AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

According to those figures, no not really. 27fps after 4-5 years of the game being out is poor. :(

Yeah, Crysis can still challenge single cards if you turn all the settings up and 2560, etc (though, I imagine stuff like 8XMSAA is basically useless, broken? all it will do is half your FPS)

Introduction
Tahiti architecture
GNC Compute Unit
level cache Tahiti
Tahiti's ROP, texture units and the memory controller
Tahiti's Tessellator
any general-purpose computing performance improve?
GCN and Partially Resident Textures
Tahiti power control
VCE video coding technology
AMD Steady Video 2.0
Eyefinity 2.0 and DDMA
RADEON HD 7970/7950 and the larger size

PCINLIFE

7970_specsk0x73.png

7950_specsq3y05.png

prt-011gzyl.png

gcn_tessellation41x9s.png

prt-0380xl6.png

prt-02t1zqh.png

The hardware virtual texturing is very impressive though. Very good use for tessellated meshes with displacement mapping. I wonder if it could bring some advancements for a number of GI methods, like the one in Frostbite 2.0?!

It's probably the main reason but maybe yields and power dont allow them to use all.. heck intel and nvidia are far away from 1.8TF DP so they may keep it for CI ?
I'd be surprised if FirePro variants of Tahiti were not 1:2 DP. 1:4 is most likely just for consumer cards. High enough to beat NV's consumer cards (edit: and Tesla/Quadro as well, actually) with ease, low enough to make FirePro cards more attractive to those who need more DP-throughput.

Little odd that both 7970 and 7950 slides there advertise the 7970's TFlops att the bottom ?

or am i just being overly skeptical now?

Hmmm… that's a pretty large gap between the 7970 and 7950.

Really?
If they keep the clocks, it should be something like a 10% difference. Not that much.

BTW people, please stop reposting those huge slides over and over...

Hmmm… that's a pretty large gap between the 7970 and 7950.
It's actually slightly smaller than the gap between 6870 and 6850 (28/32=87.5%, 12/14=85.7%).

It's also possible the relative difference in core clockspeed will be smaller in return, I'd expect 850 +/- 25 MHz for the 7950.

How is 1CU a large gap?

Are you guys sure about the 1am EST NDA lift?

It's four CUs, but I forgot that they have to be grouped by 4, so yes, it's as small as can be. It's just larger than the gap between 6970 and 6950 (4CUs vs 2SIMDs, or 12.5% vs 8.33%).

Hmm, why DP rate is 1/4 of SP? Is this only for consumer SKUs, like Fermi?

It may well be a hardware limitation. After all, 1/4 is the cheapest way to do it.

Back