AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Dont tell me they have use this benchmark for AMD cards lol .. this one is absolutely not optimised for AMD, this is specially a physX benchmark..
You can't just discard all unfavorable evidence.

Besides, if VR-Zone runs this at the exact same settings and with the exact same setup as their 680 review, this would mean that the 7970 is faster than the 680 was at launch.

Seems like a flop, loud and the reviewers question why not just buy the original for less and overclock it? Not too mention partners already have 7970 cards over 1ghz so some question if they'll even bother. Also other reviewers note the 670 and original 7970 are better deals anyway, 680 and ghz edition arent recommended. Most dont call it the performance winner either, rather a tie with 680 (though Anand rightly mentions, first time since X1950XT in 2006 AMD can claim a share of performance crown when both vendors lineups are out)

Tom's also recommends a certain $50 cooler to keep the noise down. Which in turn increases the de facto price.

Plus didnt get the lower voltage (much), and didnt get 1075 mhz either, instead got 1000 with boost to 1050.

I still like the effort though, maybe will get more people to realize it's as fast as 680.

The new drivers frankly did as much work as the clocking, too.

Even Hardware Canucks who for some reason usually favors Nvidia in it's benches, has it like this

HD7970-GHZ-90.jpg

This is why people question AMD's competence. Why the heck did this take six months to get out of the door? And why on earth would AMD not redesign the reference cooler? At the very least they could have used a less aggressive fan profile. Who cares if it ties GTX 680 and is better at multi-monitor if it's distractingly loud???

If AMD was less stupid, and more like Nvidia, they would have had a new SKU out less than a month after GTX 680 launched, and it wouldn't have any of these glaring issues. It may have cost more to make, but Nvidia at least understands the importance of having the halo product.

Perhaps non-reference cards will save the day. Or are non-reference cards even possible when the it sounds like the GE models the reference cooler for it's boost? In any case, get your shit together AMD.

So, if Nvidia is so great, why are they like what, SIX FRIGGEN MONTHS late with anything under $400?

And so, Nvidia will now turn around and kick out the GTX 680XT that's 10% faster and retakes the performance crown within the month, right?

Come on, that's a clown post bro.

I do agree ghz edition seems like a bit of a fail, but I still like the effort.

Also agree about the cooler part, I guess. Just have to wonder how many people buying $500 hot rod cards really care that much about thermals/acoustics.

This is why people question AMD's competence. Why the heck did this take six months to get out of the door?

If AMD was less stupid, and more like Nvidia, they would have had a new SKU out less than a month after GTX 680 launched, and it wouldn't have any of these glaring issues.

I agree with you wrt to the stock cooling system's design.

The rest of your post I'm afraid expresses your lack of basic knowledge regarding semiconductor design and manufacturing.

LE: @Rangers

Rangers said:
Just have to wonder how many people buying $500 hot rod cards really care that much about thermals/acoustics.

Those that care don't buy them, of course. I may be such an example (genuinely considering the 680 passive cooled edition).

Well that's a bit underwhelming. Let's hope partners release higher-clocked versions, at least. Is it a respin after all, or just better-binned chips?

Well that's a bit underwhelming. Let's hope partners release higher-clocked versions, at least. Is it a respin after all, or just better-binned chips?

According to AMD both chips are made from the same wafers, with one receiving better binning.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970_GHz_Edition/4.html

I don't know why so negative reaction from most people. The card is running at 1050 MHz, and in some cases drops to 1000 MHz via the new boost mode.
Maybe it's a little bit overpriced at 500.

So, if Nvidia is so great, why are they like what, SIX FRIGGEN MONTHS late with anything under $400?
And so, Nvidia will now turn around and kick out the GTX 680XT that's 10% faster and retakes the performance crown within the month, right?
I do agree ghz edition seems like a bit of a fail, but I still like the effort.

The 580 supply at newegg looks depleted but there is still plenty of stock 570s remaining. So, I think that was what they were complaining about- 570 could interrupt 660 sales.
680s availability at newegg improves- 8 models surrently in stock, a clear sign of improving yields and wafer starts maybe too.

Our R7970 Lightning already runs at 1070 MHz ;)

But yeah getting Boost/Turbo on there would be interesting :)

Our R7970 Lightning already runs at 1070 MHz ;)

But yeah getting Boost/Turbo on there would be interesting :)

I think HWC have got a nice point with the 7970Ghz make him think AMD try to recall some models in retail channell was allready perform like that.

Anyway results was expected ...

:LOL:

Decrease its price from the current 550 to 450 and you will see it selling like hot cakes. Currently the value is simply not there. Sorry. ;)

so selling an-all round better product below the MSRP of a reference cards is your idea of healthy business?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave Baumann said:
Not sure why anyone cares about the reference cooler since it won't be used.
Here's a possible reason: it's what they've been sent for review?

What do you expect them to write? "It sounds terrible, but ignore all that, because AMD marketing tells us to trust them all will be fine in the end."

Foot, meet shotgun.

(WTH were you guys smoking?)

Back