AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

OH dear, it seems even people in Russia might be able to buy this the week after it launches!

ohoq9.jpg

OH dear, it seems even people in Russia might be able to buy this the week after it launches!
Highly doubtful considering that we're on national holidays from 31st of December till 10th of January (meaning that customs and other such things are closed). And while I appreciate your concern, I still don't see how this makes 22th Dec launch any less "paper".

Highly doubtful considering that we're on national holidays from 31st of December till 10th of January (meaning that customs and other such things are closed). And while I appreciate your concern, I still don't see how this makes 22th Dec launch any less "paper".

Hey, if Finland has cards in stock before the "release-for-sales-date", Russia has to have too :D

So "Time" is a poor measure of performance since it takes the total set-up time and adds in the average time per iteration. That means if you have a higher set-up time but much faster performance per iteration, you might still "lose". setupTime should be divided by the number of iterations as well if you care about the average performance per iteration as the set-up time is a one time cost so that should spread out over all the iterations equally, or you can just look at the "[Transfer+Kernel]Time" if you don't care about set-up costs.

Yet another bug to file against the samples :p
Humm, that's a very good point. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to look at code in-depth, otherwise I hopefully would have caught that. It would certainly explain why the "Time" results are more consistent than the "Kernel Time" results.

Hm? Shamino went 1700MHz core 2000MHz mem on Tahiti already last year, so 1600/1900 is hardly doing anything ;)

Difference is this is Quad-Fire! It's much trickier to get 4 cards OC to the same maximum level so you're bound to get a bit less MHz from 2,3,4 card setup. Anyway both Shamino's and Andre's results are amazing. My question now is: if this is TSMC 28nm HP process, how hight we will be able to go with future refresh of Thaiti (possibly HD8xxx) on TSMC 28nm SHP designed specificity for GPU's? Will 2GHz on LN2 be finally broken?

PS. This was funny from Shtal's link:
AMD: Hey, Intel. Your cpus are too sucker.
Intel: What are you talking about?
AMD: Please check Andre's score. Our GPUs are not scaling after 1530+ on quad Xfire. It's completely your fail.
Intel: I know Andre is not taken too serious on hand pick cpus. My cpu is too good enough. That's Andre's fail.

Difference is this is Quad-Fire! It's much trickier to get 4 cards OC to the same maximum level so you're bound to get a bit less MHz from 2,3,4 card setup. Anyway both Shamino's and Andre's results are amazing. My question now is: if this is TSMC 28nm HP process, how hight we will be able to go with future refresh of Thaiti (possibly HD8xxx) on TSMC 28nm SHP designed specificity for GPU's? Will 2GHz on LN2 be finally broken?

Oo, didn't notice the quad-fire :D

Anyway, SHP? First I've heard of such, where did you read from such process? :oops:
The way I understood it, Tahiti was first rumored to use HPL which was ready before HP, which is supposed to be the "highest performance process", but as it now seems, Tahiti uses HP and not HPL

Oo, didn't notice the quad-fire :D

Anyway, SHP? First I've heard of such, where did you read from such process? :oops:
The way I understood it, Tahiti was first rumored to use HPL which was ready before HP, which is supposed to be the "highest performance process", but as it now seems, Tahiti uses HP and not HPL

Sorry, mixed with GL process, anyway do we have any source about Thaiti being made on HP? I thought it's HPL ...

Sorry, mixed with GL process, anyway do we have any source about Thaiti being made on HP? I thought it's HPL ...

HPL was mentioned in the very same rumors as XDR2 was ;)
There was some talk about it in some of the HD7-threads here, the voltages, even if they can't be used as direct reference, suggested IIRC HP rather than HPL (based on the processes respective reference voltages)

HPL was mentioned in the very same rumors as XDR2 was ;)
There was some talk about it in some of the HD7-threads here, the voltages, even if they can't be used as direct reference, suggested IIRC HP rather than HPL (based on the processes respective reference voltages)

Thanks!
I know GPU manufacturers never stick to process reference voltages but with HD7970 1.17vGPU you're probably right in saying it's HP. We will have to wait for smaller members of S.I. to see if they can be pushed higher. I doubt they will brake 2GHz though. It doesn't even matter really except for record breaking clock :smile:

HD7970 1.17vGPU you're probably right in saying it's HP

nonono, it's the other way around. hpl/lp uses higher voltage. the standard voltage for 28nm should be around 0.85v, while hpl is 1.0v, lp is 1.05v.
so it's most likely hpl. considering amd uses lpg@40nm, and hpl is romored to have been more mature.

nonono, it's the other way around. hpl/lp uses higher voltage. the standard voltage for 28nm should be around 0.85v, while hpl is 1.0v, lp is 1.05v.
so it's most likely hpl. considering amd uses lpg@40nm, and hpl is romored to have been more mature.

The idle voltage of Tahiti, on the other hand, is just that 0.85v if my memory serves me right

Back