AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Indeed, some folks at AMD seem to really miss the old times. ATi-references are far more common than you'd think be necessary. :)

There is more "easter eggs". Check out the source of the page. :D

header("X-LOL-Kepler: So Late"); :LOL:

All additional content on this page is the express property of Advanced Micro Devices. Also, everything depicted herein is completely fake.</div>

No kidding?

Are you absolutely, positively sure about that? Where has this been "confirmed"?

I couldn't find the link, but I'm also 100% certain that it has been confirmed somewhere - might have been a slidedeck or interview, not sure.

At least wrt to the mobile chips, AMD was quite open at CES this year that 7600 and below would utilize proven VLIW cores and 7700 and up would rely on GCN.

SouthIslands.jpg

@everyone: OK, I was just mildly confused by OBR posting the same fake specs twice. I mean, what kind of mentally slow person finds the same fake funny enough to post them for a second time?

I'd appreciate it if the OBR stuff is kept far away from this forum, thank you. I don't know what internet blog drama is unfolding in the land of the Premysls, but I'm sure it's more than fine there and not here. Thank you.

GPU-z actually reads CU/Shader counts from registers, not out of it's database. This way, there were faulty review samples of the Barts-GPU discovered that shipped with too many shaders enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:
GPU-z actually reads CU/Shader counts from registers, not out of it's database. This way, there were faulty review samples of the Barts-GPU discovered that shipped with too many shaders enabled.
I don't think that's always the case though, only if it knows how to read it. In particular it might not be true for new gpus which might return their basic configuration data differently than previous chips. There's also always the possibility of misinterpretation if the meaning of such data changes (for instance the chip might not return CU count but CU groups and hence if the group size suddenly changes and you don't take that into account you'll get wrong results obviously). And I'm quite sure you can't read TMU count for instance, you just have to know how many TMUs there are per CU.

Yeah, some things it derivates of others. Attached TMUs for a given SIMD/GCN/SM as you said are an example AFAIK. But wrt to SIMD/CU-counts, it calculates those from register readouts - as soon the cards are supported.

Back