Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

With my PS3 dying revelaing how dangerous it is to store media on PS3, that makes the purpose of the HDD for game storage. So unless you like to accumulate lots of a games, a smallish SSD would suffice. I reckon a 60 SSD would be a very good economy for improving one's console performance, as the only hardware upgrade one can do.

There aren't really safe locations though!

That said, I'm finding my 120GB very cramped and I only have games and such on it. Of course I can make do, but 320GB (which I had before and have on my other PS3) is way more comfortable.

The only reason my 40GB is 'cramped' is because of large download titles, like DC Universe (if I wanted to play it). Disc games with large installs can be a problem, depending on how often you revisit. If you're more interested in performance than convenience, or like me have no need for storing lots of old games, then the SSD is sounding like a good upgrade opportunity. We'd need a good list of compatible devices though. I just had a quick look and a 150 MB/s 60 GB SSD was £60 new. I wonder how long until 60 GB SSDs can be got for £40? It'd be worth it to speed up the ludicrous loading of Might and Magic!

So, I spent way too much time last night trying to finish the Forbidden Legend quest. The final dungeon, boss battle, was pretty hard for me to do. In the end, and a lot of hours of questing later, Dildo prevailed and got himself a really shitty letdown of an amulet. Still, it was a lot of fun to play through.

Muffle is a great spell for increasing your illusion FAST.

You can always redownload a game. It's the game saves that's problematic. You'll want to backup those where possible. Or subscribe to PS+ and tick auto-update.

Purchased movies cannot be copied to another PS3, but you can call customer support and talk to the manager. He will allow you to redownload the purchased movies for free. I think they only do it once a year for you though.

Sigfried, I'm interested to know your SSD drive model too. As Phil mentioned, not all are compatible. If I ever get the game (i.e., if Skyrim is fixed for PS3), I will try it on both a Hybrid SSD + 7200rpm HDD and a regular 5400rpm one to see how they perform.

As far as single-player goes, I think Batman is still my game of the year, but this game is keeping me interested much longer than Oblivion and Fallout 3 ever did. The world is created beautifully. Exploring feels like exploring, and it's a lot of fun. I do find that the dungeons are populated with mostly the same monsters/traps, which kind of sucks. Visually, all of the dungeons and caves are interesting. There's still a lot I haven't seen, even though I'm about level 30.

Got my illusion up to 75 with the muffle spell exclusively. It goes up really fast. Just spam it as you're walking around, and be amazed at how fast it increases. I have no idea how many levels I gained just from improving my illusion. My character wears heavy armour, but my primary skills are block and sneak. I do a bit of everything else, usually sticking with a bound sword (conjuring) with some self buffs (stoneskin, muffle). I can heal a bit, have a few destruction spells. Lots of backstab and bow sneaks to soften enemies, before going sword and shield. If I cast destruction, I always keep my shield in my left. That bash ability is AMAZING. It's the easiest interrupt in the game, even works against dragons quite well. That said, I turned the game off last night as I got attacked by a frost dragon that was working me over quite easily.

Oh my... The game has finally arrived!!!!!!!! I created a cute, very colourful male Argonian, All I can say for now, is wow Bethesda. :oops: :love:

I can't explain exactly if I am crying on the inside or my heart is whistling cheerily, after the very first minutes playing it. I rarely felt this with a game ever in my life, sigh.

I noticed that apart from having a great antialiasing the game features HDR. It's very easily noticeable when you look at the sky and the lighting tries to emulate the feeling of the human iris before it adapts to a new lighting condition.

What a Goddam way to begin a game.... I am going to play a little. :runaway: :yep2:

edit: installed the game (X360 version) to a USB pendrive, it seems to work fine, no texture bug whatsoever, apparently.

Well, very first impressions:

- I am loving the game so much.

- Truly stunning antialiasing, as I said. Something Digital Foundry article didn't notice though, is that the edges of any book you read are very aliased, it may well cut the hands of your character while holding a book.

- The shadows, and graphics in general (no texture bug here, fortunately (Skyrim installed to a USB drive) are hugely improved over Oblivion. Shadows in particular, which were almost nonexistent in Oblivion. The shadows sometimes flicker on interiors, but the improvement is great.

- The draw distance is also improved in every possible way, rendering farther than in Oblivion, everything appears or fades in more naturally -there can be the odd pop in here and there-. The new technology Bethesda described as "All the Way" draw distance, works great on consoles. I can imagine it's even better on the PC.

- The story is also better than in Oblivion, This was so easy though, the background of the character I wrote in this forum has more depth than the whole story behind Oblivion. There is a sense of deepness behind the story since the very beginning.

- Time flies when playing this game.

- Oblivion remains unequaled to me in regards to the sheer state of amazement it left in me, which can be summed up in a few words just saying that I can't begin to describe how I felt when I saw those open landscapes for the first time running on a console, It was an amazing looking game when it was launched in early 2006 and what I though next generation would be about.

- I want to build and there are so many things to do, choices you can take, that I can play this for years. I am playing on Hard difficult mode right now and having a blast. My first character is an Argonian, mastering one-handed axes and a shield, mainly melee. Next one will be a Breton, a nature magician using the elements of nature. I want to create an archer too. A diplomatic alchemist. A Stealth character, expert at poisons, etc. A summoner -maybe a Wood Elf

- Tip: If you insist in talking to people by pressing A -where it says "Talk to (Someone), new conversation topics might appear.

- This will be perhaps my last great game this generation of consoles. I have those many different characters to try...

The way things are panning out, this is the more likely thing to happen.

I hit level 30 and suddenly my game became infinitely more difficult. Got myself a flame atronach to see if that would help, but it dies almost instantly. Even while blocking with the 50 percent elemental protection, I'll get killed by casters in 10 seconds or less. Many archers are 1 shotting me. Many melee enemies kill me in 2 or 3 hits. Even my sneak attacks barely deal damage. My companion gets 1 shotted and I cant keep him alive with heals. I need about 500 health potions, I think. I'm trying to do the first quest for The Companions, or whatever they're called, and I'm getting demolished. Two enemies in the same rom and I can't split them up. Basically impossible.

I'm kinda hitting a point now where everything sort of starts to blur together in Skyrim for me. Sure, the back stories of all the gazillion quests generally differ a great deal, but unlike in the beginning, they fail to distract me from the fact that I'm still pretty much doing the same old crap I've been doing for the last 50 hours. Definitely not anywhere near as gripping as Dark Souls with its vastly more varied environments and enemies was.

Also, Dragons are pansies.

I hit level 30 and suddenly my game became infinitely more difficult. Got myself a flame atronach to see if that would help, but it dies almost instantly. Even while blocking with the 50 percent elemental protection, I'll get killed by casters in 10 seconds or less. Many archers are 1 shotting me. Many melee enemies kill me in 2 or 3 hits. Even my sneak attacks barely deal damage. My companion gets 1 shotted and I cant keep him alive with heals. I need about 500 health potions, I think. I'm trying to do the first quest for The Companions, or whatever they're called, and I'm getting demolished. Two enemies in the same rom and I can't split them up. Basically impossible.
What difficulty level are you playing on? You can switch it whenever you can. I am playing on hard and I haven't had many problems, but it's also true I am still level 1 and I haven't seen much in this game.
I am just out of Helgen now

I am completing the game on hard whatever it takes, but being my first build, the creatures, dragons, etc, may most likely end up continuously killing my character eventually anyway... and then all that wasted time and progression will have been wasted. xP

Well, really, if that happens I would try ty increase some of my abilities going to easier places to confront enemies.

In that sense I liked the difficulty slider in Oblivion. It was crazy :mrgreen:. You could go from 1 to 100 if you wanted to. At 1 it was a walk in the park, at 100 even the smallest crab was a hell bringer.

I thought about the name of my second character already. He will be a nature magician Breton called Louris Alms Sarhkiin.

I'm playing on the third of the five difficulty settings, so I'm guessing "Normal" with whatever name they chose to call it. The game was incredibly easy until I hit level 30. Now I can barely fight anything. It's pretty annoying, because it wasn't a gradual ramp. If I should have put more skill points into straight up damage resistance and damage perks, it would have been nice to know ahead of time. My points are sunk, and leveling is slow, so it's rough going from here.

The new Eurogamer podcast is dedicated to Skyrim this week:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-22-eurogamer-net-podcast-91-blog-entry

A guy has traveled the whole length of Skyrim using a glitch I mentioned before and some console commands on the PC, and he found out the space the entire landmass of Skyrim takes in the whole world of Tamriel and the planet Nirn, where TES games take place.

He uploaded a video to Youtube where you can see his character traveling all over Skyrim and other parts of Tamriel:

He highlighted in green where the limits of the map are:

Skyrim-landmass.jpg

I'm playing on the third of the five difficulty settings, so I'm guessing "Normal" with whatever name they chose to call it. The game was incredibly easy until I hit level 30. Now I can barely fight anything. It's pretty annoying, because it wasn't a gradual ramp. If I should have put more skill points into straight up damage resistance and damage perks, it would have been nice to know ahead of time. My points are sunk, and leveling is slow, so it's rough going from here.
I think it's called Adept, although I can't quite recall the name of the difficulty setting I play on. I say hard because it's the penultimate of the five. Maybe the game is not so well balanced. You can try to go back to easier places and dungeons, now that the autolevel they had in place in Oblivion is gone. Wish I was of more help but I am a noob for now.

I'm kinda hitting a point now where everything sort of starts to blur together in Skyrim for me. Sure, the back stories of all the gazillion quests generally differ a great deal, but unlike in the beginning, they fail to distract me from the fact that I'm still pretty much doing the same old crap I've been doing for the last 50 hours. Definitely not anywhere near as gripping as Dark Souls with its vastly more varied environments and enemies was.

Also, Dragons are pansies.

From what I read, Skyrim is more about vast seamless world, story and character development ?

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are a different kettle of fish altogether, like an anti-thesis to many modern games.

I think it's called Adept, although I can't quite recall the name of the difficulty setting I play on. I say hard because it's the penultimate of the five. Maybe the game is not so well balanced. You can try to go back to easier places and dungeons, now that the autolevel they had in place in Oblivion is gone. Wish I was of more help but I am a noob for now.

The autolevel is not completely gone. That is the problem. Any dungeon I walk into will have several Draugr Deathlords that kill me nearly instantly. Unfortunately companions do not seem to level the same way, so they are useless.

It feels like any non-quest specific areas auto-level the same way as with previous games. I'm level 30 too and suddenly bandits that I was blowing away with fireballs or axe chops a few levels back now are nigh invulnerable at times. When a dragon is easier to take out than some dude wearing wimpy leather armour the balancing is definitely off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The autolevel is not completely gone. That is the problem. Any dungeon I walk into will have several Draugr Deathlords that kill me nearly instantly. Unfortunately companions do not seem to level the same way, so they are useless.
Well, autolevel didn't bother me at all in Oblivion, because honestly I didn't know what it was, so confronting a bandit with a daedric armour seemed fine to me because I thought; "these bandits are smart enough to look for the good loot in this world of Oblivion".

I am level 8 right now and autolevel in Skyrim didn't seem to bother people at all in previews, reviews or the impressions people had after a few weeks playing the game.

I found a Draugr Overlord in a cave and he was really tough but using Restoration and running I managed to send him to the crypt where he belongs.

I will try to share my impressions as, in fact, nobody will be able to get a hold of the console because I will be playing Skyrim. Nowadays I am aware of the autolevel thing, which I was ok with in Oblivion -although I would have liked to see more variety, I mean, some bandits with crystal armours and stuff, and others who don't have a pot to piss in.

My argonian is progressing well. I like to go to the rivers because I don't get out of breath :p and I hope I can go to Atmora -once I go to the very north of Skyrim-, and swim in the Sea of Ghosts.

I found a little chest in the river with some neat items, just outside the dungeon
where you need the dragon claw to solve the puzzle in Riverwood
. There were some mammoth bones outside. I found it just there.

I don't know what I did people keep asking me if I feel sick. :cry: I wonder where my argonian could catch an illness, because it wasn't underwater, that I am sure of. :p

It's a nice touch I found a hunter in the river bed. Anyways, I am still at the very beginning of my character´s development.

Right now he can't lift a cat by the tail, like my grandmother used to say. But I let opponents hit me while blocking with a shield, so my blocking increases. I also collect lots of junk and I have like 2000 coins of gold right now.

Back