Nokia's Present & Future

The saving grace is the almost Appleish religious following WP7 is picking up..and almost exclusively Nokia...the Lumia 900 has got stirling reviews all round, especially after the software fix, Nokias 100 re-bate went down well, i suspct if they price it accordingly and market accordingly Lumia 900 will sell very well in europe also..the reuters article was basing that off european carriers who have not had Lumia 900 or the increased marketing blitz that came with it.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/uk-nokia-telcos-idUKBRE83G08Z20120417

Ilthough i agree with HOHO and TOTTENTRANZ that they should have stuck with the original plan (Symbian>Meego) i will go out on a limb and say that WP8 is going to rock and sell very well.

Ilthough i agree with HOHO and TOTTENTRANZ that they should have stuck with the original plan (Symbian>Meego) i will go out on a limb and say that WP8 is going to rock and sell very well.
It will likely sell better than WP7 (and that isn't saying much :p) but I'm absolutely certain it won't be "rocking", at least not in a way I want a phone to rock and I'm sure I'm not the only one :)

Regarding the reactions from the European carriers:

It certainly is interesting that while Nokia and WP7 are getting blasted in Europe, especially the UK, the exact opposite is true in the US.

So while Nokia has in the past struggled heavily in the US, it is now faced with demand outstripping their ability to supply phones.

While Europe which was previously a bastion for Nokia is turning its nose up at them.

It's also interesting to compare how much carriers have to actually pay to sell the various devices... 600-700 euros for each iPhone sold. Samsung with the highest priced Android phones going for 300-500 euros for each of their Android phone. That's the price for the EU carriers to do business with those respective companies. I'm wondering how much Nokia is getting for each Lumia sold by a carrier. BTW - if those numbers are incorrect blame Dailytech as I'm getting those numbers from there. :p

Either way. The Lumia 900 is AT&T's top selling phone currently. And the Lumia 710 is one of T-mobile's top selling phones.

Basically if a carrier decides to push it, people will buy it. If a carrier decides not to push it, they'll do whatever they can do to make it unnoticeable to consumers and hence consumer's are unlikely to buy it.

[edit] Thinking about this some, I think part of it is that since Nokia wasn't doing well in the US, it's not like Americans have any residual fondness for a dead smartphone operating system and hence feeling unreasonable hatred for WP7 on Nokia devices. Hence, in the US, people are just comparing Nokia + WP7 to iPhone and/or Android devices on a relatively level playing field.

Regards,
SB

FYI: Apollo = Windows Phone 8. There's no such thing as WP7 Apollo.

Whoops. Shows how much I follow smartphone news in general. :p I'd just automatically assumed it was for WP7.

The only reason I even bothered to start following even minimal smartphone related news was due to Win8 and the potential to run my desktop apps on a smartphone. If that happens there's a very teeny tiny chance I may become ever so slightly interested in a smartphone.

I still find it unlikely I'll ever bother to buy something other than a feature phone, unless feature phones completely disappear from the market.

Regards,
SB

Either way. The Lumia 900 is AT&T's top selling phone currently. And the Lumia 710 is one of T-mobile's top selling phones.
SB

Are you sure about that? AT&T is being paid to push it, isn't it?

The supply they provided may be lower volume than other phones, for all we know.

Moody downgrades Nokia's rating to one step above junk ahead of the upcoming April 19th earnings release.

Like the Zune before it in 2007, the Lumia's hold on the Amazon top seller spot turned out to be short-lived.

Microsoft's Windows Phone marketing general manager resigned last week, 5 months after being hired away from Samsung.

But fortunately WP7 is still seeing interest among Fins and people who do not care for smartphones.

But fortunately WP7 is still seeing interest among Fins and people who do not care for smartphones.

Why so negative? :) As others have pointed out, Android wasn't an instant success either and it took over a year before people started buying it in any meaningful quantities. The Lumia phones are doing well in US at the moment so maybe we should just wait a while and see how things settle out?

Personally, I'm optimistic that Microsoft will do the same with Windows Phone as they did with XBox.

All we know is that Nokia is supply constrained. We don't have a clue about how big the supply is.

Yes supply is constrained..but demand isn't:smile: trust me people at least in USA are lovin the WP7 slickness...i have been on some sites like dailytech, just pointing out some of the features and holes i want clearing up till i make the jump over to WP...dare i mention ANYTHING even remotely bad i get jumped on by the this new WP cult following..worse than any Apple cult i have seen, ''multi cores ruin your life'' they scream at me..i have to grit my teeth and fight them off, some times a Android fanboi comes to my aid, bombarding them with 'lack of features' and 'can only do simple things' untill i make a safe exit with my dignity intact.:p

Anyway i can see a storm brewing, you heard it here first......

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the Zune before it in 2007, the Lumia's hold on the Amazon top seller spot turned out to be short-lived.

Not terribly unexpected considering the phone is going in and out of stock at the moment.

It is pretty interesting that out of 319 customer reviews (black and cyan models) it's managed to hold a 5 star rating as of this posting.

The only Samsung Android phone with a 5 star rating only has 7 customer reviews.

Also interesting the only other Samsung phone with a 5 star rating is another WP7 phone with 68 customer reviews.

The only 5 star HTC smartphones on Amazon in the US are also WP7 phones. Not many customer reviews for those however.

So it's pretty obvious that when people actually buy one and use one, they rate it quite highly. Hence, it's not terribly surprising that now that a carrier is actually pushing it, Nokia is having a hard time keeping it in stock.

Pretty easy to get lucky and get 5 star customer reviews if not many people are submitting reviews. Much harder when a product has a lot of customer input.

Does that mean it's going to finally start to grab meaningful marketshare?

WAY too early to say. There's always the possibility that many of these buyers were just waiting for a WP7 phone with good build quality at a good price and that demand could dry up. Or it could be the start of WP7 making some decent progress.

As noted, Android did quite poorly for the first almost 1-2 years it was out. And carriers were actually PUSHING Android phones from the day it launched as the iPhone was limited to just AT&T for quite a while in the US. It's taken almost 1.5 years until a phone carrier in the US has finally decided to push a WP7 phone.

1.5 years without a single carrier in the US pushing a WP7 phone as hard as the iPhone and Android phones were pushed on day 1 of their availability.

Not terribly surprising it's been rather sluggish.

Regards,
SB

trust me people at least in USA are lovin the WP7 slickness..
It looks nearly identical to N9. What do you think how good had it done in US had it actually been offered there?
i have been on some sites like dailytech, just pointing out some of the features and holes i want clearing up till i make the jump over to WP...dare i mention ANYTHING even remotely bad i get jumped on by the this new WP cult following..worse than any Apple cult i have seen
Yeah, I've seen that too and I've yet to figure out why would anyone want to do something like that.

As for reviews, how many of those people actually own the device and how many are just fanboys talking how good it would be?

It looks nearly identical to N9. What do you think how good had it done in US had it actually been offered there?
>snip<
As for reviews, how many of those people actually own the device and how many are just fanboys talking how good it would be?

Yea i personally think that the N9 would have been awesome if properly on the market...i mean had they not tried to downgrade the SOC to a last gen OMAP3630 and stuck in a 4430 instead..stuck in the camera from the N8...put some proper marketing muscle behind it, launch it with some dedcated apps/high end games, sell it in all the markets it would have been popular in...yea i think we could have seen something special..but twas not to be:mad:

Yea at least the reviews from proper tech sites have actually had one for some time and gave there thoughts on it..was very interesting..being as the Lumia 900 was pretty much the same software side as the Lumia 800? just bigger, better screen, LTE, FFC ? so don't quite know why they are getting excited about 900, when they were luke warm over 800?:???:

Still the daily tech review was glowing, and that was not a one off, Lumia 900 is getting some needed good press, probably the very first time we can say that since WP7 launched..can't be bad.

What i want from Microkia is a N900 like QWERTY handset..with a 4.65inch display.running either WP8 or Windows on ARM (they may even be the same thing?) that would be amazing, would have prefered some Meego goodness though:cry:

Heh don't tell me you guys actually believe that these hyperbolic reviews and zealous defenders represent actual device owners? The amount of astroturfing surrounding this launch is unprecedented and this is now so commonly accepted as a valid marketing strategy that neither Microsoft nor Nokia even make an effort to always try to hide it anymore.

Ha yea i remember that, i already mentioned that over at WM site what ever its called, they didnt like it one bit!, still whilst that can explain some of the comments...
(if you read the first load that went up on Amazon, they look fishy as hell, in perfect punctuation, outlining in great detail the wonderfull advantages WP7 had over their 'previous Apple/Android' phone, and their life is now complete lol:LOL:)........It can't explain the near universal praise its got on nearly every tech site....you can't fake that im afraid.

I have often chuckled to my self whether i have been really having a fanboi war with Steve Ballmer or Elop ha ha.

Ha yea i remember that, i already mentioned that over at WM site what ever its called, they didnt like it one bit!, still whilst that can explain some of the comments...
(if you read the first load that went up on Amazon, they look fishy as hell, in perfect punctuation, outlining in great detail the wonderfull advantages WP7 had over their 'previous Apple/Android' phone, and their life is now complete lol:LOL:)........It can't explain the near universal praise its got on nearly every tech site....you can't fake that im afraid.

What universal praise? It got a lot of generally positive reviews, just like, say, the iPhone 4s and the Galaxy S2 at their releases, or the One X to name another recent example. And if you ask me that's certainly well deserved. A well made AMOLED phone at $99 is a great deal whichever way you look at it.

However, none of the reviews from sites like Engadget, GSMArena, Verge, Slashgear, Ars Technica, AnandTech or whatever attributed anywhere near the spiritual life altering experience to this phone that astroturfers would have you believe. Most outlined at least some concerns like for instance the camera quality, the relatively low ppi, the browser incompatibility and slowness, the app availability, and the hardware limitations inherent in the WP7 platform.

In fact, the disparity between the moderate enthusiasm from the professional press and the hysterical mass attack from the paid legion is so jarring that it strongly reinforces the notion that Nokia/Microsoft and AT&T are well aware that this phone will need a metric shitton of help if it it is to have any shot at being the game changer that some people are hoping it will be.

N9 / Lumia 900 simply highlight what an unmitigated, idiotic mistake it was for Nokia to walk away from MeeGo.

Back