Which DX11 video card meets the best price/performance/power efficiency?

Which DX11 video card meets the best price/performance/power efficiency?

• AMD Radeon 6970

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • AMD Radeon 6950

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • AMD Radeon 6870

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • AMD Radeon 6850

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • ATI Radeon 5970

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI Radeon 5870

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • ATI Radeon 5850

• ATI Radeon 5830

• ATI Radeon 5770

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • ATI Radeon 5750

• Nvidia GeForce GTX580

• Nvidia GeForce GTX570

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX480

• Nvidia GeForce GTX470

• Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB

• Nvidia GeForce GTS 450

• Other

• Total voters
Hard to say, you have to find a way to quantify the power consumption vs price and performance.

I'd say 6850 is damn near impossible to beat atm when you combine the two categories.

Techpowerup always does the perf/watt and perf/dollar charts. It's pretty hard to deny the 6850 is winning using their numbers. 6950 seems to be doing ok also considering its at release price.

I would say the 6950 with power tune given you can have both performance and power efficiency with strictly limited power use.

6870 and the GTX 460 1 gig, IMO. Because the poll only allowed for one vote, I went with the 6870. Why that card? For the hell of it.

strange thread
the card that has the best price/performance/power efficiency is a fact surely, not a choice ?

I think the 460 cards and the 68xx cards swap the lead on a few benchmarks though the 6870 generally wins at default clocks.

So I guess it comes down to what games you play and how you weigh price and efficiency.

Then there's overclocking. For some reason a lot of reviewers who report their measurements of power consumption at default clocks don't mention power consumption when overclocking even though they include the performance results of overclocking.

If you include that, overclocking performance and power consumption, then I guess the 6850 wins.

The 6850 wins again if you exclude overclocking.

Though if you include overclocking I suppose you need to measure the bang for the buck performance and efficiency of the different boards.

Reference design is pretty much off the table for consumers with 6850's. I'm not sure about the 460's.

And of course there are no guarantees one will get the average overclock of reviewers.

I vote the 6850.

Edit: I'm in the market but I might go against my vote. I'd pay more for a 6870 board if it had better cooling and quality. Cooler and quieter is nice. A sweetly customized 6950 board might have me digging deeper into the wallet but it could be a long wait for one of those to come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to buy DX11 video card ??

That if is certainly very, very big. I'll prefer to wait for some price cuttings, or even for the new 28 nm tech process products. At least my HD4890 still performs very well and I do not need faster card.
But I voted for Radeon 6950. :)

I would vote for the 5850. Sells for about the same as the 6850, is ever so slightly more power efficient and outperforms it in a vast majority of titles.

Where is the selection for NONE because no card can meet your requirements of the best price/performance/power efficiency?

If a card has higher performance then it costs more so that makes your first two requirements mutually exclusive.

I think the 460 cards and the 68xx cards swap the lead on a few benchmarks though the 6870 generally wins at default clocks.

Sorta, on Anandtech, at stock the 460 1G beats the 6870 in only 1 out of 11 tests and swaps leads depending on resolution in 1 test. It beats the 6850 in 4 tests, swaps in 3 tests, and loses in the 4 tests out of 11 tests. The 460 OC swaps leads with the 6870, however, at the cost of much larger power consumption.

Which probably goes a long ways to explaining the pricing on Newegg.

GTX 460 1 GB - 180+ USD
6850 - 180+ USD
6870 - 220+ USD

And if you talk overclocked. Then OC'd 6850 can sometimes hit 6870 performance levels and over just as OC'd 460's can.

If price and performance were all there was to it, the 6850 and 460 would be evenly matched, but since efficiency is also part of the OP, that gives the nod to the 6850. Same idle power, but MUCH lower load power consumption.

Personally, however, if I were to buy one of the two, I'd go with the Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB just because I detest the naming reshuffle with the 68xx line.

But, since this vote wasn't about personal preference, 6850 is the best price/performance/power efficiency combination card of the current generation.

Regards,
SB

Well there's an option at every $20 increment these days and almost all of them are priced competitively. They've really got the market saturated these days.

Figure out your budget. Look at your screen resolution. Consider what games you like. Spend money. :D

It looks to me like the 6000 series from ATI is the best choice from them because of the improved DX11 performance. NV's 460 and 570 are the ones I'd look at from them.

One thing I wonder about is whether DX11 is going to matter much. Until we get consoles with better hardware, I don't think there will be a really thorough adoption of more advanced features. I'm also thinking that the new consoles will surpass DX11 because they are a couple of years off yet. There's also a substantial installed base of DX10 and 10.1 hardware to support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to upgrade my video card to DX11.

I' am NOT looking for best of the best performer video card, but more of the combination card - little bit of everything.

shouldnt you tell us your current card, i take it you dont want less performance no matter how cheap it is

I would like a geforce GT440 - 12 ROPs, 144 SP, 192bit ddr3 and a TDP of only 56W. though that is attained with low clocks.

But it's an OEM card only with tiny cooling. To me it's kind of the missing stone between the GT430 - great on cheap and low power but slow - and the GTS 450, more expensive and higher power.

shouldnt you tell us your current card, i take it you dont want less performance no matter how cheap it is

My current card is HIS Radeon 4850 (Iceqube4) small over-clock to 700Mhz GPU and default memory 1100MHz GDDR3.

I had no need to upgrade since 4850 does mostly everything for me, but now I want tessellation DX11.

The biggest question to me:
Which manufacturer goes far enough to offer seamless dual projector output (blending+screen compensation) as part of the eyefinity / surround deal?

...I can wait until 28nm.

Back