AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

However that said...we know Seas Island is coming in another 3 months...the 8870 will be less than 299...and performance is as good if not better than 7970 GE....and very likely it will be free of stutter....not sure if AMD can/will completely solve the stutter in GCN v1...you know...the talk about upgrade through obsolescence...or natively broken in hardware..just speculations though.

How do you.. know... this? But then... you state it is... speculations.... which is it?

You are genius, I shall adopt the same line of thought.

Better go prep that spare room in the garage / on the couch I guess:p

:LOL:

There are always many other women as well. Especially if the current one controls you in such a way. :mrgreen:

:LOL:

We have a good agreement when it comes to spending money. Basicly we try to spend the same amounts and keep it fair. We are saving up for a wedding and a house so we aren't spending as much. This year I'm getting a surface pro and either a video card or a 27inch 1440p monitor. Gotta choose which one.

So it looks like the PS4 will be using an HD 7970M GPU (AKA HD 7870) .. that means it will probably be very good for graphics .

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

It'll be interesting if any of this ends up giving AMD hardware a slight advantage when games are ported from next gen consoles to PC.

Although I can't help but wonder if the compute "co-processor" could potentially be designed by Nvidia allowing for hardware accelerated PhysX on console. Or if it'll be a more generalized compute co-processor taking advantage of OCL or somesuch.

Regards,
SB

i ended up buying a his iceq 7950 its real quiet and real fast. have not noticed any stuttering in the games i play. i dont play any of the games in the techreport review tho. im playing alan wake now actually, its pretty much awesome.

It'll be interesting if any of this ends up giving AMD hardware a slight advantage when games are ported from next gen consoles to PC.

Although I can't help but wonder if the compute "co-processor" could potentially be designed by Nvidia allowing for hardware accelerated PhysX on console. Or if it'll be a more generalized compute co-processor taking advantage of OCL or somesuch.

Regards,
SB

The co-processor is most likely nothing other than the cell cpu to help with ps3 compatibility.

I am just happy they dumped the idea of using something like HD 6670 , or you think it was never their intention from the start ?

hard to know, this was just rumors ( a single APU crossfired with HD6670 ).. I dont think they have change the design in the middle, ( taking in account AMD have been choose by Sony and MS a long time ago for design the hardware of this generation ), you basically choose someone specially for the design it will bring, not just because the name.

Saw this over at Anand: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6724/amd-announces-new-winter-video-game-bundle-never-settle-reloaded

AMD Announces New Winter Video Game Bundle: Never Settle Reloaded

For most buyers the 7800 series will be bundled with Bioshock: Infinite (launch date March 26th) and Tomb Raider (March 5th), while for Asia-Pacific region buyers will get Devil May Cry (February 28th) in place of Tomb Raider. Meanwhile the 7900 series swaps out Tomb Raider for Crysis 3 (February 19th), an unlikely (and unexpected) addition to the Gaming Evolved stable. Finally, for buyers picking up a pair of 7900s (or a single 7990), AMD has a six-game bundle composed of the three new games (Crysis, Tomb Raider, and Bioshock), along with Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman: Absolution from their previous bundle.

Well this is interesting.

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_never_reloaded_settle_bundle,1.html

Sidenote, look like TR will not really run at max graphic system on all gpu.. i fear for the middle range system .

That's how it should be. Mid range systems should never be able to run a graphically demanding game at top settings. Hell, I'm old school enough that I don't think enthusiast level systems should be able to run a game that attempts to push graphics technology at playable framerates in ultra settings.

Give us a peek into what the future will bring. Not something that could have been done 2 years ago (highest settings playable on mid-range system).

Regards,
SB

I agree that's how it should be, however the show needs to be obviously superior to justify it.

It feels more like both companies are desperately trying to invent reasons to justify upgrades. Eyefinity was the last great reason imo, we need more of this and less of minute details or tricks that are barely noticeable.

Give us a peek into what the future will bring. Not something that could have been done 2 years ago (highest settings playable on mid-range system).
Most of these heavy new effects offer nearly nothing of visual upgrade over the old effects .

For example , DOF in Metro2033 ,was overly taxing while offering very little visual enhancements . Also Supersampling in Witcher 2 and Sleeping dogs , completely unnecessary and taxing !

Even Tessellation in some titles is rarely noticed and in many cases excessively used to the point of ridiculousness while offering no gains in graphics quality (ie Crysis 2).

I would rather they focus again on texture resolution , that would make a real palpable visual difference .

Most of these heavy new effects offer nearly nothing of visual upgrade over the old effects .

For example , DOF in Metro2033 ,was overly taxing while offering very little visual enhancements . Also Supersampling in Witcher 2 and Sleeping dogs , completely unnecessary and taxing !

Even Tessellation in some titles is rarely noticed and in many cases excessively used to the point of ridiculousness while offering no gains in graphics quality (ie Crysis 2).

I would rather they focus again on texture resolution , that would make a real palpable visual difference .

Ummm. I'd have to respectfully disagree. Tesselation in Crysis 2 was the most impressive thing I've seen in graphics the past 5 years, IMO. It has single handedly made all other non-tessellated games look rather bland and uninteresting. Now if only they also hadn't overdone the tessellation by tessellating perfectly flat surfaces to ridiculous extremes. I'm quite interested to see how things turn out in Crysis 3. But unfortunately I may never get Crysis 3 as I refuse to install Origin on my system.

And at least for me, the supersampling in The Witcher 2 was quite welcome even if I couldn't run it at my typical gaming resolution (2400x1500).

Texture resolution would be great as well. Hopefully with the next gen consoles having access to a larger pool of memory we'll see some noticeable advancements there, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure how willing games companies are to host games in the 40-50 GB or larger range for digital download.

Regards,
SB

Back