Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

Is there anything coming that does full outdoor shadowing? STALKER sort of does it but it looks pretty bad because of how low resolution the shadows tend to be, especially ~50 ft out.

All Stalker games have full outdoor shadowing and lots of other RPG, FPS, TPS games, atleast on PC.

Also Stalker COP has some of the best shadows you can find in any game for indoor/outdoor (especially outdoor). They are near perfectly jaggy free (highest shadow quality, DX10), soft clean smooth edges with no shimmering and perfectly smooth projection and travel on terrain while moving vs sun position. I was amazed by the quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also Stalker COP has some of the best shadows you can find in any game for indoor/outdoor (especially outdoor).
It has been awhile since I played that one. I was playing SoC with the Complete 2009 mod and the shadows there reduce resolution very obviously in medium distance.

I'm waiting on CoP Complete....

It has been awhile since I played that one. I was playing SoC with the Complete 2009 mod and the shadows there reduce resolution very obviously in medium distance.

I'm waiting on CoP Complete....

SoC and CS shadows are nothing compared to COP. It's in a whole different league. I dont think I've ever seen such clean good shadows that moves perfectly smooth on the ground as sun moves.

image_the_elder_scrolls_v_skyrim-14663-2190_0001.jpg

Huge jump in the quality of the faces. Reminds me of Mafia 2 for some reason.

Face is great. I wish they'd improve the way skin looks one of these days though. People still look like plastic figures in most games.

I still think these games need some limited form of coop mode. Maybe just 2 players or something. It would be awesome to be able to adventure around with a friend in a game world like this. I think about this with every TES generation...

Compared to other games it doesn't look dull at any time of day. Below my own shots from screenshot thread, vanilla lighting and ToD.

Compared to which games? I'm sure you can find the worst-looking games this generation and make Fallout 3 look better but Fallout 3 doesn't even look comparable to the best-looking games on the PS3 and 360, not by a long shot. RDR does true open-world with far better lighting.

Compared to which games? I'm sure you can find the worst-looking games this generation and make Fallout 3 look better but Fallout 3 doesn't even look comparable to the best-looking games on the PS3 and 360, not by a long shot. RDR does true open-world with far better lighting.

Ehh becouse it doesn't beat the best looking console games lighting doesn't mean it therefore is bad and looks dull. If you want to compare it with a game that has similar apocalyptic visual setting then compare it favorably to Resistance 3 footage. You got pics of Fallout 3/New Vegas in links I posted earlier.

I am sure DF also has a time-elapse video of Fallout 3 or New Vegas which would showcase lighting better than shots. Dont know if PC or console version but there is one video.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fallout-new-vegas-world-in-motion

Despite the outdated engine, the world of Fallout: New Vegas is still extremely impressive in many ways. The accomplished implementation of HDR makes for some superb-looking sunrises and sunsets, and the draw distance is simply phenomenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge jump in the quality of the faces. Reminds me of Mafia 2 for some reason.

Great improvement. Hope though they are higher res for final game and that skin gets some extra shading even if just some subtle gloss.

Better quality [but still far from great, who tough them how to compress videos? ...]
http://cms.elderscrolls.com/sites/d...ownloads/TESVSkyrim_OfficialTrailer_US_HD.wmv

I'm so hype for this. I think i'm equally hype for this as i was for Oblivion several years ago, damn it looked so good.

BTW its definitely console footage, low texture filtering, low res textures many times, no bump-mapping and pixel-shimmering from EdgeAA, probably from MLAA or their own solution. Its probably PS3 version, because all demos was shown on PS3.

It's kind of hard to tell all that from the footage. It definitely looks like there's normal mapping and the textures looked pretty good from what I saw. Anyways, something tells me this game is going to be great and steal many many hours of my time.

Am I crazy for wanting a VATS type mode from Fallout in Skyrim? Have they commented on it?

Am I crazy for wanting a VATS type mode from Fallout in Skyrim? Have they commented on it?

Actually that would be really interesting addition. Maybe it could open up when getting a critical to make for a stunning possible deathblow.

Dont know if PC or console version but there is one video
It was recorded on PC.

no bump-mapping
Of course there's normal mapping. :p All those mountain rocks, characters and dragon...

pixel-shimmering from EdgeAA, probably from MLAA or their own solution.
Hm? The only shimmering was the foliage, which is to be expected for the alpha-tested/dithered textures. I'd hesitate to say much about the AA given how much macroblocking and compression there is.

Its probably PS3 version, because all demos was shown on PS3.
Let's not jump to conclusions here...

Is he a dev? One of the buildings seemed to sport 4xMSAA, and that would explain the lack of pixel crawling on the windmill as it rotated. Still... quite compressed. There's the pixel crawling on the building towards the end, but there's the smoke being rendered behind it, which can easily cause low resolution artefacting.

Of course there's normal mapping. All those mountain rocks, characters and dragon...
I mean on roads like in Oblivion.

Hm? The only shimmering was the foliage, which is to be expected for the alpha-tested/dithered textures. I'd hesitate to say much about the AA given how much macroblocking and compression there is.
Did You watch full 720p version from a link i pasted? I saw shimmering on more elements, roofs, branches without foliage etc.

Back