AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

The thing is, each card is individual, the contact between core & fansink might be a bit worse on some etc, resulting wildly different dBa's as the fan needs to spin faster on card x when the contact is bad.

The thing is, each card is individual, the contact between core & fansink might be a bit worse on some etc, resulting wildly different dBa's as the fan needs to spin faster on card x when the contact is bad.

Not sure, but looking at reviews the 7970 at load is generally a bit louder than the GTX 580. Which makes me think my friend's 580's might be roughly the same noise level due to age (dust and maybe fan wear over time).

Regards,
SB

Then why is 580 quieter under load in those charts? I doubt idle noise is a problem for anyone with these cards.

Showing is always better, and the 6970 is the same as the 580 at load not louder at least in that test. However certain pitches might be more annoying to some so a dB meter isn't going to show what's best for you.

Difference doesn't seem all that much anyway, if you're really concerned about noise, use a water block or wait for a custom cooling solution better suited to your needs.

Not sure, but looking at reviews the 7970 at load is generally a bit louder than the GTX 580. Which makes me think my friend's 580's might be roughly the same noise level due to age (dust and maybe fan wear over time).

Regards,
SB

Ye not saying that 7970 isn't loud at load, just in general.

I one did sort of "compilation" of 3 cards, i think it was 470, 480 and 5870 or 570, 580 and 6970.
I think it was something like 10 sites, which of only 2 or 3 got the cards even in same order on loudness

Though in case of 7970, it has to be said that the loudness seems to be a choice - the load temps are so much lower compared to last gen according to many reviews, so they could have made the fan profile more forgiving on the expense of temps getting around same as last gen

Yes. Not HD 2900 XT loud, but it's definitely loud to me. If future enthusiast cards are going to GTX 580/7970 loud, I may have to start not going for the enthusiast cards anymore.

Join the club. :)
Personally, after years of messing around with fan/heatsink replacements, silencing surfaces and whatnot, I decided to attack the problem at its core, and simply keep the generated heat low.

Which brings me to the 7870/7850 cards. Rumors pegged them at a February release, but we have heard nothing about them at all. I hoped that the 7870 would be able to offer a nice blend of performance and power draw, once the tools for dropping voltages and clocks (and adjusting fan behavior) becomes available. (Thanks as always to Wizzard and BAGZZlash for their contributions.)

But I've heard or seen nothing, which is a bit unusual for cards assumed to be released so close in time, not even rumors of delay. Complete silence since the launch of the 7970. Odd.

Join the club. :)
Personally, after years of messing around with fan/heatsink replacements, silencing surfaces and whatnot, I decided to attack the problem at its core, and simply keep the generated heat low.

Which brings me to the 7870/7850 cards. Rumors pegged them at a February release, but we have heard nothing about them at all. I hoped that the 7870 would be able to offer a nice blend of performance and power draw, once the tools for dropping voltages and clocks (and adjusting fan behavior) becomes available. (Thanks as always to Wizzard and BAGZZlash for their contributions.)

But I've heard or seen nothing, which is a bit unusual for cards assumed to be released so close in time, not even rumors of delay. Complete silence since the launch of the 7970. Odd.

Yeah, I am very eager for the 78xx line to be released. I really need an upgrade from my 4850 and I'm hoping they will be in my $200 budget. But if they're more than a few weeks off I'm afraid I will be weak and break down to buy a used 6950, or something, off eBay.

1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_7_1.gif
1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_7_2.gif

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/01/09/amd_radeon_hd_7970_overclocking_performance_review/7
We are now seeing performance compared to a standard HD 7970 clock speed to be around 30% faster. This is a significant performance boost that will allow you to run at higher settings versus a standard HD 7970. On top of that, the performance between the overclocked HD 7970 and Galaxy MDT GTX 580 has also widened quite a bit. Our jaw dropped when we experienced 80% better performance in Deus Ex: Human Revolution compared to the MDT GTX 580.

MDT GTX 580 is an overcloked edtion as well 860MHz core
The Bottom Line

The Radeon HD 7970 has a lot of overclocking headroom. Also consider the fact that our Radeon HD 7970 is based on a stock heatsink and fan with a reference PCB, and we are experience overclocking potential such as this? Now consider the potential that exists when add-in-board partners build customized PCBs, customized power circuitry, customized components, customized BIOS, and custom heatsink and fan units. We might see even greater overclocking potential and performance to be had out of the Radeon HD 7970. This isn't the end of overclocking by any means with the Radeon HD 7970, this is just the beginning, and the beginning is already leaps and bounds better than the last generation.

I wonder if ATI/AMD will release official (HD7970 OC edition) to encounter Nvidia Kepler GPU.

From xbit's review:

As you can see, the new card brings about consistent improvements in performance across most of our benchmarks. It is 39.6 and 43.9% ahead of the HD 7970[sic] in the MSAA-less mode and 33.7-30.7% faster with MSAA at resolutions of 1920x1080 and 2560x1600, respectively. It is easy to see that the Radeon HD 7970 enjoys a larger advantage over its predecessor with MSAA turned off, although its 384-bit memory bus and larger amount of onboard memory should be more beneficial in the heavier mode. We could try to explain this by imperfect drivers if this behavior were not so consistent through most of our tests.

and they tested with 16xAF in both cases.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/graphics/radeon-hd-7970/zfulltable.png

At stock a bit slower than a 910/4780 gtx580 with AA and a bit faster without. As compared to the 860/4000 clocks on gtx580 in Hocp review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking advantage 28nm over 40nm, without increasing voltage on HD7970 even overcloked, it consumes less power then overcloked GTX580.

1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_4_4.gif

1325889231KTNbsOX8Vr_6_4.gif

But when you overcloked even further after increasing voltage on HD7970, at this point - it does consume more power then GTX580 but the performance over GTX580 does justify, even power increased much higher then GTX580.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does PRT require special support from northbridge (i.e. pci-e 3.0 or ats/pri or something else) ?

The same question about x86 uniform address space. Does it work with "older" hardware?

Back