Nokia's Present & Future

Our local biggest cellphone seller/service provider seems to be having clearance sale for N9's for "only" €500 for the 64G model (was €750 before). Rumors say lumia 900 should arrive in around a month or two. Currently they don't sell any WP phones here officially.

Our local biggest cellphone seller/service provider seems to be having clearance sale for N9's for "only" €500 for the 64G model (was €750 before). Rumors say lumia 900 should arrive in around a month or two. Currently they don't sell any WP phones here officially.

Priced NOT to sell...and still they out sell:LOL:

I got the 64 GB N9 for $489. Since it can push DLNA it might make for some fun with the extra storage.

Edit: now I just need to trim down the SIM from my Pre 3 and then make an adapter to go back and forth between my two orphans.

Last edited by a moderator:
A phone's SIM card reader can be finicky. You may need a file to shave the corners down to the level of precision needed on the micro-SIM and on the tray when converting back.

A phone's SIM card reader can be finicky. You may need a file to shave the corners down to the level of precision needed on the micro-SIM and on the tray when converting back.

My plan is to us a good razor knife to remove the center and then use the remaining frame as the adapter for the full-size. If that doesn't work I have a bunch of old SIMs I could cut out for an adapter...or I could just buy one I suppose...

Read this.
http://communities-dominate.blogs.c...l-number-lets-count-and-compare-to-n9-me.html

N9 was launched only in some of Nokia's poorest (wealth wise) markets at a much higher price than Lumias that were launched in Nokia's richest markets. There's a lot of hand waving there, but if I was a Nokia shareholder I'd be pretty pissy about now.

Yes, the same blog using questionable assumptions to make a pre-determined point. Rather than starting with the numbers and just seeing where they lead.

I especially loved...

So with that context, the analysts' consensus estimate for Lumia launch quarter sales was 1.3 million units. We know that didn't happen.

Yes all the analysts are wrong and you are right. :p

While it could be, I'm not putting much faith in the numbers he generated with so many assumptions to manipulate what few numbers are available. I think there's actually more assumptions in there than there are actually real numbers.

Regards,
SB

Stephen herman trojan Elop (*i added the middle two names for effect*) has almost single handedly ruined the biggest most successsfull phone manufacturer the world had ever seen untill his arrival.

The strategy was already there, Meego and Symbian (over hauled) had already layed down the path to go forward, he had finish factories at his disposal, a loyal dedicated workforce (even if much of their time was spent cooking up wacky designs that would never be used) he has a still profitable business, he had demand for the phones even though they being slated by American media, HoHo says that the awesome N9 was available to go live around holiday 2010..Elop stopped it and instead wrote that burning memo letter.

You think Elop was brought in to continue on Symbian Meego? They had an insider for that job not Elop but choose otherwise

Symbian was a house of cards that dominated 46% of the market in 2009 just because competition was pathetic until that point. Apple was just starting to dominate the high end and app development but then came Google. Apple/Google vs Nokia in software expertise is hardly a fair contest. In 2010 Symbian dropped to 29% and total collapse was so obvious to everyone as soon as Android gained momentum. Nokia was too late to market with anything comparable in Symbian OS experience let alone ecosystem around it. It was only a matter of time before Android reached the low-end Symbian price points and even lower.

There was nothing to be done because the old Nokia was for years wasting valuable time protecting the Symbian illusion marketshare by not letting Maemo eat it. The idiotic deal with Intel was the final nail in the coffin and deluded the project

N9 was released in Beta form in fall of 2011 running Harmattan. Ready to go in 2010 as Meego? Must be another Tomi Ahonen delusion

Correction: Nokia branded phones are taking a hammering because of the burning platform memo and the idiotic way they've decided to adopt WP7 - and not because of some "Nokia was decaying anyway" poor/ignorant explanation that many noth-american technews blogs have been prophesizing for years.

Up until February 2011 (burning platform memo), sales numbers had been increasing, revenues were increasing (the Symbian^3 models launched in early Q4 2011 alowed for higher prices and higher profits per unit), share prices were increasing..
This isn't rocket science, just look at the sales charts and see what happens since the 11th February announcement.
The only thing that wasn't increasing was market share, but when Android 2.1->2.3 stormed the market in that period, everyone else lost market share, even apple.

Launch window shipments are not very useful to gauge anything. Tomi likes to use drive his agenda with this kind of not so useful datapoints. If you truly think Symbian^3 had a chance vs Android beyond launch.. wow. Elop was maybe too honest about the product but it didnt have any effect on sales unless you think consumers are sheep who cant see for themself

When you lose tens of percents of market share per year when the industry is growing very fast it means you will start droping very soon in unit sales also.

Yes, the same blog using questionable assumptions to make a pre-determined point. Rather than starting with the numbers and just seeing where they lead.

How does one start with numbers that Nokia won't release again? I must have missed that part.

Incidentally, got the N9 yesterday and it's quite nice. I still prefer the webOS interface (swipe to delete emails, universal search, etc.), but other than a shortage of apps, it's quite polished.

More good news for Windows Phone.

Apparently Verizon (largest cell phone carrier in the US) is starting to make some noises about wanting to push Windows Phone as hard as they pushed Android devices.

I'm going to guess that the success of the Nokia Lumia 900 in the US (note - not the rest of the world :p) is playing a large part in their decision.

Now, will Nokia be able to get in on that or is Verizon going to try to get one of it's current partners to make a premium Windows Phone device? It does make me wonder if part of AT&T agreeing to push the Nokia Lumia 900 is for it to be exclusive to their network for X amount of time.

Regards,
SB

More good news for Windows Phone.

Apparently Verizon (largest cell phone carrier in the US) is starting to make some noises about wanting to push Windows Phone as hard as they pushed Android devices.

I'm going to guess that the success of the Nokia Lumia 900 in the US (note - not the rest of the world :p) is playing a large part in their decision.

Florin already posted that couple days ago, but yeah good news for WP. Lumia 900 isn't available outside of North-America yet.

Here's hoping VZW gives a bit better endorsement...
attachment.php

Lumia 900 sold 1/2 what the 4S did in their respective first weeks and VZW has only one WP product today that isn't Nokia (it's HTC). Oh and MS just announced WP8 won't support Active Directory on tablets...

Lumia 900 sold 1/2 what the 4S did in their respective first weeks and VZW has only one WP product today that isn't Nokia (it's HTC). Oh and MS just announced WP8 won't support Active Directory on tablets...

It's been said that Windows RT won't support Active Directory, not Windows Phone 8.

Of course, we're still wondering how far exactly will Windows Phone 8 be from Windows RT. It could be the exact same thing but with the addition of phone call funcionality.
Paul Thurrott claims he has a reliable source pointing to the fact that current WP7 handsets will never, ever be upgradeable to WP8, mainly because WP8 is actually Windows RT on a phone:
There were some dueling stories about whether it would be possible to upgrade any existing Windows Phone handsets—including first-generation Windows Phone 7 devices and newer Windows Phone 7.5 handsets like the Lumia 900—to the forthcoming Windows Phone 8.
Allow me to set the record straight. No. It won't happen. Not for the Lumia 900, and not for any other existing phone. It won’t happen partially, through an update that will deliver just some features, and it won't happen for those who wish to pay for such an update. It simply isn't happening. Sorry. But please don’t email me about this; I’m just the messenger. That said, please consider the following logic behind this decision, which doesn’t explain why I can be so emphatic about this topic—sources at Microsoft confirmed this for me anonymously after the company’s infamously hard-to-reach Windows Phone PR team belatedly offered up a “no comment” after repeated queries. First, there’s no economic imperative; Microsoft’s partners have sold very few Windows Phones, and supporting a new platform on legacy hardware would be expensive. Second, the experience would be terrible; Windows Phone 8 is based on Windows 8, not Windows Phone 7.x, and requires headier, higher-end hardware with two or more core processors. Third, handset makers and wireless carriers would never support this upgrade; they want to sell new phones. And finally, wireless carriers would never, ever, ever, ever deliver this update to users. There is just no way this will ever happen. And that’s true even when you factor out that I know for a fact that this isn't happening. Again. Sorry.

As for the rest, I find it hilarious how some people keep regarding Tomi Ahonen as if he was just another armchair expert. As if this millionaire who happens to be the world's most influent consultant for mobile/wireless, fathered many of the 3G business models and authored a dozen of books about mobile, was limited to the same googlable info as most people in this forum have.
As if he'd need to have an agenda...

IAs for the rest, I find it hilarious how some people keep regarding Tomi Ahonen as if he was just another armchair expert. As if this millionaire who happens to be the world's most influent consultant for mobile/wireless, fathered many of the 3G business models and authored a dozen of books about mobile, was limited to the same googlable info as most people in this forum have.
As if he'd need to have an agenda...

Ahonen clearly does not understand software platforms and ecosystem importance. He claimed Nokia had much better ecosystem than Apple with Symbian QT in 2011 even when it was clear Apple was dominating and Nokia had no developer mindshare. All the innovation was happening on other platforms. Bizarro world.

All he takes in to account are hardware features.. software experience is non-factor. iPhone 2G had nothing on N95 right? No need to worry. Basically Tomi is a prime example of the old Nokia management that doomed the company. Except he actually was there...

Sure, but considering the Lumia 900 was sold out before it even went on sale, that just speaks to the manufacturing ability that each company had with regards to those two devices. Of course, even had Nokia been able to supply enough Lumia 900's to AT&T, I don't think it would have sold as well as the 4s, although it would have been much closer.

As to Verizon, there's always a possibility that they could push Samsung to make another foray into Windows Phone with a premium device. Although I'm not sure Verizon is ready to invest that much into it yet.

Regards,
SB

Back