AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

nah, easier way to change perception is to release higher clocked tahiti part that shows longer bars compared to competition in reviews. which they are doing.

Or have we already forgotten "people dont care about die size".

I dont think people care if it's 294mm or 365mm (not huge difference anyway, much less than fermi/caymen) they care about speed and cost.

By the same token you have AMD pitcairn 210mm schooling what, 500mm fermi parts 580/570/560ti 448 at that price range? where is public perception there?

Anyways the only people I see bringing up the "Nvidia schooling AMD with it's mid range part" on forums are pretty rabid partisan fanboys, so I doubt those guys are ripe fruit to be swayed to the other side regardless.

Well said...

ATI/AMD might win with Radeon 7970 over GTX680 in the future - when GTX 680 hits 2GB frame buffer limitation for the games of tomorrow.

You argument is flawed, considering a 294mm² die is cheaper to manufacture than a 365mm² die on the same process.

Not according to trinibwoy. When Nvidia had 500mm dies going against 300mm ones he said it made no difference.

Well, if AMD ever launches that GHz edition, they could win as soon as tomorrow.

When is that NDA? Thought it was this week :(

dual tahiti
002jgcri.jpg

0055jczf.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/135/G013536/20120615004/

http://www.4gamer.net/games/135/G013536/20120615004/

I don't want to accuse him but based on your statement he is hypocrite.

Consumers of graphics cards don't care about GPU die size just like people who buy tvs don't care about the die sizes of the chips under the hood. Die size is of no practical value to a consumer.

However, when something like GK104 (or in the past RV770) happens that changes the status quo then perceptions will shift accordingly among the people who follow such things - reviewers, forum dwellers and the like. For some reason he can't seem to wrap his head around that simple phenomenon.

If it's true that the 7970 GHz Edition is clocked at 1100MHz at 1.020v vs 1.175v with the current cards this will be a pretty big win for AMD. They are saying that it's called the Tahiti XT2. When will reviews be released/leaked?
source

At 1100MHz I would imagine it would out pace the 680 if that's true.

When Nvidia had 500mm dies going against 300mm ones he said it made no difference.

Certainly it makes a difference. However, I often see people treat AMD and Nvidia as if they share everything in common; they don't. AMD is still a considerably larger company, with considerably larger bills to pay (11,200 employees vs 7,100).

They are two completely different companies, with two completely different financial situations.

Its really hard to make a comparaison, all 7970 i have seen use 1112 and 1175mv... i think brand set their voltage to 1112 even if they can use lower. ( they will not binn the chips for stock frequencies anyway, and so they set a safe voltage for all )

We will need take cards, downvolt them, and see if they are capable of keep the stock frequencies or not..

Pure voltage doesn't tell you anything. I think Dave mentioned this at the forums some time in the past, that low leakage parts actually have higher voltages, high leakage parts lower voltages.

The HD 7970 I bought two weeks ago is running at a very low 1.0425 volts (IIRC!) under heavy load compared to AMDs reference card we've got in the lab, that's more than 0.1 volts less. Power consumption however is significantly higher on my sample than on the one AMD provided us with for testing.

Pure voltage doesn't tell you anything. I think Dave mentioned this at the forums some time in the past, that low leakage parts actually have higher voltages, high leakage parts lower voltages.

The HD 7970 I bought two weeks ago is running at a very low 1.0425 volts (IIRC!) under heavy load compared to AMDs reference card we've got in the lab, that's more than 0.1 volts less. Power consumption however is significantly higher on my sample than on the one AMD provided us with for testing.

Install LN2 pot and go for the glory with that sample then ;)

So which are the best overclockers, the low voltage high leakage parts or the higher voltage low leakage parts?
Also does that mean the low leakage parts can sustain higher voltages or that the high leakage parts just have more margin to play with, in respect to voltage adjustment?

So which are the best overclockers, the low voltage high leakage parts or the higher voltage low leakage parts?

Higher GPU ASIC Quality: lower power consumption, lower default voltage, better OC results with air.
Low GPU ASIC Quality: higher power consumption, higher default voltage, better OC results with water.

Higher GPU ASIC Quality: lower power consumption, lower default voltage, better OC results with air.
Low GPU ASIC Quality: higher power consumption, higher default voltage, better OC results with water.

Except that as CarstenS pointed out, low-voltage parts tend to draw more power, because they're leakier.

Back