Nokia's Present & Future

That Engadet comparison is a huge pile of crap, please keep that shit out of these forums french_toast.
Not that I disagree about Engadget's quality, but let's be honest: almost nobody uses their phone or pocket camera in anything else than full auto mode. (I'm one of them.) If your going to compare 1 setting, auto is the one to do.

Yes, both Engadget and Gizmodo have a blatant agenda, which is to kiss apple's ass and say stupid stuff about everything else because they're not from apple.

When the N8 was released, gizmodo refused to review the N8 claiming that it wasn't a gadget and then their iphone 4 review was a complete love letter to an object, cheesier than a hugh grant romantic comedy, to the point of being disgusting really.
And then came that iphone 4 vs. N8 camera comparison in engadget, where they pitched "secretly" cropped and digital-zoomed altered samples from the N8 against native photos from the iphone 4, just to get a favorable view of the iphone 4.

But I think the worst of them was cnet asia's 808 PV vs. iphone 4S camera comparison, where the "author" said the iphone had a better camera.. and the public backlash in the comments was so big that they ended up having to issue a public apology.

I think people should stay away from these websites. Giving them web hits is contributing to false information and utter lies.

Stay with The Verge and Slashgear, IMO.

Point taken..but the tests mentioned were relevant and interesting.

What about tech radar? Boy genius report? Fudzilla is a load of crap, as is the inquirer....semi accurate is sometimes very very good...other times an nvidia/Intel/Microsoft bashing idiotic mess.

That Engadet comparison is a huge pile of crap, please keep that shit out of these forums french_toast.

What that article/comparison does is show the difference between the auto settings on all the phones, nothing more. Quoting a comment there:

The One X and S3 specifically have a night mode / low light setting which they completely disregarded.

I'd advise to keep away from Engadget as they are not a technological blog any more, they are just AOL puppets looking for page-views with the technological aptness of a baboon. They have not been able to provide a single worthwhile article since all the crew with half a brain switched to The Verge.

Surely they should have tested the other modes etc too, but of course Nokia has it's shutter open longer, that's the whole point of OIS when taking photographs - you can do that, and you should.

Only reason it shouldn't be allowed would be if you're testing only the camera modules themselves without the OIS and other whatevers, but then you should have identical lenses and software stacks on all of them too, which obviously isn't happening.

Not allowing Nokia to use OIS is like saying we'll benchmark this GP2 car against F1 but the F1 can only use 1st gear

OIS typically gives you one or two F-stops. What were the exposures and ISO settings again?

It's a phone not a DSLR camera...it has to be so simple mar quick to use a 4 year old child can use it...easily.

Remember when the iPhone came out..there was already phone operating systems on another level of features and complexity...ie symbian..it wasn't the features that made IOS victorious...it was SIMPLE USER EXPERIENCE...

That's why Nokia has done the correct thing and innovated on the one setting that everyone uses..auto mode.

If your camera interface is properly designed and you've used it previously, changing to a 'night mode' setting should take a few seconds - just the same as with pretty much every other camera around, in fact.

A comparison of low-light photos on auto settings really isn't too clever if low-light settings are available.

The fact that some people don't try and change the settings on their cameras (whether smartphone or not) regardless of the conditions says more about the user than it does about the camera's ability!

My point and shoot camera gives decent quality pictures in low light when using the twilight mode with flash turned off and I prefer to use this whenever possible. Pictures of white, washed-out faces caused by a flash really aren't very attractive.

Note, I'm not denying that the Nokia's OIS is a beneficial feature in low light situations. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that nobody would ever use a camera in non-auto so low-light modes aren't worthwhile.

If your camera interface is properly designed and you've used it previously, changing to a 'night mode' setting should take a few seconds - just the same as with pretty much every other camera around, in fact.

A comparison of low-light photos on auto settings really isn't too clever if low-light settings are available.

The fact that some people don't try and change the settings on their cameras (whether smartphone or not) regardless of the conditions says more about the user than it does about the camera's ability!

My point and shoot camera gives decent quality pictures in low light when using the twilight mode with flash turned off and I prefer to use this whenever possible. Pictures of white, washed-out faces caused by a flash really aren't very attractive.

Note, I'm not denying that the Nokia's OIS is a beneficial feature in low light situations. I'm just disagreeing with the idea that nobody would ever use a camera in non-auto so low-light modes aren't worthwhile.

I think you have answered it your self...people can't be arsed with settings...one click for 80% of scenarios with no flash blowing out the photo.

Lumia 900 and the N9 got a lot of praise on forums and they didn't translate into huge sales so lets see what happens with the Lumia 920.

Some people seem to think the Samsung or the HTC WP8 phones may be better for them.

Really the challenge is for any WP8 phone to outsell something like the One X.

Given Microsoft and Nokias past astroturfing i wouldnt pay any attention to how much praise it gets on the internet. the only thing that matters for Nokia is how much the carriers will push this phone and how much marketing they can do to make people buy it

The question is how important a camera is for the average consumer. Most people take pics to put on facebook and twitter, hardly need DSLR quality camera for that. Are people willing to sacrifice size and weight for a better camera experience? Apple seems to bet on the opposite, that people are fine with a regular 8MP camera but they want thinner and lighter

Will be interesting to see

I'd advise to keep away from Engadget as they are not a technological blog any more, they are just AOL puppets looking for page-views with the technological aptness of a baboon. They have not been able to provide a single worthwhile article since all the crew with half a brain switched to The Verge.

Sorry, going on a little OT rant here (and every reprimand will be justified :) ), but:
Seriously, The Verge? IMO even worse. Take all you've written above, add a healthy dose of feel-good hipster blog vibe, a highly inflated view of themselves and an unwillingness to even try for objectivity or unbiased reporting.

At least the last two points have gotten much better since the verge crew left engadget.

Those guys have pretty entertaining podcasts.

They may not be engineers but if they're steeped in gadgets all the time, they should be able to figure out some of the things which matter.

Anyways, regarding settings, it depends on how good the UI is. Remember when your parents had their VCRs flashing 12:00 because it was a pain to change the settings?

Changing settings on point and shoot camera is kind of a pain too, from brand to brand, model to model. The UI is idiosyncratic.

This is where a good OS would just enable one-tap changing of settings, or letting you program a combination of settings.

Actually, Canon just launched a DSLR with Wifi built-in and it's suppose to have an App. that lets you change settings from a phone. That would certainly beat searching through various menus just to change the ISO setting.

Nikon also have DSLRs with Wifi dongles optional. They also announced a point and shoot running Android, I believe.

Very true..a good ui makes things much easier...most camera phone ui are already comparable.

However that doesn't get round the fact that you have to stop, look down, access the settings, scroll down pick night mode and then take picture...also night mode is crap.

Flash sometimes blows out the shot, which ruins it...sometimes the shot can only be caught in a split second and fanning about a few seconds too long or ruining the photo which can't be recreated.

This low light stabilisation is perfect for high quality casual photos and videos which most people would appreciate for night club/bar photos....it's a feature that's will make a huge difference on the go...similar to the sub second instant shots that all new phones have incorporated.

why the hate with symbian? it was a great os for multitasking.

I have moved from symbian to android and the os is really useless for multitasking and heavy typing.

then I tried Nokia lumia 900, it feels like I'm at home with symbian. good os performance but very varied app performance.

with the dual core lumia 920, I hope the app performance can be as good as the os.

There's no hate with symbian... it bought many innovations to mobile operating systems that we all take for granted..

I was just pointing out that it was not the most user friendly and slickest os when compared to ios 1...even though feature wise it was on another level for quite some time.

Speaking of the Verge, they were joking about how rabid the pro Lumia 920 people were on various forums.

Does the general public have anywhere near the same level of awareness of this product? Or is it astroturfing which won't translate into sales commensurate with all the noise it's generated on the web?

according on quick 'survey' I made by looking at the phone stores and listening to the people that looking at phones. yap I got bored and just bring my friend to stroll around checking phones.

android store full of people. lg phone in front of entrance with special pedestal is ignored. many fiddle with android from Samsung and Sony. they listen to the sales person demoing phones. they also try the camera totaled a few shots. what surprises me is that they talks about "gingerbread". seems common shoppers now know some technical thing?
anyway they confused when the sales person saying that the phone already ice cream. it solved when the sales person say that ice cream in the latest and newer than gingerbread.

on Samsung store, there just 2 'customer', me with my friend that fiddling with s3.

on Nokia store, the person quickly come to us and offer 50usd discount for lumia 900 then guide us with demo product. I guess they do that 'stunt' to other customers too, it's just that.... there are no other thing being presented or demoed.

Nokia need to grab attention. not just with special offer but by providing specially designed Nokia store that cleverly expose Nokia lumia expertise.

maybe next time they will make some crazy photography live demo with 920?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back