AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I said it before and I'll say it again - AMD and Nvidia are both far more likely to use early 20nm wafers on SoC's rather than discrete gpu. It's a simple case of a changing landscape and priorities.

I will eat my hat if we see a 20nm discrete gpu within a year from now, and I'll be surprised if we see one in less than 18 months from now tbh.

Didn't NVidia once put out a presentation pointing out how 20nm was pretty much pointless compared to 28nm? I thought cost per transistor and energy per transistor switch were similar.

I will eat my hat if we see a 20nm discrete gpu within a year from now, and I'll be surprised if we see one in less than 18 months from now tbh.
Quoted just in case. I demand video of you eating the hat then, too. :D

Tbh i'm more wrong than right anytime I mention hat-eating so I really shouldn't. In this case though, I'm pretty confident!

AMD will barely have had launched Kaveri by the time 20nm rolls around. They don't usually manage to release new APU's that fast. Maybe a Jaguar replacement makes sense, and that is more of a traditional SoC in a sense.. but seriously, the nay sayers sure are coming out of the woodwork. If we see a new lineup on 28nm late this year, then we may just see another a year or slightly more from then on 16/14nm. Such a case wouldn't be a stalling of progress, more of a momentary slowing followed by a rapid speed up.

"Mass production early 2014" in same sense as 28nm was "mass production early 2012"

...And risk production in late 2013, just like risk production of 28nm was late 2010, two years from actual products, right? Wait I've heard this song and dance before...

I said it before and I'll say it again - AMD and Nvidia are both far more likely to use early 20nm wafers on SoC's rather than discrete gpu. It's a simple case of a changing landscape and priorities.

I'll eat jimbos hat if theres any 20nm GPUs before late 2014.

Battlefield 4 Uses New AMD Bird Rendering Technology: PecksFX
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1711

Is this legit? article was posted on 27th of march so i don't think it's an April fools joke.(Edit: it's not an April fools article, just a satire article)

Also, anyone who wants to talk about the 8000 series and 700 series card should do so in the appropriate threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this legit? article was posted on 27th of march so i don't think it's an April fools joke.

Also, anyone who wants to talk about the 8000 series and 700 series card should do so in the appropriate threads.

Look at the other articles on that site, it is a spoof news website like the Onion but for gaming.

I am intrigued as to why Heart of the Swarm plays so much better on Nvidia cards than AMD cards.

http://gamegpu.ru/rts-/-strategii/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-test-gpu.html

Just started it yesterday and it seems to be crapping on my 7950 1Ghz edition. Vsync is basically out of the question, since it drops to 45 and 30fps every little while. I was forced to disable it and enable MSI Afterburner's frame limiter @60fps instead, which introduced some tearing but much better framerates.

This was to be expected of course, but it still it makes me wonder what makes the Radeons have so much gpu load in Starcraft II engine? Without vsync I am seeing 50-70fps with 100% gpu load. I mean this very card can run Crysis 3 at 35-40fps at max settings ffs, lol. Starcraft 2 looks like it should put 1/4 of what Crysis 3 load puts on the card.

I will try it on my 570 system to see how it fares.

Is there something AMD can do about it or is it hopeless?

Also is AMD's catalyst crew feedback page being discontinued?

Isn't that article a few days early? It's obviously a tongue-in-cheek article.

I was going to say SC2: HOTS plays fine on my Radeon. SC2: HOTS is, however, very CPU dependant. All the physics effects in the game are extremely taxing on the CPU. I'd imagine people with older CPUs will see some performance problems which I have yet to see.

Especially in multiplayer where you'll have massive amounts of physics in large scale battles.

But, IIRC, you can turn down or turn off the physics in options.

Regards,
SB

Well, i will wait next drivers for find if they can at least improve a bit the things. because this test tests show some strange things. specially on memory side.

I dont even remember if the last drivers beta had optimisation for SC2:HOS.

I dont really see any special reason the 680 is ~ 60% faster of the 7970GE here or nearly 2x times faster of a 7970.

...And risk production in late 2013, just like risk production of 28nm was late 2010, two years from actual products, right? Wait I've heard this song and dance before...

Maybe I'm using wrong names here, what I meant was how Tahiti for example wasn't originally configured for the "final mass manufacturing process", but on the "whatever-it-should-be-called process"

Regardless of all that, 20nm is ahead of schedule already http://focustaiwan.tw/news/atod/201304010042.aspx

I tried Heart of the Swarm on my 570 system and it runs considerably better although this system has an older cpu. In terms of average it's not that much better than the 7950 system, but it does not slow down like the 7950 system, giving a much better gaming experience.

I believe there's something in need for driver optimization here.

They were short on optimizations ?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78554/ps4-isnt-quite-as-powerful-as-epic-was-hoping-for

Although Epic Games publicly has high praise for PS4, the wizards at Digital Foundry have determined that maybe "the next generation of console hardware isn't quite as powerful as Epic was hoping for." How did they come to this conclusion? By comparing the first Unreal Engine 4 tech demo, running on a PC equipped with an Nvidia GTX 680, with the latest presentation running on a PlayStation. By analyzing the two, minute differences where the PS4 comes short can be found.

Back