Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

I haven't had any crashes yet, but I'm only about 15 hour in on PS3.

What I was always wondering is if there is any repercussion for not sleeping at all?
In Oblivion, if you didn't sleep, you wouldn't level up, but this has been removed in Skyrim.
I think it's rather odd for an RPG like this to never have to sleep at all. Doesn't really feel ... human.

I haven't had any crashes yet, but I'm only about 15 hour in on PS3.

What I was always wondering is if there is any repercussion for not sleeping at all?
In Oblivion, if you didn't sleep, you wouldn't level up, but this has been removed in Skyrim.
I think it's rather odd for an RPG like this to never have to sleep at all. Doesn't really feel ... human.
The fact of the matter is that sleeping has its advantages. (apart from avoiding people telling you that you "look tired friend")

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Sleeping

I have become a werewolf. Really fun, It almost feels like cheating :smile:. I am playing on Expert setting and any help is welcome. My diplomatic Breton magician who is an expert in alchemy -my next character Louris Alms Cosgal- will be a Werewolf too after trying it. I am waiting for 1.3 patch because the resistances bug removes a good part of the strategy when using equipment or boosting your magic skills, but I think I'll start my character before it comes out.

edit: my first character, a melee -one handed´with axes + shield argonian- remained neutral until now, level 20 -though I was going to join the stormcloaks-, but I will support the Stormcloaks with my second one since the very beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody popularity contests. Besides the fact that the game was released in varying states of brokenness, it's nothing more than a fresh coat of paint on the same game they released twice before. The A.I. is still brain-dead, the story is still devoid of any sense of urgency, npcs still talk like people write, not like people talk, the combat still sucks, your actions are still inconsequencial, 9 out of 10 quests are of the fetch or kill variety, and actual role-playing doesn't go beyond accepting or declining quests. It's really big, though.

Bloody popularity contests. Besides the fact that the game was released in varying states of brokenness, it's nothing more than a fresh coat of paint on the same game they released twice before. The A.I. is still brain-dead, the story is still devoid of any sense of urgency, npcs still talk like people write, not like people talk, the combat still sucks, your actions are still inconsequencial, 9 out of 10 quests are of the fetch or kill variety, and actual role-playing doesn't go beyond accepting or declining quests. It's really big, though.
Don't hold back... Tell us what you _really_ think.

I think it's still fun. A bit like a shallow summer movie really. It's pretty, it's bloated, and it's ultimately rather forgettable. There are no "destruction of Megaton" -moments in Skyrim unfortunately.

Besides the fact that the game was released in varying states of brokenness, it's nothing more than a fresh coat of paint on the same game they released twice before. The A.I. is still brain-dead, the story is still devoid of any sense of urgency, npcs still talk like people write, not like people talk, the combat still sucks, your actions are still inconsequencial, 9 out of 10 quests are of the fetch or kill variety, and actual role-playing doesn't go beyond accepting or declining quests. It's really big, though.

I think it's still fun. A bit like a shallow summer movie really. It's pretty, it's bloated, and it's ultimately rather forgettable. There are no "destruction of Megaton" -moments in Skyrim unfortunately.

As someone who is thoroughly enjoying this game more so than I have most other games in quite some time (with some exceptions, of course), I'm surprised that I can't really disagree with any of your points. Perplexing. :???:

Although honestly, before Mass Effect I would never have looked at it in that light.

Oh, except for the combat sucks, part. That I disagree with. I don't think it sucks. I think it's adequate most of the time, and can have some satisfying moments, depending on your play style.

As someone who is thoroughly enjoying this game more so than I have most other games in quite some time (with some exceptions, of course), I'm surprised that I can't really disagree with any of your points. Perplexing. :???:
Not perplexing. Sometimes a Big Mac and Fries is way more satisfying than a fancy-pants expensive nouveau-cuisine meal even if it's not doing anything new or exiciting or impressive. A lot of the most popular pastimes are never changing. Every football match you watch is the same thing as every other, but they are still entertaining, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying a game built on core principles of good, engaging game design. Whether it deserved to win a GOTY award or not, these contests are always popularity contests. That Justin Bieber can win an award for his music when he can't even sing just proves that! Still, it makes for a nice addition to the packaging and should help sell more units, so the business purpose of such competitions is satisfied.

I wholeheartedly disagree with almost everything. Except for the bugs thing, and the fact that the decision-making, essential in an RPG, is a bit limited in quite a few occasions. I created a mage and I decided to travel to Winterhold before doing anything else -apart from the Bleak Falls Barrow quest- to become good at magic before starting with any quest, and there I was given different choices, at least when I joined the mage college. That's something I missed in some conversations or quests.

The combat doesn't suck. Mainly because the game has many different kinds of combat. You can be an archer, a mage -with different trees and specializations (mine will be a summoner and a healer), a melee tank, an expert on stealth and daggers, and assassin... etc. It's one of my favourite things about TES games, there many ways to confront baddies.

They also improved their 3rd person camera for those who prefer the combat with that camera, which is fully customizable now (press & hold right trigger, then up or down on the left trigger).

But yeah. Decision making criticism. Seems legit to me. I totally used to go into tantrums when I disagreed with an opinion over a game I loved.., some years ago. I think I've been kind this time around.

Incidentally, when some guy would say mean things to a game I love, I would rage. :p Happens with people too.

And that's where fanboyism comes from. :B

Here is a video of Cliff Bleszinski and his fiancée (who he says she is the love of his life), unboxing the Skyrim limited edition. He has grown to love the game.

In the video he clearly says "I was never much of an Elder Scrolls fan honestly"... :p So Bethesda might have made a commendable piece of work with Skyrim because now he says it's his favourite game since the original Zelda.

He is also surprised they managed to fit the game on one disc.

The unpacking video where he says that:

Here is a collection of Cliff Bleszinski tweets about Skyrim. :smile: Is it just me or he says "romantic" things about Lydia?

From http://twitter.com/therealcliffyb

Spent a good amount of time gushing to Todd Howard tonight. Also tried to get him to join Twitter.

DEAR BETHESDA AND JEREMY SOULE, YOU'RE NOT MAKING IT EASY TO TAKE MY MOTHERFUCKING MONEY!

Okay, if Zenimax is going to take the Skyrim soundtrack down off of youtube can anyone point me to a place where I can BUY a digital copy?!

Really, it's not out? It's only available for pre-order...on CD?! What is this, 1994?

Kind of weird how western RPGs just kind of...took over...

Its FUS" Yeah well I hear BOOSH!

Love standing in front of a fancy dinner table in Skyrim and yelling BOOSH to send all of it flying. (I hear "DOUCHE" whenever I do this.)

When Todd Howard takes the stage for Skyrim as GOTY I'm going to pull a Kanye

Genius. This is awesome, want! RT @matthewrex: Oh snap, there's a #Skyrim map app coming to iOS! bit.ly/sQ08nY

A Bethesda game with bugs? Unheard of." It's nearly impossible to ship something this huge and deep without *some* bugs.

Backed up a few saves, seemed to resolve itself. Whew. Now I'm going to bludgeon Grelod the Kind and revel in the cheers of the orphans.

On what platform you playin' on?" 360, not installed to HD.

More importantly, why are you up at 930am on a Saturday? Are you that hooked on #Skyrim?!

my nephew, Nate, because he's a badass. Who showers a lot and will love Skyrim :D

Flying back to Skyri...er, Raleigh!

My 16 year old nephew "What's this Skyrim you keep talking about?" Instantly dropped everything and ran out to get him a copy.

In Skyrim whenever I speed up time to wait I half expect to resume covered in pigeons and birdshit.

Lydia vs Gate - Best Skyrim video lol... youtube.com/watch?v=MTMwjY…

I wonder if Lydia has chlamydia

Skyrim is shaping up to be my favorite game since the original Legend of Zelda. That's right, I said it. This game is shaking me to my core.

Okay, I have Lydia and Delphine in my party. All I need is a campsite and some mead and it's so on like Donkey Kong

Lydia, oh Lydia, how far do I have to run in Skyrim to get rid of ya?!

Always find it funny how my love of other games confuses the Twitterverse. As if I'm only supposed to love Gears or Unreal Engine games. :p

@therealcliffyb on one condition you share your personal game of the year not including gears 3." Gotta say... Skyrim tbh.

SKYRIM, PICKLES and BEER.

I have had a hard time concentrating in meetings today due to thoughts of #Skyrim bouncing around in my head.

Dreamt I ran into @morganwebb as an NPC in #Skyrim last night. I spent the whole time putting pots and cauldrons on her head.

Anyone else notice how "Game of Thrones" Skyrim feels? In a good way.

I have to agree with Cliffy. Skryim is stupidly good. There's an overwhelming amount of content but even then I'm afraid it'll end one day :(

Something really cool happened inside a fort. There were some people trapped in cells where apparently some fellow mages where doing some sort of experiments or something.

The people didn't seem hostile nor they appeared as enemies. So I opened the cells' doors one by one -they have an Apprentice lock, so it wasn't that hard-, and when I approached them inside the cell they were Vampires!

I could talk to them. It said "Talk: Vampire". I tried and without attacking me they just said: "Out of the way, meat".

The thing is that there were some hostile mages nearby and they helped me getting rid of them. Since I am all not for fighting, it was a blessing.

That's why my next magician will be an Illusion expert, because watching enemies fighting themselves and not me, or not having to intervene in a fight, has to be pretty amusing.

They were tough as hell and really helpful, with my Familiar and their help I didn't have to attack at all. Only one of them survived though, and she summoned her own vampire -another vampire who died in the fight, the AI used the Raise Dead skill-. :smile:

This was one of my best moments in the game.

I feel this way about every Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall. Buggy as hell, freaking enormous, lots and lots of broken or not-very-good stuff, but, you know, big.

Against my better judgment, I bought Oblivion. Daggerfall was quite disappointing, and I loathed Morrowind, but I figured what the hell, $20 isn't bad, and I know I don't want Dragon Age II. It was fun at first, a little bit of bug-based hilarity, but I'm starting to feel the infamous treadmill of enemies that level up with you now, and I'm starting to wonder what the point is.

I'll eventually get Skyrim in a similar moment of weakness, and I suppose whatever about this game is horribly wrong and broken will turn me off after a few days, or maybe a week or two.

Skyrim patch 1.3 is now live. Yay, finally I can use some strategy with my summoner-healer when dealing with resistances.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-15-skyrim-patch-1-3-on-xbox-live-now

On a different note, I wonder... have you had a dragon attacking inside a walled city? I've seen them close to Whiterun sometimes, but never attacked when I was in a city.

Time ago I found this place in the video while wandering around so I know it somehow but what happens is totally unexpected. Yesterday I watched a horse flying and then he died in front of me. No news on the rider. Other than that I haven't experienced bugs whatsoever.

After Assassin's Creed this again one of those cases where I believed the hype... BTW, I loved Oblivion with Obscuros mod, Morrowind + the first expansion was also great for me (just loved the tone of Morrowind and the politics in it). Not to mention that the 4J studios PS3 port of Oblivion (I bought the GOTY edition) was very good...

I find Skyrim fantastic, the only thing that irks me is that instead for me to enjoy the great bugs and inane storytelling I sometimes get interrupted by fantastic moments (the great character generation, looking at your char while the sun gets up, sneaking up to a much stronger enemy with an pesky dagger and backstabbing him etc.), what's up with that?

Seriously, I am not a writer, but if stories like Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain and, the on topic example, Skyrim are great then I really should stop my day job, start writing and sell the stories to people in the gaming industry. It would be probably turned down, because, you cannot let a good story to get into the way of "I am the saviour of everything" moments...

Bethesda took the easy way and, boy, it pays of for them. I would bet with anyone, would they fix:

a) the non existent AI
b) buggy quests
c) crappy ports (probably last Bethesda product I will buy for my PS3)
d) below average storytelling (really, I am veery special, what a fantastic story telling device)
e) calling an open world action adventure - RPG

etc. etc. they would have less sales than just:

a) improve the graphics
b) choose a nice release date
c) marketing, marketing, marketing (BTW, in the next Elder Scrolls we need bigger breasts, you cannot go on this way it is embarrassing)
d) ditching the character classes

Of the things they have really done well, ditching character classes and your are how/what you play is really a big improvement. Of course, the stupid mind reading of the NPCs ruins the RP aspect of it. Why is this still around? Don't tell me the player needs to be reminded that he is an conjurer magician not an plumber like in real life?

Yes, this is a highly subjective post, because I bought this below average game at full price and then I read about fantastic storytelling, fixed bugs and improved engine. Seems I got an different game on my blu ray.

Cheers...

After Assassin's Creed this again one of those cases where I believed the hype... BTW, I loved Oblivion with Obscuros mod, Morrowind + the first expansion was also great for me (just loved the tone of Morrowind and the politics in it). Not to mention that the 4J studios PS3 port of Oblivion (I bought the GOTY edition) was very good...

I find Skyrim fantastic, the only thing that irks me is that instead for me to enjoy the great bugs and inane storytelling I sometimes get interrupted by fantastic moments (the great character generation, looking at your char while the sun gets up, sneaking up to a much stronger enemy with an pesky dagger and backstabbing him etc.), what's up with that?

Seriously, I am not a writer, but if stories like Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain and, the on topic example, Skyrim are great then I really should stop my day job, start writing and sell the stories to people in the gaming industry. It would be probably turned down, because, you cannot let a good story to get into the way of "I am the saviour of everything" moments...

Bethesda took the easy way and, boy, it pays of for them. I would bet with anyone, would they fix:

a) the non existent AI
b) buggy quests
c) crappy ports (probably last Bethesda product I will buy for my PS3)
d) below average storytelling (really, I am veery special, what a fantastic story telling device)
e) calling an open world action adventure - RPG

etc. etc. they would have less sales than just:

a) improve the graphics
b) choose a nice release date
c) marketing, marketing, marketing (BTW, in the next Elder Scrolls we need bigger breasts, you cannot go on this way it is embarrassing)
d) ditching the character classes
The story is certainly far better than in Oblivion, which story was written in 5 minutes, maybe less.

The storytelling is interesting at least -I didn't complete the game yet, though-, and not something who wrote a 5 years old like in Oblivion. Morrowind story was okay too, imo.

I sometimes like to write. But english not being my first language, it takes some more time. The closest genre with which I could label my favourite way of storytelling would be something like Romantic or Magical Realism. I wrote a story about the background of my very first character, and I was thinking of writing another one about Louris Alms Cosgal, which is my new magician. I really get into the role when I play RPGs, and I have a tendency toward the romantic things when I think about my characters. I write just for fun, and publishing something ever in my life is a very unlikely eventuality, but anyways, maybe in 30 years, if I am still alive, then I could give it some more serious thought.

For the way I write. my phrases veer in general towards cliché; and trying to be beautiful, the sentences and romance veer towards the soap opera. I could write a way better story for Oblivion than the original. Not to get off topic, the story of Skyrim is fine, imo, and it's a game with lots of mini-stories inside, because of the quests, the guilds, etc, regardless the fact that the main storyline and the secondary ones are perfectly fused.

Bethesda treats the PS3 like it's still 2006 and everyone will still believe that the PS3 is just so hard to code for and so poorly designed that no one can be reasonably expected to produce software that works correctly on it. Or that this whole "open world" thing is such a new idea that no one can be expected to release stable code.

A guy wrote a heartbreaking story in joystiq.com , it has to be really difficult to lose the closest human being to you. :cry:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/15/skyrim-patch-1-3-up-for-xbox-360/

My wife of ten years passed away in September, we have a 6 year old son together. I've been playing Skyrim for the past 2 weeks now, I bought the game when it released but had been hesitant to play it because she was a gamer too. We even reserved 2 copies of the game so we wouldn't interrupt each others play time.

If there is a heaven, we both always imagined (hoped?) it would be a place where you could shape the world around you to be what you wanted it to be. We both agreed that our heaven would be a world like the one in the Elder Scrolls games. We would adventure together, she being a mage and me a tank.

Anyway, I know no one from Bethesda will read this, but I wanted to thank all of the people who worked on this game. I thought it would be too painful to play, but in a way, it has brought me closer to her.

From a grieving husband: thank you.

On a different topic, I was walking the road to some sweet place and a guard got close and he told me: "Hi there, Summoner", :smile: or something like that. I was very surprised because my character is actually a summoner, and Conjuration is my most leveled up skill.

I barely fight at all, I don't find it that fun. And sometimes I get in the middle of a brawl just to receive some damage thus I heal myself and increase my Restoration over time.

My frost Atronach is doing most of the fighting, except if the enemies have resistance to cold, in which case I use my fire Atronach. Gotta get the storm one, but I can't for now.

My wife and I are loving Skyrim to pieces. We aren't even really having any complaints with it on the PS3, either, or than the long load times when going into/out of buildings or fast travelling.

Given how open world it is, it would feel a bit like a shaggy dog story that never went anywhere, but the civil war plot is actually pretty engaging, and a lot of the incidental quests are well written in their own right.

Back