AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

It's mostly anecdotal, but my Sapphire 7970 will do 1150 right out of the box with a slight undervolt to 1.150v (stock is 1.175) It does 1100Mhz at 1.050v, which is even better...

According to GPU-Z, I have an "84% ASIC" quality indicator, whatever that is worth.

Aren't kneejerk price moves are actually more about short term sales than they are about growing the brand?
One mans "kneejerk price move", is another mans "responsiveness to market demands".

Nintendo did a huge adjustment to their 3DS pricing. I don't think many would argue that they didn't make the right call in doing so. Pricing your products so that customers have reason to question the value is not strenghtening the brand. Rather, it can make existing customers less positive in their evaluation of you as suppliers, and if sales slow down, create unease among business partners.

Unfortunately, the public is not supplied with actual sales data broken down in detail, so it will be difficult to make an evaluation of market response, compared for instance to when you launched the 40nm line-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. You would think of stock was high and sales volumes were low they would be forced to reduce price, like Ninny did. But if the price is holding firm and AMD is shifting volume and retailers are not being flooded with stock without demand it would be indicative that the pricing is correct. We don't have that information. As an aside, so far AMD has released a fairly broad product lunch with the 7xxx series, NV not so much. While there may be some pressure with the products slotted against the 680 Kepler that doesn't necessarily mean AMD is hurting across the board or has a need to reduce pricing across such. Hold firm on the 79x0 products may also signal the remainder of the product lunch is experiencing strong movement so the only adjustment for the potential of the 79x0 parts seeing slower sales would be to reduce their volume.

sapphire_7970_6gb_1.jpg.jpeg

sapphire_7970_6gb_2.jpg.jpeg

sapphire_7970_6gb_3.jpg.jpeg

I think Sapphire ATI 7970 Vapor-X 6gb will take performance crown away from stock GTX680.

Exactly. You would think of stock was high and sales volumes were low they would be forced to reduce price, like Ninny did. But if the price is holding firm and AMD is shifting volume and retailers are not being flooded with stock without demand it would be indicative that the pricing is correct. We don't have that information. As an aside, so far AMD has released a fairly broad product lunch with the 7xxx series, NV not so much. While there may be some pressure with the products slotted against the 680 Kepler that doesn't necessarily mean AMD is hurting across the board or has a need to reduce pricing across such. Hold firm on the 79x0 products may also signal the remainder of the product lunch is experiencing strong movement so the only adjustment for the potential of the 79x0 parts seeing slower sales would be to reduce their volume.

But stock is accumulating and prices are falling. But it is the retailers doing it not AMD.

Half the 7970's either have a coupon or are below MSRP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-1&isNodeId=1&Description=7970&x=0&y=0&Page=1

You can check stock levels at some retailers.

http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=7970

From what I have heard, 7970s sales have been slow ever since the gtx 680 came out.

I love how your opinions (bolded section above) are simple fact and that everyone respects it as such. I could only hope that my opinion held as much weight as yours... (here's a hint in case you didn't get it: your opinion isn't fact.)

We get it, you don't like the 7000 series at all. Get out of the thread and/or quit mucking it up with your obvious bias and issues. Kthxbye.

Obviously because you dare to write it. :oops:
Show me which product of 7000 series fits to Dave's definition- to address a specific segment. But "specific segment" should mean the same as what for example 4890 did- it gave you premium (the highest possible from the company) performance for mainstream money. And if you think even more deeply- it offered you in May 2009 performance for 250$, and this same performance one year earlier was 650$. :D At this current point in time you can get 7770 for as much as 180$, and this is soon to become 3 years later. :oops: Not to speak about 7870 which is not less than 350$...

Building brand- in the case of graphics cards- I dare say it should mean more market share- the higher market share- the higher the value of the brand. ;)

Obviously because you dare to write it. :oops:
Show me which product of 7000 series fits to Dave's definition- to address a specific segment. But "specific segment" should mean the same as what for example 4890 did- it gave you premium (the highest possible from the company) performance for mainstream money. And if you think even more deeply- it offered you in May 2009 performance for 250$, and this same performance one year earlier was 650$. :D At this current point in time you can get 7770 for as much as 180$, and this is soon to become 3 years later. :oops: Not to speak about 7870 which is not less than 350$...

Building brand- in the case of graphics cards- I dare say it should mean more market share- the higher market share- the higher the value of the brand. ;)

And right there you proved Dave's point.

The 48xx cards greatly eroded the Radeon's brand positioning and image for the worse.

Yes, consumer's obviously loved the low prices. And it gained AMD some much needed marketshare.

However, as you are aptly demonstrating it also cheapened the brand, hampering and ultimately destroying AMD's ability to make a profit in the video card market.

Just look at how people started to complain when the 5870 launched at 369 USD. And that was for the highest performing card you could get with no competition.

And consider that just a few short years before the X1800 XTPE had launched at 549 USD. And more recently the X1900 XTX launched for 650 USD.

Two words, brand erosion. 48xx did significant damage to the Radeon brand image. It may have been needed considering how HD 2900 XT performed versus the competition, but as you are so well at pointing out, AMD still hasn't recovered from the damage that 48xx has caused to the brand.

You don't like it, and that's fine. All consumers are entitled to their opinions and can vote with their wallets. I did so by boycotting Nvidia products for many years due to product renaming. And I boycotted AMD for a year due to the product shuffling of the 6xxx generation.

But you seriously don't seem to understand what Dave has been saying about building the brand back up again.

Now that doesn't mean that market forces won't force AMD to adjust prices at some point. If supply starts to greatly outstrip demand they'll have no choice.

We may be seeing that slowly starting as Newegg has 3 cards under MSRP. However, 2 cards are still at MSRP. 9 cards are still above MSRP. And 3 cards are out of stock. And those 3 cards slightly under MSRP are likely AIB discounting and not AMD.

So make no mistakes about it. AMD are serious about trying to rebuild the brand. For me, that's not good news as it means it takes their enthusiast class cards out of my budget range. But for AMD it's a good thing. Perhaps they'll finally be able to post a good profit if they can get decent margins for their products.

Nvidia, interestingly enough didn't suffer from as much brand erosion from the 48xx versus GTX 280/270 price war. As you didn't hear as much complaining about price when their GTX 480 launched at 499 USD (compared to 5870 price complaints at 369 USD). And this despite the fact that Nvidia and AMD trading performance leads for the past few years.

The 48xx cards were interestingly enough the best and worst product that AMD has released in the graphics card market. On the one hand it kept the Radeon brand relevant and probably saved it. On the other hand it absolutely destroyed their ability to make a decent profit in the video card market. And they are only now slowly starting to recover from the damage that 48xx caused in that regard.

As a consumer I don't like it. I liked getting discount video cards which is what AMD have been offering for the past few years (versus the Premium video cards that Nvidia have been releasing). But that wasn't making a healthy business environment for AMD's graphics division.

People complain about driver quality, about software developement assistance (Nvidia spending way more than AMD here), etc. You can't do that if you don't have the money for it. And you won't ever have the money for that if you are considered the discount brand. Hence, AMD attempting to rebuild the brand image as a premium product and rejoin Nvidia in that market segment.

Radeon as a premium brand. 9700pro to X19xx.
Radeon as a discount brand. HD 2900 XT to 6xxx.

We'll see if AMD are successful at rejoining the premium brand graphics market that Nvidia has had to itself since the HD 2900 XT launched.

And for the record. I'm expecting 7970 prices to eventually drop to 499 USD, but only after GTX 680 is able to stay in stock at retailers. Which could take a couple weeks or could take a couple months. Just like when 5870 was priced way too low for its performance level and demand versus supply, GTX 680 is priced too low with regards to its performance and hence demand versus supply. So just like 5870, we're likely to see a prolonged launch window where supply is insufficient compared to demand.

Which is AMD's window to continue getting as much for the 7970 as they can, only reducing prices when demand starts to greatly undercut supply.

And in the end, they'll hope that the brand image has gotten a boost and there won't be as much griefing when the 8970 launches. Similar to how there was less complaining about the 6970 at 369 USD versus the 5870 at 369 USD.

Regards,
SB

A very good and interesting explanation, SB!
Nvidia, interestingly enough didn't suffer from as much brand erosion from the 48xx versus GTX 280/270 price war.

I think in this case Nvidias Big Die strategy paid of big time for the following reason. They had the unexpectedly good performing 4870 attacking it's GT200 salvage part and readily entered the price war - but only with the salvage part.

While GTX 280 also saw dramatic price cuts, Nvidia always had a single GPU product in a higher price range, where as AMDs 4870 (and Nvidias GTX 260) was available as low as 130 Euros (not counting clearance sales at it's EOL). Nvidia did not sell quite as many GTX 280 as they might have wanted to, but they had the fastest performing single-GPU card and IIRC it stayed in the 300-EUR-region throughout it's normal lifetime.

Dave's comment was a bit...odd.

Offering lesser performance for a higher price is not any way to "build a brand". It's not rocket science.

And I doubt the market will stand for it, AMD will either increase the performance (raise default clocks, make a copy of Nvidia boost), lower the price, or sell near zero. Those are the options.

For the past 12 days, GTX 680 is sold out, so D-Day has not arrived just yet, but it will.

But they don't do it, maybe the guys at NV have something in mind which you strangely don't mention.

And it was the relatively low performance of 3000 and 4000 series that "cheapened" the brand, not the corresponding fair price. This fair price tried to soften the damages both from the low performance and low market share.

7970 IS NOT the fastest card. There is no sane reason on Earth why it should be the most expensive single chip videocard on the market. Period. :nope:

:runaway:

But they don't do it, maybe the guys at NV have something in mind which you strangely don't mention.

And it was the relatively low performance of 3000 and 4000 series that "cheapened" the brand, not the corresponding fair price. This fair price tried to soften the damages both from the low performance and low market share.

seriously wtf are you smoking, first your arguments dont actually make sense second you start changing the past. if you mean 2900/3800 its not anywhere near as back or white as you paint it ( shock horror there:devilish:).

1. the 2900/3800 had very "long legs" in terms of where it landed on a performance curve over time. its "miss steps" such as high FP32 filtering performance likely helped in the long term.
2. the big thing that killed it was the AA-resolve, remove AA and its performance was largely on par.

7970 IS NOT the fastest card. There is no sane reason on Earth why it should be the most expensive single chip videocard on the market. Period. :nope:

:runaway:

if anything you just blew your own argument out of the water all by yourself. Market demand will set pricing, so obviously the market is happy to pay the current prices for a 7970. Given the fact that the 680 is on average a tiny bit faster then the 7970 then the AMD brand must be very strong indeed, almost apple like :LOL:

If AMD believed branding consistency mattered to the general public then they wouldn't have a 68xx series which was slower than the 58xx series, a 6950/70 series than was slower and a completely different type of product than the 5970, and a 67xx series which was a straight rebrand of the 57xx series.

SKU branding != Brand / "Brand Value"

It's a part of it.
I'm just basing it on the line of reasoning you used earlier.

I.e. people see a 6850, buy it as an upgrade for their 5850 their prebuilt system came with, experience a decrease in their graphics performance, and come to the conclusion that AMD is going backwards.
or
people hear from their techy friend that the 6850 is slower than the 5850, and come to the conclusion that AMD is going backwards and can only compete on price.

If AMD believed branding consistency mattered to the general public then they wouldn't have a 68xx series which was slower than the 58xx series, a 6950/70 series than was slower and a completely different type of product than the 5970, and a 67xx series which was a straight rebrand of the 57xx series.

6870 midrange - 5870 High end of the 5K series
5970 = 2x 5870 , 6970 is a single gpu.

5K series = 5770 - 5870 - 5970 (2x 5870 )
6K series = 6870 - 6970 - 6990 (2x 6970 ) ( Juniper was fit perfectly under the 6870-6850 for replace 5600series )

6850-6870 are not replacing 5850-5870, they replace the 5750-5770.. if at this time you have wanted replace your 5850-5870, this will have been with a Cayman 6950-6970. ( confusing name scheme ? maybe.. well but nobody need to have the Nobel of physic for understand it anyway )

Ofc the 6K will maybe have been different if made on 32nm. ( canceled on last minute by TSMC ). When you need change your plan on last minute, you do what you can. But that's another story.

Last edited by a moderator:

That was entirely due to the name reshuffling that I personally found unwarranted and just served to cause consumer confusion over a naming scheme that had been consistent for 3 generations of product.

But I understand why they wanted to do it. I just don't agree. Due to the aforementioned brand erosion, AMD decided it needed a higher naming number for the enthusiast part...

Hence they put into effect the x9xx name for enthusiast class. They moved x8xx down from enthusiast to performance in order to keep it was the more "affordable" gaming card. And that meant everything in the stack got shuffled.

So following performance class of GPU, you had the following...

38xx -> 48xx -> 58xx -> 69xx

But if you follow the market segment positioning, AMD wanted the following.

38xx -> 48xx -> 58xx -> 68xx

I'm going to bet that AMD originally wanted to price 6970 in the 449-499 price bracket which would have made the name reshuffling make more sense. But with TSMC cancelling 32 nm, and with GTX 580 launching a month earlier with better performance, they went with the 369 USD launch price.

And with the 32 nm cancellation I'm betting that resulted in the entire product stack being slower than planned. Hence you had 68xx slower than 58xx lending futher confusion to the name reshuffling. Whereas if 32 nm hadn't been cancelled, 68xx may have ended up faster than 58xx and the name reshuffling would have made more sense.

All that was to attempt to re-establish premium branding of the Radeon brand. But in the end it was just a bit of a mess, IMO.

Either way, that whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth for a while and hence I ended up skipping that generation despite wanting to upgrade to 2 GB of VRAM versus the 1 GB on my 5870.

However, as long as they remain consistent going forward that'll be just a short hiccup. 7970 finally sees the Radeon brand regaining some of the premium shine to it, but it's not quite there yet. As we see that from people still considering it the "discount" brand and how dare AMD charge as much as Nvidia.

But on the whole, it appears that we have for the first time, relative product parity as we did in the prior to the launch of G80.

And interestingly enough we have a similar situation to the last time we had price parity. Nvidia's top consumer graphics GPU is once again a slimmed down version similar to G71.

Regards,
SB

Back