Nintendo 3DS leaked

How does everyone forget the touchscreen? It worked extremely well for shooters on the DS :)

So how does this work exactly? You hold the 3DS in your left hand, while also controlling the left analog stick with your left thumb, and then aim/shoot by tapping where you want to shoot on the bottom screen, with some kind of 3D reticule on your top screen? I don't know but I feel that with the separation between touch screen below and 3D display above, things have gotten more complicated for the 3DS than before on the DS. Also seems to me that you're not going to want to switch between looking at the 3D and the 2D screen very often ...

The gyro could help here and there, but then 3D holds you back as well. I think there are going to be some games / genres that will struggle to support 3D.

So how does this work exactly? You hold the 3DS in your left hand, while also controlling the left analog stick with your left thumb, and then aim/shoot by tapping where you want to shoot on the bottom screen, with some kind of 3D reticule on your top screen? I don't know but I feel that with the separation between touch screen below and 3D display above, things have gotten more complicated for the 3DS than before on the DS. Also seems to me that you're not going to want to switch between looking at the 3D and the 2D screen very often ...

The gyro could help here and there, but then 3D holds you back as well. I think there are going to be some games / genres that will struggle to support 3D.

Considering the 3DS will be in the same graphical league as the original Xbox.

The xbox was supposed to be 128 millions polys , 4GP fillrate ,(like NGP,BTW ,but different tech).
3DS looks like under a psp polygon wise and above iphone 3g pixel wise.
I'd say "perceptively" a little under a gamecube with better shading possibilities.

I highly doubt the 3DS will be bogged down by some kind of heavy background overhead system like the NGP surely will have to deal with
One core reserved to handle OS like ps3.Probably some memory too.

The xbox was supposed to be 128 millions polys , 4GP fillrate ,(like NGP,BTW ,but different tech).

116.5 million triangles/sec and 932mpixels/s fillrate wasn't it?

3DS looks like under a psp polygon wise and above iphone 3g pixel wise.

PSP poly counts in games don't look higher to me, and thats with 3DS having to do 3D. I know there's that 15.2Mpolys number floating around, however that's the performance of PICA200 when using only one vertex shading unit. The chip in 3DS could have anything up to 4 of those units and we also don't know the clock speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
116.5 million triangles/sec and 932mpixels/s fillrate wasn't it?
Yes you're right.4gp was a marketing trick on the original specs.

PSP poly counts in games don't look higher to me, and thats with 3DS having to do 3D. I know there's that 15.2Mpolys number floating around, however that's the performance of PICA200 when using only one vertex shading unit. The chip in 3DS could have anything up to 4 of those units and we also don't know the clock speed.

I haven't been able to find any documentation that could tell me more that pica200 would mean 200mhz ,and nothing on multiple vertex units , only polygon throughput tied to chip frequency.
I think that's hightly speculative until better information.Do you have more on this ?

BTW ,the light in the game up there looks very much like a screen masking hack, or an additive volume and not a real light.Not a good sign.

I haven't been able to find any documentation that could tell me more that pica200 would mean 200mhz ,and nothing on multiple vertex units , only polygon throughput tied to chip frequency.
I think that's hightly speculative until better information.Do you have more on this ?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=32326

The PICA200 scales with up to four pipelines and processes from up to four programmable vertex units. The 3D core, using their proprietary graphics technology named MAESTRO-2G, the second generation of the Maestro design, implements custom graphics algorithms as hardware for enabling a set of shading features that include per-vertex sub-surface scattering, bidirectional reflectance distribution function, cook-torrance, polygon subdivision, and soft shadowing. Their image post-processing module, the PICA-FBM frame buffer management, can polish the image with anti-aliasing and a set of other 2D functions and can actually be licensed independently as a core for 2D-only devices. In either case, the PICA-FBM can be extended with a PICA-VG vector graphics module.

BTW ,the light in the game up there looks very much like a screen masking hack, or an additive volume and not a real light.Not a good sign.

That's because its a DS game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back