AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

af.png

hd3d.png

mbp.png

Got from MuroBBS post

The PowerTune slide is a scam in plain sight.

Apparently, they did not improve the PowerTune this gen, so beat the drum of doing nothing by comparing to something even older.

The PowerTune slide is a scam in plain sight.

Apparently, they did not improve the PowerTune this gen, so beat the drum of doing nothing by comparing to something even older.

I guess they thought it was better to have the HD 5970 on this slide rather than the GTX 580, for whatever reason. The fact is that PowerTune is still a competitive advantage, so it makes sense for AMD to keep talking about it, just as NVIDIA banged on the PhysX drum for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least I couldn't find AES 256 bench done on GPU's, though, so hard to say how VLIW4/5 compare to for example nV's lineup :cry:
I think there was once a benchmark including AES arithmetic using OpenCL, but now the team of it seems like has been dismissed.

I guess they thought it was better to have the HD 5970 on this slide than the GTX 580, for whatever reason. The fact is that PowerTune is still a competitive advantage, so it makes sense for AMD to keep talking about it, just as NVIDIA banged on the PhysX drum for a while.

Powertune might be a competitive advantage, but sitting on it and making it look good by comparing to even older hw is deceptive marketing at best. They should have improved it or compared it to nv.

If comparing to very old hw is legit, then I can make nv30 and r600 positively look like rock stars of GPUs.

That's all I need to upgrade. Bring me 60fps at 1600p AMD and we're boys again!
Ideed very impressive if confirmed (especially given that the drivers probably still have some room for improvement - and the card is supposed to take a nice overclock without much ado).

I particulary like the n/a bar for the GTX580@1080p eyefinity resolution and 4xMSAA - looks like those AMD marketing guys are having a real blast with this one :D

Shame they didn't ask id to hold the release of Rage for another couple of months. Looks like this might have been the only card without issues.

As it is, Rage had lots of problems on both cards, and left the gaming community jaded over the MT technology. So much so that's it's difficult to see if it will be used again. I know Doom4 supposedly uses it, but that's a while away still, and no other company will be jumping on the MT bandwagon for the foreseeable future. So AMD may just have made a completely pointless feature. We'll see.

(FYI: I played Rage on my 4870x2, i7 with SSD from start to finish with no patches from id and only the hotfix driver from AMD. I had 1 or 2 glitches through the whole game. I thought it looked and played great, so I'm in favour of this feature, I just don't know how useful it's gonna end up being.)

bf3af.jpg

No idea of the original source, grabbed from MuroBBS post

It's a bit too small but the 3rd column looks like a triple-screen resolution and has a rating for what looks to be a 580. How is it possible for the 580 to do 3 monitors without SLI?

It's a bit too small but the 3rd column looks like a triple-screen resolution and has a rating for what looks to be a 580. How is it possible for the 580 to do 3 monitors without SLI?

because the person copying the numbers from one guide to the other forget to copy the proper specs and circumstances?

Interesting - a presumed leaked review apparently written by AMD's marketing staff.
I wonder, since it doesn't say, if they used 3 GB GTX 580 cards or intentionally crippled the figures for larger resolutions by using a 1.5 GB version.

Back