AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Running the front-end @ 1GHz should be a big help to reach this performance.

If its true, we might consider 2x10 CUs for Pitcairn?

I'd think the Pitcairn chip has 2x 12 CUs and 1/16th DP-rate. Probably, not all CUs will be enabled though, depending on performance and whether or not they see GK104 in reach with higher clocks/CU counts.

256-Bit @<5Gbps for sure, if it is in ~260mm² range.
But it should be 32 ROPs, because Cape Verde is supposed to have 16.

Maybe Tahiti has no hidden CUs, but hidden ROPs? :LOL:

At least doubled CUs und doubled BW. And they did (nearly) the same in Barts compared to Cayman, which should be also considered with its 32 ROPs@900MHz.

Some performance speculation, for usual 1080p 4xMSAA/FXAA:

HD 7950 - 170-180%
HD 6850 - 100%
HD 7770 - 80-90% estimated

If Pitcairn XT doubles the 7770 specs-wise, it could land with some sub-linear scaling at ~150-160%, which puts reference 7950 only at ~10% higher performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe because 16 (and 32 respectively for Tahiti) are a perfect match for the rasterizer?

In some cases Tahiti looks to be limited by this decision.
Tahiti looks limited by drivers. We can revisit this subject in 6 months and get a decent understanding.

And why they put 16 ROPs on Cape Verde?
Yep, that looks excessive to me, just like Barts.

But Carsten's point is the clincher and why I'm prolly wrong.

You know, Obr always claims to have various unreleased hardware, but he never provides any proof of that. 1280 SP for a chip that's supposed to be under 150 mm²? I have a hard time believing that. Unless Cape Verde is actually not GCN and these are Barts/Cayman shaders. That would more or less fit, not-GCN Cape Verde being roughly double RV740 (which had 640 SP). Except the memory, that seems slow.

Back