1st generation 360 and HDMI

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Heya-

I own a first generation 360, lacking an HDMI output. This wasn't an issue until I received a new monitor, sporting an HDMI output, no DVI. I've seen a few products floating about the internet claiming they can convert DVI to HDMI (boxes, cables, yada yada yada....) The cable I used to use was a VGA AV Cable with a DVI connection which I used to plug into my old monitor. I was under the impression it was the cable. I thought I needed what was called VGA HD AV Cable, which could then be plugged into a VGA to HDMI adapter, which would then be plugged into an HDMI cable leading to my monitor. Was the cable I was using for my old monitor somehow different from what is being offered by Microsoft, now? If not, is there a solution to plugging my 360 into my new monitor?

Thanks-

Dresden

Heya-

I own a first generation 360, lacking an HDMI output. This wasn't an issue until I received a new monitor, sporting an HDMI output, no DVI. I've seen a few products floating about the internet claiming they can convert DVI to HDMI (boxes, cables, yada yada yada....) The cable I used to use was a VGA AV Cable with a DVI connection which I used to plug into my old monitor. I was under the impression it was the cable. I thought I needed what was called VGA HD AV Cable, which could then be plugged into a VGA to HDMI adapter, which would then be plugged into an HDMI cable leading to my monitor. Was the cable I was using for my old monitor somehow different from what is being offered by Microsoft, now? If not, is there a solution to plugging my 360 into my new monitor?

Thanks-

Dresden

The second of your links would be the one you would need.

The issue you are going to encounter is that since your 360 is incapable of directly outputting digital signals, which is what your monitor requires, the analog signal, whether over component or VGA, is going to have to first be digitized before being converted which will definitely add lag to your display system. If this is not an issue than a VGA/Component to HDMI converter (your Monoprice link) is what you would need. If this is an issue, you could consider trying to acquire a later revision 360 (pre-slim). Since so many people will have upgraded to the 360S over the last year+ there should be a lot of cheap trade-ins available with warranty support.

As mrcorbo said, I think it would be far cheaper and less hassle to just acquire a pre-slim 360 Arcade on the cheap and plug your current HDD into that, or get a Slim and use the transfer cable to get your data across.

If you've got a first gen system it'll probably eventually RROD anyway - my one finally died again the other day.

Yeah, you can get pre-slim 360 consoles with HDMI and no hard drive locally for about $100 on craigslist. You'll probably get an additional controller and set of cables at that price, so if you want you can turn it around and sell your pre-HDMI model for about $75 and only be out $20-$30 on the upgrade. Or, you can use a USB stick for storage and have a second 360 in another room for only $60 or $70 more than you were gonna pay for an adapter.

Edited to add: either way you'll be happier with native HDMI. I was pretty disappointed by the quality my VGA cable produces on my Dell FPW2005, and I can't imagine adding an additional analog to digital conversion would be optimal in your new setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back