5870->580 GTX on an Q9550: any point?

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Currently running a Q9550 at 3.2 GHz coupled with a 5870 and wondering if there's much point to installing a 580 GTX... certainly would be better to go i7, but I'm not up for the kilobuck upgrade at the moment.

Anyway, anyone done something similar?

Currently running a Q9550 at 3.2 GHz coupled with a 5870 and wondering if there's much point to installing a 580 GTX... certainly would be better to go i7, but I'm not up for the kilobuck upgrade at the moment.

Anyway, anyone done something similar?

What res are you running ?

I have a q9550 that hits 4ghz on air and i'm running a 5850 and i just ordered a 6970. But i play in eyefinity with 3 1920 monitors.

edit sorry mean to say 6970 hehe. Be a side step to a 6870

Last edited by a moderator:
19x12 on one monitor
Normall with all eye candy on and max AF with whatever AA will work without chugging.

I understand that you're feeling a little poor at the moment given the recession, personally I would say that upgrading probably won't yield the full effect of the graphics upgrade so may not be worth it until you can 'afford' that central upgrade for your entire system.

Meh...guess I'll wait for Sandy Bridge and 595 GTX or 6990...buying stuff for the kids makes me want to buy stuff for me :)

Maybe I'll put a Phenom II x4 or x6 in my media server instead... :)

You could always call dibs on your tax rebate come April. Intel generally makes some price cuts then anyway. :D

I would wait for Bulldozer if I were you.

Well, I honestly hope that Bulldozer puts AMD back in the game, but I don't see any real indications that it will. My fingers are crossed and I sure hope they get it out early in Q2.

Back