having a weapon speed that was too slow
Fixed issue with “The Wolf Queen Awakened” where backing out of a conversation with Styrr too soon would block progress
The third level of the Limbsplitter perk now properly improves all battle axes
Fixed a rare issue where Sanguine Rose would not work properly
In “Tending the Flames” King Olaf’s Verse will no longer disappear from explosions

Louis Letrush just won't stop cloning himself in my game. I now have 5 of him right next to the Whiterun stables. Since he's immortal there's no way for me to keep the Letrush population in check either. Looks pretty funny.

:LOL::LOL:

Please please please take a picture... I need to see a picture!

I bought this game on PS3 and only started playing after the most recent patch to fix all the slowdown issues. Loving it so far :D

I have a hard time making money though (mainly cuz i spend it faster than i can earn it) :p

The game is amazing though, and I love that it did so well commercially. Hopefully publishers will start aping WRPGs like Skyrim instead of COD all the time :)

I enjoy the combat. Much better than Morrowind (never played oblivion). But I do wish they'd implemented a system like the one in Dead island where you can target various area of your enemies bodies and strike them with differing effects. Being able to cripple an opponent by knee capping him with a warhammer would have been amazing.

Guys I just put up a new interview with Matt Carofano, the Lead Artist on Skyrim, to talk about many things including; Dawnguard, the next-generation of consoles, what's after Skyrim for Bethesda Game Studios, loot, Vampire Lords, future iteration of the Creation engine, The Elder Scrolls MMO, armored Trolls, and why you cannot change your sex or race in Skyrim.

<Snip!>

This is one I was asked to pass on to you from several fans: How much loot, or rather, how much additional stuff is being added to the game?
Well there's the full set of Dragon Bone weapons. <Thinks> We give you a lot of gear on the Dawnguard side. That helps balance out the Vampire Lord’s abilities. The Dawnguard stuff has; new light and heavy armor, new weapons, you can have a new type of dog companion, [and] an armored troll to come fight with you. On the Vampire Lord side you have a whole new perk tree and we also added a whole new perk tree for Werewolves too. That's another feature we added to the game even though it's not part of the [Dawnguard] story. We wanted to make the Werewolves more interesting, more playable for higher levels, so we expanded on that. There's a lot of stuff in the game.

Did I see a new mount in the Dawnguard trailer?
Yes! So in the realm of Soul Cairn--the realm of trapped souls--you can get a miscellaneous quest to find the Skull of Arvak. He’s this lost horse who's been taken over, turned undead in this realm. So if you find his skull you can ride him all around and even back in Tamriel.

<Snip!>

The rest is over here: http://eat-games.tumblr.com

Mysteries of life, coincidentally enough, today I *suffered* a stroke of nostalgia, and wanted to play some Skyrim after the hundreds of hours I spent playing it almost a year go.

Unwittingly I began to download the two expansions of the game without realizing that....

....today marks the first anniversary of its launch date! :smile:

I consider it a little masterpiece, despite the fact that it is far from perfect.

This is one of the very few, extremely rare series that cause me melancholy. This happens since the days of Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim. I usually keep good memories of my days playing these games in particular, for some reason.

But I am still on the fence for which one I actually prefer of the three. I can only dream about the day a new Elder Scrolls is launched, the fascination and hype coming back again. Hopefully it will be set in Elsweyr or Argonia.

Ok, a message prompted saying that I have downloaded the expansions, gotta play a little....

Playing it through for the first time now :D Probably around 130 hours in and completed maybe 50% of the missions (saving the main story lines for last). Looks incredible and 3d in modded to the hilt!

Problem in Skyrim for me: I did lots of side quests without bordering about the main quest. Pure mage. Did the super duper mage spell quests. But now I am way overpowered. I just run through the main quest, not even a chance to die. No challenge anymore, that is why I stopped playing.

I have been kicking around Skyrim on and off as of late, and told a friend on Live that I had noticed the colours seemed more vivid compared to what I remember from old versions of Skyrim.

This happened after I installed the last patch, 1.9. I just mentioned this in passing to her, without placing great importance to that fact.

But recently a guy uploaded a comparative and the results are staggering. Now I know that my intuition worked in this case.

Bethesda made the game more vivid and colourful when they were debugging patch 1.9. I also increased the gamma and the game looks better now than ever to me.

Who said that graphics on a console can't improve over time?

iXKiZGvQ5mual.png

itO7TFfuz1CWt.png

ij30twIXynYdC.png

ivzwbbwyM2ziN.png

il1KsSbxOtskj.png

ibfLE4By6T6xOK.png

http://i3.minus.com/iUwdZSWG4zmew.png
http://i1.minus.com/ibdlxlRfoyb4HH.png
http://i1.minus.com/i0bMMzOJZufX.png
http://i5.minus.com/iI5NZPMYMlkVz.png
http://i4.minus.com/ibnnTh2cjFFXzd.png
http://i4.minus.com/ibqNjaqKOjfkl8.png
http://i3.minus.com/iltakqEpQ4nin.png

That's too much, IMO. Looks oversaturated and cartoonish to me, not like the understated realism I'm used to from playing the PC version.

That's too much, IMO. Looks oversaturated and cartoonish to me, not like the understated realism I'm used to from playing the PC version.
Perhaps it is a bit exaggerated in the pics because while I can kind of notice the effects -not in the expansion Dragonborn, I realised something had changed when I returned to Skyrim, the original, which I love and prefer- they aren't as evident as those pics suggest.

Lucky boy, the PC version is far superior not only because of technology but because of mods.

Taking into account that this is the closer thing to a mod we will get from Bethesda on consoles, it isn't bad.

Back