Nokia's Present & Future

Apparently Microsoft is not yet doing all it can to help Nokia, as it is currently keeping early adopters guessing about persistent rumours that many WP7 devices will not get an upgrade to WP8.

It would seem wise to put such rumours to rest as soon as possible.

That is one of the prime reasons i was banging on about not wanting up to date components..all the idiotic WP7 fanbois that i have fought with dont understand the point...a £350-500 smartphone should really be getting sufficiently powerfull hardware for more reasons than 'smooth UI' :rolleyes:

That is one of the prime reasons i was banging on about not wanting up to date components..all the idiotic WP7 fanbois that i have fought with dont understand the point...a £350-500 smartphone should really be getting sufficiently powerfull hardware for more reasons than 'smooth UI' :rolleyes:

Hardware doesn't matter. I have a samsung epic 4 g from sprint, it was a top of the line andriod phone in late 2010 early 2011 and it wont be getting Ice cream sandwich which came out late 2011. Just about a year after its launch. IN fact there are alot of andriod phones that have support for a year and poor support at that.

Heck we have brand new andriod phones releasing that don't come with ICS .

So why does it matter if the nokia 900 doesn't run the newst WP OS from later this year , chances are your top of the line andriod phone wont either.

I'm sure it's doable with enough money.

Yes, I'm sure every good review for the Lumia 900 was bought and paid for. Just like every good review for the iPhone and every good review for the various Android phones. :p

Likewise, MS must have paid a few hundred people to post good customer comments. And they also paid people to buy all the stock for it.

Talk about sticking your head in the sand and refusing to admit that at least in the US it appears to be quite popular and well received.

Whether it will continue, that's the big question.

Regards,
SB

Hardware doesn't matter. I have a samsung epic 4 g from sprint, it was a top of the line andriod phone in late 2010 early 2011 and it wont be getting Ice cream sandwich which came out late 2011. Just about a year after its launch. IN fact there are alot of andriod phones that have support for a year and poor support at that.

Heck we have brand new andriod phones releasing that don't come with ICS .

So why does it matter if the nokia 900 doesn't run the newst WP OS from later this year , chances are your top of the line andriod phone wont either.

Using Android is a poor example to be honest, as they are by far the worst, they fragment the system at every layer, both software and hardware, some of that is the price you pay for having choice/different options/hardware/screens etc..fair enough most people are happy with that, its the software skinning the OEMs/carriers use to add a layer that gives them complete control over updates.

In other words they can slow the updates right down to 6 months afer a Nexus to align with there new products, or just launch their new products before the update to encourage you to go out and buy a new handset, in other cases they use the 'hardware is not powerfull enough/or not enough storage for the new update AND our software skin.=.sorry you will have to but one our other phones..BS.:mad:

Im REALLY looking forward to the Galaxy S3..but you know whats putting me off? fragmentation at every level, the fact that i may buy the most amazing, powerfull, and likely expensive handset of 2012...and i wont be able to play all the apps/games due to APP lock in...(things like qualcomm game command/Tegra zone)
Also with in 4 months of me shelling out the best part of £500 for this 'superphone' i know the software on it is going to be outdated...and i will have to wait up to 6 months till it may be updated.:mad:

The point im getting at is this, Microsoft are not like that im sure,as that is one of the reasons they denied skinning and get the updates out in just a week, they must be commended for that.
However they have been short sighted, im sure Windows Phone 8 will need some pretty decent hardware to run smoothly as it is based of W8 ARM, and so wll be using the same apps...had Microsoft waited untill MSM8660 came out as a hardware standard and stuck in 1gb rom, then ALL WP7 devices would be getting the update..no excuses.

I tried to tell people that Microsoft had got the hardware wrong not just for 'specs' and being a 'geek' but for all round value for money and future proofing for a couple of years, short sighted and annoying because i knew this would happen and would have spent my money on one.

No the example that you should be looking at if the one Microsoft is trying to copy..Apple, people with an Iphone can look forward to at least 2 major updates sometimes more, with the only reason they can't is because of a physical limitation of what the phone can handle...and Apple provides customers with up to date hardware making buying an Apple phone good value for money and somewhat future proof for a couple of years.

Anyway i have made my points!....Rant over!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking at the reviews on Amazon.com, it seems pretty obvious that a good few of them are astroturfing. Lots of people registering for the first time to post a review saying how wonderful a product is always makes me somewhat suspicious!

That said, there are other good reviews which are obviously more realistic in addition to fanboys lauding the product up and a few others trolling.

It's a decent phone, that's for sure, but hardly groundbreaking. I can't help but feel that Microsoft haven't really pushed WP7 as much as they might have with the slow roll-out across the world too little, too late in the face of Apple and Android. Given their WP-led plans, Nokia is going to suffer even more from this.

As for Elop's marketing FUD about multi-core phones, let me just insert a rolleyes just for him: :rolleyes:

;)

And how do they highlight that exactly?

Compare the reviews of the N9 and the Lumia 900 and remove the talk about "MeeGo is a dead end because Nokia abandoned it."

N9 was a rival to the iPhone by all accounts while the Lumia 900 is "great hardware, vanilla OS"

Engadget wrote:
Nokia's really made our lives difficult here. On the one hand, the N9 delivers a double punch with gorgeous hardware and brilliant software. It's arguably the first competitive flagship phone to come out of Espoo since the launch of the original iPhone -- a stunning feat when you consider how far behind the company was even just a year ago. This is the handset that puts any lingering doubts about Nokia's engineering chops to rest. We have dreams of MeeGo running on Galaxy Nexus-class superphones. Yet despite all that, it was killed before even getting a chance to prove its worth. At least the current hardware -- with its fantastic design, amazing screen and top-notch camera -- will likely be reborn as the Sea Ray (guess we'll find out at Nokia World next week). Still, it's a shame about the software, because given the choice, we'd pick MeeGo over Mango, despite its weaker ecosystem. Should you buy this device? It's difficult to recommend a platform with no future, but the N9 is everything Nokia's long time fans have been waiting for, and you could have it today. MeeGo is dead -- long live MeeGo.

IMHO Nokia stepped back from being a challenger to Apple/Google in exchange for being a lapdog for Microsoft and all they got in exchange was a cash infusion (and they still managed to lose nearly $2B in Q1). HTC, Sammy, etc. are all going to have the same access to WP7/WP8 but they'll also have a mitigated position by having Android.

Nokia's earnings report is in and it's a disaster with no bright spots.

Smartphone volumes declined 51 percent.
Margins are cut in half.
Sales in China have gone down 70 percent. China was Nokia's recovery strategy.

So they sold a total of 3 million Lumias to date worldwide. To put this in pespective, in the same timeframe Samsung managed to drop 5 million of just the freaky piece-of-toast-on-your-cheek Galaxy Note.

So the blow might've been softened by reporting some great US sales numbers. But sadly, Elop declined to give any and merely noted sales 'exceeded expectations'. What does that mean? Whose expectations?

But despite everything, they won't stop boasting how they managed to increase the average selling price (ASP) of their smartphones.

By 2%.

...and I'd argue MeeGo was better positioned to stave off the 70% drop in China which has been lost in large part to iOS. Basically Nokia today is selling WP7 in the US and everywhere else they're tanking because they killed both Symbian and MeeGo.

Why on earth would any hardware manufacturer want to have fewer OS options for their customer base? I can understand Apple since they own iOS, but Nokia has nothing but WP7/8 going forward so they either have to design hardware that blows everything else away and then capture the lion's share of the WP7/8 market (which is currently at less than 2%) and hope that somehow, some way, Microsoft captures a much larger portion of the smartphone market.

They basically bet everything on one number on a roulette wheel when previously they had been in a fairly secure, if shrinking, position. Elop deserves to be fired ten times over. He makes HP's Apotheker look like a fricking genius.

...and today Elop is saying Nokia's strategy is to drive down prices on Nokia's Lumia phones to capture market share.

Just think! They can trash their margins and capture 100% of the WM7 market; a whopping 2% of the total smartphone market.

They basically bet everything on one number on a roulette wheel when previously they had been in a fairly secure, if shrinking, position. Elop deserves to be fired ten times over. He makes HP's Apotheker look like a fricking genius.

He makes OPK look like 2006+ Steve Jobs...

...and today Elop is saying Nokia's strategy is to drive down prices on Nokia's Lumia phones to capture market share.

Drive down the prices to what? The Lumia 900 is selling for practically nothing in the U.S., compared to equivalently priced Androids.
Next stop is paying people for using their phones?

I wouldn't be surprised if some modders eventually find out how to put Android into the Lumia range (like what happened to the HP WebOS range), making it a great sale for the people who enjoy modded firmwares in a dirt-cheap phone with fairly good hardware.

In the meanwhile in my country, the Lumia 800 costs 40€ (10%) more than the Sony Xperia S (720p screen, 12MP Exmor R, dual-core Snapdragon S3 1.5GHz) and the Lumia 710 costs 20€ more than the Xperia Arc S (4" WVGA Bravia screen, 8MP Exmor R, Snapdragon S2 1.4GHz, expandable memory, HDMI-out) .
In either case, I have no idea why someone would chose the Lumia over the other.

The lower-end isn't any good either. The Nokia 500 (that frankenstein Smybian^3 model with no GPU) costs 40€ (30%) more than the Sony-Ericsson Live Walkman (1GHz Snapdragon S2, 512MB RAM).
And the Asha models are naturally taking a beating from carrier-branded low-end Androids from ZTE and Huawei.

First-gen Symbian^3 models haven't had price drops for over a year, so I see no reason whatsoever to purchase any Nokia handset at the moment.

Android ICS is already running on Nokia's N9. Lumia 900 just depends upon how locked down it is I suppose.

I actually ordered a 64 GB N9 yesterday as I have a thing for orphaned devices (my current main phone is an HP Pre 3) and dual booting MeeGo and ICS seems like a fun waste of time.

Stephen herman trojan Elop (*i added the middle two names for effect*) has almost single handedly ruined the biggest most successsfull phone manufacturer the world had ever seen untill his arrival.

The strategy was already there, Meego and Symbian (over hauled) had already layed down the path to go forward, he had finish factories at his disposal, a loyal dedicated workforce (even if much of their time was spent cooking up wacky designs that would never be used) he has a still profitable business, he had demand for the phones even though they being slated by American media, HoHo says that the awesome N9 was available to go live around holiday 2010..Elop stopped it and instead wrote that burning memo letter.

The rest is history, i suspect those at the top of android and Apple have been actually feeling sorry for Nokia, the mobile company they likely looked up to for many years, destroying them self like this.

I hope Lumias start selling, i also hope Elop put Meego/Mearmo back out in a couple of high end handsets for Nokia loyalists...they would sell like crazy IMO.

There is an analysis out there that provides evidence (since Nokia won't tell) that the N9 outsold all the Lumia phones during Q4 2011 and even surpassed all W7 phones...all without having access to some of the most lucrative markets like the US.

There is an analysis out there that provides evidence (since Nokia won't tell) that the N9 outsold all the Lumia phones during Q4 2011 and even surpassed all W7 phones...all without having access to some of the most lucrative markets like the US.

when is there qtr 4 of 2011 ? The lumia line in the united states has only been avalible for a month and a half and most of that was the lumia 800 on t-mobile

when is there qtr 4 of 2011 ? The lumia line in the united states has only been avalible for a month and a half and most of that was the lumia 800 on t-mobile

Nokia's fiscal is the calendar year. Lumias (710 and 800) were launched in November in Europe, December in Asia. The N9 wasn't even really launched - it was announced in June and started showing up here or there in Europe around September. It was priced way over the Lumia 800 and unavailable in many countries.

So it might be unfair to compare N9 sales to Lumia 710 + 800 as N9 had an extra month on them, but the analysis estimated N9 outsold _all_ WP7 phones in Q4.

Back