Nokia's Present & Future

Remember the eye tracking thing that Samsung tried with the S3 or one of the Galaxy models?

You don't hear it about it much now, wonder if it's widely used.

Tech for tech's sake doesn't always produce the best products.

And why is hovering better than touching?

Guess it would rule out one handed operation. You'd need to hold the phone with one hand and use the fingers on the other hand to hover over rather than touching.

Fingerprints are a big problem?

Hover is used instead of click in countless ways on computers: balloon help, drop downs, etc.

Hover is used instead of click in countless ways on computers: balloon help, drop downs, etc.

Yeah, the ability to hover over something without clicking/dragging is one of the things I miss most with a capacitive touch display. With some active digitizer pens you still have the ability to hover, which is one of the capabilities that makes a pen indispensible.

One of the things I hate most about mobile games is the inability to just hover over an icon in game to get a tool-tip that gives the name and maybe even a short description of the icon. Instead you just have to guess and hope the icon does what you think it might do. Even more annoying when those games are ported to PC and STILL don't have hover tool-tips.

Being above to hover without clicking would be a significant advancement for touch based displays, IMO. Especially if Microsoft actually can make 1 version of Windows run on all devices. At that point hovering won't just be useful for tablets, notebooks, and desktops...but also phones.

Regards,
SB

Mouse over targets on web sites would be too small for even phablet screens?

And you're going to have a pointer displayed on the screen so you can move it over some targets?

And you're going to have a pointer displayed on the screen so you can move it over some targets?

That would be ideal, yes. And would also mitigate somewhat, how incredibly imprecise the finger is. At least for me, it'd help greatly with hitting those tiny buttons that are used for alphanumeric input on those tiny keyboards.

Regards,
SB

With Windows 10 close to release, bringing some unity between devices of different sizes, I'd stay the hell away from anything windows phone 8.

With Windows 10 close to release, bringing some unity between devices of different sizes, I'd stay the hell away from anything windows phone 8.

I just built a new PC running Windows 8.1...works great. I will be loving the 1520 if Nokia doesn't release anything better by the end of the year. With Denim release out soon this will be a bargain.

IOS has nothing in common with my Windows PCs but I've enjoyed using it for many years. Also MS is constantly releasing updates to Windows 8 phones with new added features so it's going to last me another few years before I want a Windows 10 phone. There's always something better around the corner but life's too short to keep waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:

If by "close" you mean ~1 year away (assuming it doesn't get delayed), then sure. :)

Considering I only spent ~50 USD on my Nokia Lumia 521 (T-mobile), I'm incredibly pleased with the device. WP 8.1 brings a lot of nice useability features to the phone as well. And it is nice to see the device getting updates.

Regards,
SB

The issue isn't that win10 is a year a away and one should wait for its devices. It's just that support for anything prior to it will cease to exist once win10 comes out. This means WP8.1 could very well become no man's land within a year regarding OS updates and support for new apps.

Microsoft has been pretty much ruthless regarding support for older mobile OSes.
It's what happenned to WinMobile 6.5 when WP7 came out, and what happenned to WP7 when WP8 came out.
And it's not like they can't afford to crap on their existing customers, since their existing marketshare is next to nothing in most countries anyways.

Win10 for smartphones should be great, though. It's what any prior Windows Phone version should have been from the start.

So current WP 8 devices won't be offered free upgrades to Win 10?

They'd hurt current sales of WP 8 if they publicized that policy.

Windows 8 phones already get free upgrades. If Windows 10 can't be run on some Windows 8 phones I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for most people. When I purchased my original Iphone 4 several years ago I didn't buy it because I wanted free upgrades even though I knew those wouldn't last forever. iOS 8 doesn't run on my 4...doesn't make it a useless door stop now.

So current WP 8 devices won't be offered free upgrades to Win 10?

They'd hurt current sales of WP 8 if they publicized that policy.

Don't count on upgrades. Of course, they won't publicize that until the last moment.
There was never any physical/technical reason not to upgrade the later WP7 models to WP8, yet that never happened.

Windows 8 phones already get free upgrades. If Windows 10 can't be run on some Windows 8 phones I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker for most people. When I purchased my original Iphone 4 several years ago I didn't buy it because I wanted free upgrades even though I knew those wouldn't last forever. iOS 8 doesn't run on my 4...doesn't make it a useless door stop now.

Don't mistake iOS or Android with this.
Even today, almost all apps coming out still support Android 2.3 in the 4 year-old models like Nexus S.
In contrast, the 2 year-old Lumia 900 is pretty much dead in the water because WP8 apps won't work for it. Just check the numbers: about 23 000 available apps for WP7 vs. 300 000 apps for WP8.

Again, this just happens because Microsoft and WP app devs don't have a lot to lose since their marketshare is pretty bad.

No drivers is a pretty good technical reason.

WP7 had strict hardware spec requirements and all devices are very similar. If not orphaning early adopters was ever a concern those drivers would've materialized. But it's better to ring the cash register twice.

No drivers is a pretty good technical reason.

Deciding not to write the drivers is a non-technical decision.
There was no technical limitation that would stop the 2nd gen snapdragon from being compatible with WP8.

Back