Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

faceOff is here... http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim

like i predict the framerate is bad and not "smooth as butter" :) .. drops down to 18 FPS while fighting is not funny anymore its unplayable ... stuttering is there too with some shockingly LOD differences + heavenly blured image thanks to FXAA ... but what is pissing me most is the shoddy work with the shadow off-set bias

My save games are around the 7MB mark and so far I've encountered no issues whatsoever. Maybe there is something in the faulty batch of discs theory? I am surprised by the size of the save games, but considering the remains of every fight and all the objects are still in the same places they were when I originally encountered them, maybe it's not so strange.

4.3ghz i7-2600k, 580gtx sc, 16gb ram. I keep fxaa off since I can't stand blur, everything else is maxed.
Your current rig seems to be quite fast. This game, while not having the best textures, is artistically so well done that I've seen screenshots of people which could be perfectly used as wallpapers for your PC. There are quite a few examples of this everywhere.

Here are a couple of videos I found on Youtube with maxed settings:

Christ Cyan. Are you on medication or something?
:oops: I am practicing my writing skills, though I got a bit tired.

Aside from that, though, eh...

Yeah. Just... "eh..."

:smile:

I got a cold days ago, btw. patsu seems to be into other genres, I think it was a good idea.

:oops: I am practicing my writing skills, though I got a bit tired.

Aside from that, though, eh...

Yeah. Just... "eh..."

:smile:

I got a cold days ago, btw. patsu seems to be into other genres, I think it was a good idea.

Well it's nice to see some enthusiasm I guess. Keep it up. The world could probably do with more of it! ;)

Dam blasted through the main quest and the StormCloak questLine those two thing took me like 20 hours to complete and i haven't even explored a part of the world with one city in it.

But it seems after you finish the main quest, Certain type of enemies seem to get tougher(dragons) im level 20 btw so maybe thats why. I dont even want to know how much damage one can do at level 50 those puny mortals would be dead with one swipe of my sword or a bash of my shield. Melee for the win btw.:LOL:

My brain doesn't cope well with that. When I start a game I tend to play it heavily until complete. When it's a weekend adventure, great. When it's hundreds of hours...! :oops: I think Rogue Galaxy was the last really long game I played. I really liked Morrowind. It's sad these sorts of games aren't much of an option. I need someone to reinvent the genre to provide the same RPG experience but in more...I dunno. I mean, in something like Morrowind you'd think "I'll just do this quest" and then 3 or 4 hours have gone by!

I'm thinking then that you may want to pass on Skyrim :)

Your current rig seems to be quite fast. This game, while not having the best textures, is artistically so well done that I've seen screenshots of people which could be perfectly used as wallpapers for your PC.

Well truth be told the game looks dated, but as you say sometimes it manages to look good due to artistic skill, definitely not due to it's aging engine though. Those videos are interesting but they look jittery like they have poor frame rate, it actually looks much smoother than that when actually playing it on pc. It's hard to gauge sharpness as well from videos. I have my tv set 1:1 so it doesn't do processing on the image, hence when I feed it a genuine 1920x1080 feed it looks beautifully sharp as long as you turn off all post process aa and stick to just msaa which I always do.

Hope it goes well. Gotta wonder if they just needed more time or if they hoped people wouldn't notice the same old bugs. Didn't they talk about waiting for the next gen at one point and then they changed their minds?

Quite frankly, the way Bethesda is selling this broken piece of code (at least on the PS3) for the fourth time in a row is borderline fraudulent. Oblivion had the issue where the game ran worse and worse the larger your save file got, Fallout 3 had it, so did New Vegas, and now Skyrim has it as well.

The great thing about that engine is how all the crippling performance issues are not going to show up early enough to impact most review scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it goes well. Gotta wonder if they just needed more time or if they hoped people wouldn't notice the same old bugs. Didn't they talk about waiting for the next gen at one point and then they changed their minds?

It does feel like they've really tried to make a believable world and they've almost hit the mark. I have no idea about their coding practices, architectural strategies, or if they use a peer reviewed climate model for the world. But I do think they are being crippled by the current hardware. The scope for these games is huge, the abilities of the hardware not.

It's a shame but I sincerely hope they keep trying to recreate believable worlds and don't give up hope that the technology will ever reach their imagination.

Either that or concentrate on a major overhaul aimed at PCs with huge amounts of memory, processing power, and graphical muscle.

yea there may be bugs but this game is friggin amazing and so huge and does so many things right I'm happy to wait for a patch here and there while enjoying every last drop. :D

Yeah I hear ya, I banned mmo's for the same reason. Although you can save anytime anywhere with Skyrim so it's much easier to walk away from it if you have to.

Cool, I'm actually not a battle mage as of yet but I'm starting to work a bit more on my magic skills now to balance things out. How the heck did you pick a master lock? I found that staff of paralysis purely by accident by the way, it's one of the things I love about these Elder Scrolls games. I just happened to wander into some cave that had a couple of magic users in it and there it was sitting on a table for me. My companion died in the ensuing melee but so it goes, she knew the risks. I do wish there was a way to hot swap weapon sets with one press of a button on the 360 pad, do you know if that's possible? I only know how to do it with the favorites menu.

Generally speaking I don't mess with game ini's. Sometimes features are left disabled because they aren't fully tested yet, or have unintended consequences, etc. It could be why all my last few pc games have run flawlessly with no crashes or issues at all, my pc has basically been working like a console for me, I plop on the couch and play without issue. Switching to an NVidia card has certainly helped as well :)

Hmm I don't notice that either, although I do play in a dark room.

This is something I want as well: key bindings for some cool configurations of my character, but as far as I know it is not available right now! I really would do a healer combo, a battle combo, and a healer-battle combo...hope they patch it in!

I completely agree with you...running around in Skyrim doing random stuff is so cool...I once get up a mountain, rather high...run around, thought: what a funny looking rock...looks like a dragon...oh, well it is a dragon?!?! During fighting against this dragon, I accidently came to close to a grave and activated a mighty mage (called krosis or so), then it got an epic battle against this mage and the dragon...took me like 30min to finally finish the mage..guess what, I got his mask (even called krosis or so) with 100% mana regen...how cool is this!!!

yeah, with respect to ini tweaking, you are probably right: got some crashes yesterday...will set it back, although I don't know if it is related to this!

As of now, I have the feeling that my character is not so weak anymore (destruction is 71)...due to the cool items, and the strong spells I have now...fighting is ok and I don't feel helpless like a pink pony anymore :mrgreen:

Loving the life out of this game. The setting kind of reminds me of Rohan from LOTR. Not had any bugs or freezes and am really pleased with the PS3 version, I think Bethesda did a good job.

I can tell you from my own experience that it isn't as time consuming as you might think. In fact it can be less time consuming than other games based on Checkpoints, because you can simply save the game at any given time and leave. A more interesting advantage than you might think.
That doesn't solve my psychological requirements of finishing quests though! I don't like leaving mid-quest, so I'll have to finish the current one. And typically you pick up several quests, finish one, and see the next one is 'just over there' so you finish that one two, and before you know it hours have gone by. Or mid quest, you come across an intriguing door in a mountain and you don't want to risk losing where it is or wasting time trudging back and having to fight critters again, so you may as well have a look now...and it's two in the morning.

That doesn't solve my psychological requirements of finishing quests though! I don't like leaving mid-quest, so I'll have to finish the current one. And typically you pick up several quests, finish one, and see the next one is 'just over there' so you finish that one two, and before you know it hours have gone by. Or mid quest, you come across an intriguing door in a mountain and you don't want to risk losing where it is or wasting time trudging back and having to fight critters again, so you may as well have a look now...and it's two in the morning.
I just realised the other day playing Skyrim, why I've always had this love/hate relationship with these recent Morrowind and Fallout games; I just can't pass a barrell, sack, door, npc.. without checking what's inside or what a character has to say, or see what that book is about (I do not read every book, though). I also have that irresistible urge to collect everything that has any value and sell it, and especially in the beginning of game, every object I haven't yet come across, thinking it must have some special use (yeah, that Penny Arcade strip really hit home :) ).
Now, I've decided to take a more "real world" approach to Skyrim, and just ignore most of what I come across :)
But who knows what rare and valuable might be inside just that barrell...

But who knows what rare and valuable might be inside just that barrell...
That's something that grates me too, and is a flaw in exploratory game desgin IMO. You have to smash every barrel just in case there's a special item in there. We had a curious look at Skyrim last night before our Dark Souls main-course. In the intro, instead of following the story I was looking around to see if there were any hidden weapons or such. In Borderlands for example, at the top of the first building before you've really started the game, there's a weapons crate. And as a result I died at the very beginning of Skyrim because I wasn't really trying to engage in the story. I mean, when I was supposed to be following the Imperial and then choosing which side to follow, I had wandered off to look at a target and see if there was some hidden. Similarly, any game with a 'desperate event' has the player ignoring the necessity for speed in order to find the collectables. We loiter in burning buildings suffering irreparable smoke daamge because there's probably a chest or treasure trove or one of those pesky Trophy/Achievement unlocking collectables.

Games encourage unrealistic behaviours. I was picking up everything in Skyrim with a view to selling it in a shop, like every other RPG. But then when a game does try to be realistic like Dark Souls, it takes you by surprise because it breaks a lot of conventions. So in a way games are trapped with doing things the same old way. Anyone wanting to make a change needs to provide a good education of the player.

On what? I'm on a 570+i5 2500 and can't get 60fps all the time. People with 580s report similar results.

Maybe the MSAA then and if TSAA is enabled to? Game runs at max settings (Ultra/all sliders highest settings) with FXAA/1680x1050 closer to 60fps than 30fps most of the time outside and often solid 60fps indoors. That on an old 4890 and E8400 dual-core CPU. Actually surprised how well many multiplatforms runs nowdays. BF3 at max settings/FXAA and same res also seldom ran below 30fps (SP).

It is 60fps most of the time, just towns and heavily forested areas where it dips. Guess thats to be expected with 8xAA. It being heavily cpu bound explains the towns.

Back