Is there a fix for this?

JaylumX

Newcomer
Chroma upsampling issue with all streaming video content on browsers

Every time i watch a full screen video on firefox areas with a large concentration of the colour red have a step-like-artifact that make it look like it has been poorly deinterlaced. This issue has been present as long as i can remember my shift to Vista and Windows 7 and across different generations of GFX Cards. I have also noticed this issue on other computers so this must be a universally know bug and if so why has it not been fixed for it is extremley annoying to look at especially if is there is a lot of deep reds in the videos.

It is quite similar to the VMR-9 renderless bug on MPC and MPC-HC where the only fix was to apply the YV12 Chroma upsampling pixel shader in order to fix it. is there a similar fix for streaming videos.

NB This issue is also present when viewing videos in Internet Explorer

:???:

Any advice will be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you solely watching youtube videos?

If so, right click within the video and then left click on Settings. Try switching hardware acceleration on or off.

Are you watching the video in full screen? If so then it could be a scaling issue.

Are you watching low bit rate videos in full screen?

If so then it could be a compression issue.

Any video can have the issue you describe when compressed a lot.

And videos that require a ton of scaling, say going from 320 x 240 to 1920 x 1080/1200 might have block noise or other artifacting.

That's all I can say. But maybe if you can provide more details of what you are doing and what your monitor* and videocard spec's are a real guru can help.

Can you provide a link to a sample video on youtube that you are having this problem with?

*Some monitors don't have a good scaler and are only 6 bit.

Low rez, low bit rate, video that was encoded poorly will look extra nasty on some monitors.

Probably a compression issue. I've noticed the same thing in videos right out of cameras. Very saturated red areas can often be noticibly blocky, even if the movie clip is compressed at high bitrate and otherwise high quality. I have seen the same in cameras from different vendors. Why it happens I have no idea though.

It is not a particular video. The problem occurs on all streaming videos - Youtube, ign, Gametrailers, BBC etc and in full screen mode - regardless of bitrate. I have tried it with hardware acceleration on/off to no avail.

I noticed this initially when i switched to Vista a number of years ago and regardless of what GFX i had i hoped that the switch from Nvidia to ATI and vise-versa would solve the problem.

Usually i just download the streaming content and play with MPC-HC where the problem is non-existant so this must be a browser and scaling issue as the bretheren mention above. Maybe there is a setting i am not aware of :???:

Every time i watch a full screen video on firefox areas with a large concentration of the colour red have a step-like-artifact that make it look like it has been poorly deinterlaced.

It is not a particular video. The problem occurs on all streaming videos -

so now the problem has changed from videos with a large concentration of red to all video's
what have you altered to make this change happen ?

My last post was just a continuation of the first with my assumtion that you read it. It is not an entirely new issue that has just cropped up :cry: It is still just about reds

Please, just post a link to a video which in your opinion prominently exhibits the issue you're experiencing, preferably make a framegrab of it and post up for us to compare, so we can try to draw some proper conclusions. Otherwise, all anyone can do is speculate.

Huh, didn't flash videos have an option for high, medium, or low quality?

I don't always see that option but I think it's still there sometimes.

Is it possible it's set globally and that's what JaylumX has?

JaylumX, I'm wondering if we can get you to watch a video in your browser that wasn't encoded using adobe's stuff. Though maybe they just use generic encoders.

Maybe we can find a windows media video or QT video for you. But then again that might just default to opening a regular video player.

Still, maybe go to apple and watch one of their high def trailers in your browser.
http://trailers.apple.com/#section=justhd

Though I lean towards thinking this is a flash issue.

A clean uninstall then installation of the latest version might be in order. Though who knows if borked registry entries get left behind.

you really do want to make this as difficult as possible dont you jaylum

to test whether we also get the problem are you seriously expecting us to search through youtube, the escapist and ign for the videos those screen shots are from
you wont post a link to a video with the problem
if your asked if a specific video exhibits the problem you wont answer

Davros it is not a specific video as the captures are from random videos i found from the respective sites. It does not matter what site i view the video, if it has a lot of reds i get the artifact. If i download the video with say Downloadhelper firefox plugin and play the video via MPC-HC the artifact is not there so i am guessing it has something to do with the browser video scaler. The links bellow are from three random videos i choose to create the captures above. I have tried other videos not on the list and if there were reds i got the artifact. I only noticed the problem when i switched from XP to Vista several years back and recently due to my increased streaming content use started seeking means to resolve the issue.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/01/04/littlebigplanet-2-video-review?objectid=19675

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerrangers5?blend=1&ob=4

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2607-Top-5-of-2010

Jaylumx said:
It is not a particular video. The problem occurs on all streaming videos - Youtube, ign, Gametrailers, BBC etc and in full screen mode - regardless of bitrate. I have tried it with hardware acceleration on/off to no avail.

Cheers

yes but without a specific video if I dont see the problem i have know way if knowing if:
a: I dont have the problem
b: the video's im choosing dont suffer from the problem

this is opera xp
can you see the problem

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
if you dont i'll try it in vista

firefox xp

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Davros it is not a specific video as the captures are from random videos i found from the respective sites. It does not matter what site i view the video, if it has a lot of reds i get the artifact. If i download the video with say Downloadhelper firefox plugin and play the video via MPC-HC the artifact is not there so i am guessing it has something to do with the browser video scaler. The links bellow are from three random videos i choose to create the captures above. I have tried other videos not on the list and if there were reds i got the artifact. I only noticed the problem when i switched from XP to Vista several years back and recently due to my increased streaming content use started seeking means to resolve the issue.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/01/04/littlebigplanet-2-video-review?objectid=19675

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerrangers5?blend=1&ob=4

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2607-Top-5-of-2010

Cheers

The first video looks bad to me too. And yes, especially with the reds. But I see that kind of block noise and edge aliasing in lots of low bitrate, low rez, videos. Even some older games with their Bink video scenes sometimes look almost that bad on a large screen.

Is it possible that when you download the videos that you are getting higher quality versions?

The edge aliasing could come from crappy resizing. It's possible it was film and they only used one field for the resize.

if you have a nv card is video set to nv or controlled by player
if its nv are things like colour enhancement and dynamic contrast enhancement on or off

Back