AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

I think, it is less during the benchmark run. I doubt you can subtract the CPUs TDP (95W) from the total power consumption per CPU+GPU pair (428W). ;)=
I mean under qual conditions, not the test conditions under which this was measured.

Blackops 2 and 7970 using eyefinity (3 monitors).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=awdQKwx5LKM#!

It also mentions using Widescreen Fixer but it's not clear to me why only the monitor on the right is only 1/2 of the screen.

Edit:
This appears to an issue for Eyefinity and Surround.

I have seen peoples complain on forum about it, no support for Eyefinity and Surround yet. outside use fix who dont really work well ( as you can see on the video ) ...

I have seen peoples complain on forum about it, no support for Eyefinity and Surround yet. outside use fix who dont really work well ( as you can see on the video ) ...
So that's the issue then. I wonder if they will fix it in a patch?

Looks like win7 users will get a partial dx11.1 update for win7. From what I've gathered it's needed for IE10/win7.

ID3D11Device1, ID2D1Factory1, IDWriteFactory1, IDXGIFactory2, IWICImagingFactory2, ID3DUserDefinedAnnotation and related APIs are available
Improved Direct3D 11 device interoperability via ID3DDeviceContextState, including the improved interop with Direct2D/DirectWrite
D3D11_FEATURE_DATA_D3D9_OPTIONS feature detection
In addition to the new Windows 8 WIC features, this update also fixes decoding of 96bpp floating-point TIFF images.

What's not included:
All D3D11_FEATURE_DATA_D3D11_OPTIONS features for Feature Level 10.x/11.0 devices
16bpp format support (DXGI_FORMAT_B5G6R5_UNORM, DXGI_FORMAT_B5G5R5A1_UNORM, DXGI_FORMAT_B4G4R4A4_UNORM)
Tile-based Deferred Renderer optimizations (D3D11_FEATURE_DATA_ARCHITECTURE_INFO)
HLSL minimum precision shader optimizations (D3D11_FEATURE_SHADER_MIN_PRECISION_SUPPORT)
DXGI 1.2 features for Stereo, Occlusion status notifications, Desktop Duplication, and NT Handle shared resources
Windows Store app ICoreWindow features of DXGI 1.2
WARP support for Feature Levels 11.0 and 11.1
Direct3D hardware support in Session 0
The DirectComposition API
Taken from the link in my other post.

Edit:
Found a win7 vs win8 review using 7970. There seems to be a big gain in win8 (using DX11.1) in Batman AC when the 7970 and 680 is used. I'm also seeing decent gains in BF3 but it's not consistent between cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
From HT4U.net: "AMD Tahiti LE is expected on 27 November appear - no reference design" (original German).
  • Part of the HD 7800 series, although a specific number is not mentioned here
  • No reference design, and it could be a limited edition like the 5830 or the 560 Ti 448 Cores
  • Performance 15-16% "before" a GTX 660. (I also checked Bing and it gave me the same thing. I'm guessing it means 15-16% higher performance than the 660?)

vor = before/in front of/ahead of.

So yes, higher.

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/radeon-hd-7870-jokercard.1398.html

Code:
GPU Chipset: Tahiti LE
GPU Clock: 925 MHz
GPU Boost Clock: 975 MHz
Stream Processors: TBA

Multi-GPU
Multi-GPU: Dual CrossFire Ready

Memory
Memory Size: 2048MB
Memory Interface: 256 BIT
Memory Type: GDDR5
Memory Clock: 6000 MHz

graph_performance_CGAX-7876XT_white.png

AMD you are letting your AIB name the Tahiti LE as....7870??? lolwut?

Is the 7870GE better than the.... 7870????

unlockable???

Look like Gaming evolved increased intention given by AMD will really start to pay. We have seen lately an increased games release number with " Gaming evolved " logo but who was not forcibly some hit .

Deus EX, sleep dogs, MOH, Bioshock Infinite,Hitman Absolution for only cite them ...

But definitively with FarCry 3, ( and surely tomb raider next year ) it look like they finally got the hit .
Review are all extremely good ( average 9 /10), and this game could well be the Gameoftheyear or in the top3 without any problem.

Eurogamer - 10/10
GamesRadar - 4.5/5
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
CVG - 9.4/10
MondoXbox – 9.3
Digital Spy - 4/5
GameInformer - 9/10
Canadian Online Gamers – 9/10
God is a Geek – 9/10
IncGamers - 9/10
VideoGamer - 9/10
Spazio Games – 9/10
StrategyInformer - 9/10
NowGamer - 9/10
IGN - 9/10
GameTrailers – 8.6/10
OXM - 8.5/10
Xboxlife - 8.5/10
Kotaku – “A Blast”

Some Hitman tech explanation in wait AMD provide the FC3 analyse. http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/11/20/hitman-absolution-in-depth/

Hitman Absolution performance: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...phics_vga_performance_review_benchmark,1.html
FarCry 3 performance benchmarks: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-C...y-3-Test-Grafikkarten-CPU-Benchmarks-1036726/

Without saying, this is will not really hurt them to get some benchmarks games like that in hardware reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
7970 beats GTX 680 by a decent enough margin, as does 7870 over 660Ti. That seems good enough to say FarCry 3 definitely favours AMD over Nvidia, not a lot, but noticably. Although since AMD's newer drivers this positioning is much more commonplace in the majority of games.

7970 beats GTX 680 by a decent enough margin, as does 7870 over 660Ti. That seems good enough to say FarCry 3 definitely favours AMD over Nvidia, not a lot, but noticably. Although since AMD's newer drivers this positioning is much more commonplace in the majority of games.

It's a 7970 GHz Edition, it's fairly typical for it to be about 10% ahead of the GTX 680.

Back