Nokia's Present & Future

The 1020 certainly does seem to over-saturate colours to some degree. On the other hand, I thought the 808 images looked a bit under-saturated!

Somewhere between the two levels might be better.

Otherwise, the extra sharpening on the 1020 images is pretty obvious. Better for the individuals who will rarely bother with any post-processing (i.e. most of them), but not ideal for others.

the 808 are pale but they give the option to use vivid mode.
1020 shot in overly vivid mode and cant be disabled.

You already pointed out yourself that there's probably a faulty OIS system there. It's obvious that this type of blurring is camera shake, not a bad sensor.

I'll put together some crops from various reviews on the weekend.
Really ?

IMO, the 1020 completely dominates the dusk and dark images.

The noise in the zoomed-in images looks similar to RAW images from my 24Mpixel Nikon D3200 DSLR (lots of sensor noise), so I don't think the 1020 super sharpen the images. As a matter of fact I think the 808 applies a blur/noise reduction filter. Nokia has traditionally had very good noise reduction in software (fondly remembering my N95)Cheers
That's exactly what I see.

So Microsoft bought Nokia's Devices & Services business... Elop is gone, probably heading back to MS? edit: Yeah I guess Elop is going to be the head of MS's new phone division.

Not a complete surprise though is it?

Elop is getting rewarded for being a good Trojan Horse?

How much would Nokia have cost MS before Elop?

Bastard. I knew it, I was hoping he would prove me wrong and turn the company around, alas twas not to be.

Very sad day for nokia and all who follow them. :(

True, it's not a surprise. But there are some surprises in the deal:

* Microsoft bought the feature phone business too
* Microsoft didn't buy the map business? But they bought the Here Maps platform.
* The price is low.

Heard that Nokia retains Nokia brand name for smart phones but MS gets Lumia brand name and Nokia brand name on feature phones.

Conflicting reports about Here maps and Pure View.

Maybe NOK could do Android phones now, though MS would no longer be helping fund operations

Heard that Nokia retains Nokia brand name for smart phones but MS gets Lumia brand name and Nokia brand name on feature phones.

Conflicting reports about Here maps and Pure View.

Maybe NOK could do Android phones now, though MS would no longer be helping fund operations

No mobile units for Nokia until 2016. And I'm pretty sure they won't want to enter into battle with Samsung/Apple/Huawei in the phone market by that time. It's over.

Back in 2011, during the "burning platform" announcement, Nokia had $13b in cash alone.
With over 45% of the smartphone market, I'd guess its phone division should be well over $20b at the time.
Microsoft just bought Nokia's phone division for $7.2b.

I wonder if anyone still thinks Elop wasn't a trojan with this very goal from the start.
Well, there will always be the ones saying Nokia was already doomed "regardless".

This was Finnish value being transferred to the US, through and through. I'm dumbfounded to see how some finnish supported this.

Back in 2011, during the "burning platform" announcement, Nokia had $13b in cash alone.
With over 45% of the smartphone market, I'd guess its phone division should be well over $20b at the time.
Microsoft just bought Nokia's phone division for $7.2b.

I wonder if anyone still thinks Elop wasn't a trojan with this very goal from the start.
Well, there will always be the ones saying Nokia was already doomed "regardless".

This was Finnish value being transferred to the US, through and through. I'm dumbfounded to see how some finnish supported this.

The idea of support seems to be in terms & conditions; Nokia still keeps the trademarks and patents and Microsoft rents the trademark to use in phones during next ten years. Nokia again is forbidden manufacturing own wireless devices until 2015. Nokia still keeps the network and other divisions, so only the phone & devices division is sold.

So, theoretically, you could think that they cleaned up the table and with in 2016 they might be starting all over again, with completely new team.

These supporters seem to forget that company loses all manufacturing resources and all distribution channels, not to mention starting from scratch with workforce.

I personally see this ending only one way; Microsoft kills the Asha line, which is the only profittable line (and reason for this does not need to be big, let's say that Series 40 OS is not invented in Microsoft, so off you go.) and then thinks still same way as with surfaces that they are big enough to able to push phones themselves better than Nokia did. Eventually Lumias are burried just about to next to Kin, Zen and SurfaceRTs and listed in "don't talk about these" list. Microsoft has promised invest 250 Million Euros to Finland to be founded wireless development center, which has been said meaning that they are here to stay. However, I personally don't see that such a big deal to them, which could not be scrapped suprsingly fast in few years if Lumias keep falling behind expectations.

For the real Nokia, the sale are of course good thing from corporate point of view; now they can consentrate in business which brings some money in company. It is not just hip and cool anymore; no one is interested about the technology behind the networks which makes the mobile wideband connections possible and so wireless devices can develop further.

Ahem. Not remotely unexpected.

From the Microsoft, "gee, I wish we could have our own, lock-stock-and-barrel, ecosystem like Apple" perspective, Elop did a bang up job. Hard not to think it was the plan all along, but, of course, likely impossible to prove.

Elop killed Nokia so M$ could play Apple. Of course M$ didn't need the maps business as they have their own maps.

MS is still licensing the Here maps platform from Nokia for the next 4 years. It seems like MS is putting less and less emphasis on their own digital maps platform or something.

EDIT: I kind of hope that the entire Here maps platform will now be available on all WP8 devices. Even those from HTC for example. You can get Here maps, but you have to pay to get the Here Drive app (navigation) and the Transit app (public transport) AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I used to say that the people who work at Nokia and never saw this coming actually deserved it for being tricked before such obvious signs of the trojan horse, watching some these tweets is actually depressing.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4689026/nokians-mourn-the-loss-of-their-company-to-microsoft

Especially the one from Damien Dinning, the former head of the imaging department.

The deal involves a cost-cutting of $600M anually. That's a lot of people being fired again.

MS is still licensing the Here maps platform from Nokia for the next 4 years. It seems like MS is putting less and less emphasis on their own digital maps platform or something.

EDIT: I kind of hope that the entire Here maps platform will now be available on all WP8 devices. Even those from HTC for example. You can get Here maps, but you have to pay to get the Here Drive app (navigation) and the Transit app (public transport) AFAIK.

Will other manufacturers even make a token effort with Windows Phone now?

Now that they're competing with the platform owner directly?

I heard Ballmer saying how "exciting" this is for their other Windows Phone partners. How so?

Back