Nokia's Present & Future

Off topic but Microsoft buying Nokia phone and other h/w device units for 7.2 billion.

Jeez for real ? I'll check other sites but damn MS is doubling down on devices ( as opposed to services this time around ) aren't they... and I am sure patents won't hurt either.

Will other manufacturers even make a token effort with Windows Phone now?

Now that they're competing with the platform owner directly?

I heard Ballmer saying how "exciting" this is for their other Windows Phone partners. How so?

Gizmodo compared it to Google owning Motorola's phone business. Not quite Giz. Android is arguably open and free with gobs of AOSP and other projects/ROMs/etc. WP8 is locked down. Look for the MS-Lumia brand to get the latest features well in advance of others.

So MS buys Nokia (mostly) and now Stephen Elop is in charge of the Xbox div. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/03/microsoft-to-acquire-nokias-smartphone-division

I like it, he seems young and dynamic.

I think it cements despite the GAF hoping, MS will not be leaving Xbox soon. After all they have stated they desire to transition to a "devices and services" company. Which the Nokia acquisition further cements, being a big time move into "devices".

What do you mean young and dynamic?

Stephen Elop worked for MS prior to working for Nokia.

After joining Nokia, the value of the company plummeted from $30 billion to $7 billion. The failings of their mobile division went hand in hand with going exclusive to Windows Phone software.

Under a former MS executives leadership, the company's value depreciated over 75% and then MS whom he formerly worked for bought said company at a new low price, and then said former executive rejoined MS. Do the math...

Maybe the definition of "young and dynamic" changed to include driving one of the most successful mobile companies into the dirt? I must have missed the memo on that one.

Will other manufacturers even make a token effort with Windows Phone now?

Now that they're competing with the platform owner directly?

I heard Ballmer saying how "exciting" this is for their other Windows Phone partners. How so?

There's rumours flying that Microsoft will license the pure view technology to all WP8 manufacturers. Sounds bit like "you'll do the development and deal the costs and we'll come and pick up the cherries from the cake to make our business fly."

Oh well, this thing made my 808 phone as a legend; last pure nokia phone with biggest ever imaging sensor put in the phone.

...and oh, don't let the marketing fool you; the Lumia 1020 Does NOT have same size sensor as 808. It is in fact a portion smaller, even if it does have same amount of pixels.

After joining Nokia, the value of the company plummeted from $30 billion to $7 billion. The failings of their mobile division went hand in hand with going exclusive to Windows Phone software.

Under a former MS executives leadership, the company's value depreciated over 75% and then MS whom he formerly worked for bought said company at a new low price, and then said former executive rejoined MS. Do the math...

Maybe the definition of "young and dynamic" changed to include driving one of the most successful mobile companies into the dirt? I must have missed the memo on that one.

It sounds like he was sent there by MS with a specific agenda in mind and now he is coming back to base with the goods

I know next to nothing about Elop and he was most likely a part of the down turn of Nokia, but Nokia was on the way down before Elop came in and in a big way. They lost their way when Apple launched iPhone, they got disrupted or they saw Blackberry as the big challenger.

Also Nokia keeps its patents, MS has to pay 1B+ to license the patents, not sure if that 1B+ is a part of the 7.2B.

Uhh, I dont claim to follow every detail of Nokia, but as far as I remember they were already in big trouble before anything about MS came in.

And frankly I think they'd done somewhat decently with WP. Could they have done better with Android? Maybe, but it seems to me they carved out a bit of a niche that would have been harder to do as just another android player (ask anybody but Samsung over there, LG, HTC, Sony, etc, all struggling). I see quite a lot of buzz at least online over phones like the 1020 even though I know sales arent the best.

The analogy to Nokia was very similar to Blackberry imo. Hows Blackberry doing? They're failing (worse than Nokia) with no help from MS, thanks.

Also Nokia keeps its patents, MS has to pay 1B+ to license the patents, not sure if that 1B+ is a part of the 7.2B.

I read where:

plus another €1.65 billion for its portfolio of patents.

from: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/2/46...evices-and-services-unit-unites-windows-phone

So I guess that would be a blanket licensing agreement as opposed to owning the patents. Seems a shame for MS from that perspective but I am sure they may have needed to sweeten the deal a bit.

If you knew anything about Blackberry, you wouldn't be making that analogy in the first place... if you don't know about either company, why are you comparing the two? It's not a good habit to just say things for no reason...

Besides the fact that RIM's CEO was too busy trying to buy a hockey team in his last years at the company, and wasn't paying attention to the changing landscape in phones, Blackberry only made smart handsets, notably with keyboards.

Most handsets Nokia sells are not smart phones. How does this purchase acknowledge that? Not at all. Nokia still sells more phones than any other company other than Samsung. Going with Windows Phone exclusively surrendered their high end phone market share.

And it's not a wonder why they only went with Windows Phone. Stephen Elop can answer that question very clearly.

Saying "I think they did OK" doesn't mean anything, when in reality it's just not true. "I think they did OK" sounds more like an apology saying "WP isn't doing that badly" when in fact... it is performing poorly, whether you like the system or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the european market will buy "Microsoft Lumia" like they have Nokia Lumia in the past

Hmm, 20 years ago, Nokia and Ericsson pioneered the mobile industry.

Now, the power has shifted to the US -- Nortel is gone and Blackberry will be gone as well.

Two American companies delivered body blows that left Nokia teetering. A third American company came in and knifed it in the back.

Europeans have reason to feel resentful, this mass transfer of an industry to the US. Part of it due to problems with how Nokia executed or failed to execute but the coup de grace was sabotage to accelerate Nokia's decline from within.

How Elop may be rewarded with becoming MS CEO.

They don't have a choice. Smart phones are lucrative and still a growth market, while PCs are in a sales decline.

Console business is a drop in the ocean compared to mobile devices.

They can't give up the phone business and it's not in their DNA to admit defeat. Certainly not in Gates' makeup.

Even if it takes them billions before seeing once cent of profit.

What worries me most about Windows Phone is that it appears to be so stagnant lately. I would have expected them to be quicker in adding features and updates. Despite having to catch up, it seems like iOS and Android are actually innovating and updating quicker than Windows Phone.

As far as I'm aware, there won't be any big updates to Windows Phone this year. There were the GDR1 and GDR2 updates and there is still the GDR3 update to come, but all 3 of them are minor updates. Or at least GDR1 and 2 were. GDR3 might yet surprise us. The 'Blue' update will only come next year according to rumors and what MS has said.

Yea Nokia was recently downgraded severely even with their recent successes. this move not only increases stock today (by 30% so far) but gives them a partner able to infuse cash and streamline the come-to-market time and integrate features across the wp brand

Nokia retains their name and patents and only licenses the patents to ms...

Very fair deal for both and could get closer to 15-20% ww market share eventually which as the 3rd place ecosystem is not a bad deal considering the oversaturation of Android

Not to mention lower end nokia saturation worldwide making wp a more ubiquitous os

Elop = phishing, virus, malware.
Microsoft = borg....resistance is futile.
Ive got to admit im stunned by this, surely a criminal investigation can be sought no?..

Always liked microsoft and their products, couldnt understand why people of an older generation disliked them...now i know.

It sounds like he was sent there by MS with a specific agenda in mind and now he is coming back to base with the goods
Elop moved from Juniper to Nokia, not from Microsoft.

Are you suggesting that Juniper was a conspirator in Microsoft's cunning plan?

LOL.

Yes, you can only conspire with your current employer. [facepalm]
Unless I'm terribly mistaken: it was Nokia who hired Elop. Nobody forced them to do so. The whole idea that this was all orchestrated by Microsoft right from the start is laughable.

Once Elop was hired, it is really not so surprising that he chose a partner that he knew, his old employer, rather than rely internal engineering which didnt have an answer (yet) to the competition. Whether or not that was the best option, we'll never know.

I know it's a far less compelling story than 'big evil American corp outsmarted poor helpless Europeans', but so be it. The decline of Nokia is one of their own doing, just like RIM.

At least Nokia still got $7B for it. I doubt RIM will ever get that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back