AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Hmm. and my numbers say it's a lot (and I mean, a lot) better than Cayman, but we'll see next year.
I highly doubt that it can even possibly be a lot better than Cayman. Or did you mean Cypress? Then yes, it may well be better.

(btw, 500 pieces sounds like the availability of the 590 at launch.)
What's 590, 480 and any other NV's videocard have to do with Tahiti ending up supply limited for a couple of months? Who's trolling here?

DegustatoR: I have been confirmed by two independent sources, that there's nothing indicating bad availability of HD 79xx. Are you really sure this is going to be a soft launch?

I think full-speed FP16 texture filtering isn't really helpful these days - with the exception of 3DMark, of course.
Yup. Given the sheer amount of texture quads available it's probably pointless anyway. I guess NV did implement full-rate FP16 for Fermi for exactly this reason, to compensate for the slight step back in raw texture throughput compared to GT200.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.obr-hardware.com/

OBR says 7970 has 15% better 3dmark11 than GTX 580.

Then says difference in games is significantly less.

I mean, it's way too early to say but indications plus my hunch are it's maybe 30% faster than 6970, in line with having 33% more shaders. A tad disappointing, but OK I guess seeing as the competition doesn't exist yet.

And everytime I've been disappointed with a AMD part in recent memory, Nvidia comes along and does not much better, keeping things status quo. Just as GTX 580 didn't blow away 6970...so I might expect that to continue.

Well, sure we can blame immature driver base for all the woes, at least for now. 3DM'11 is certainly not limited by the geometry throughput, at least for the top GPUs -- it uses rather modest tessellation.

I mean, it's way too early to say but indications plus my hunch are it's maybe 30% faster than 6970, in line with having 33% more shaders. A tad disappointing, but OK I guess seeing as the competition doesn't exist yet.

There's 33% more shaders, but we don't know anything about the efficiency of the new arch.

OBR's previous pre-launch activities taught me to be very sceptical about his revelations.

I'm keeping a couple of notes for the interesting technical stuff from those slides and will wait for independent 3rd party reviews for performance comparisons. Why should anyone even trust any IHV's marketing performance figures anyway?

DegustatoR: I have been confirmed by two independent sources, that there's nothing indicating bad availability of HD 79xx. Are you really sure this is going to be a soft launch?
Yes, I am. It'll be very limited up until January at least and there is a possibility that it'll be limited even after that. But we'll see, there is a lot of noise out there right now.

Because Cayman wasn't in short supply at all since it launched on a 40G and not some new and unproven process.

It should be closer to +40-50% at least with spikes of up to +70-100% in some cases. But you have to remember the price which is supposedly much higher this time. And competition should be here pretty soon (at least nowhere near 6 months someone is expecting in this thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't care if you believe me or not. But if it's not clear to you from, say, Tahiti launch, launch time frames tend to change much without notice.

shifting press reviews up two/three weeks is something different than recovering from a spin or two.

minpayne said:
A few numbers:
1. NDA ends on December 22
2. Beats GTX580 by 20% on average, not 3DMark. Beats GTX580 by around 30% in Crysis. Expected goal has been reached. There has been no goal of doubling the performance of previous generation cards as speculated.
3. Two cards will be (paper) launched: PRO + XT

chiphell

Yes, I am.
I don't expect good availability in December, but not because of low launch-stock, but because of holidays. Xmas and New Year are public holidays (at least in Czech Republic) and shops are closed. I wouldn't blame AMD for this custom ;)

Prepare for some quotes when that card launches ;)
I'm quoting Chiphell right now. Or you mean that Kepler will end up in the same range too? If that'll be for GK110 then that'll be even more underwhelming. If for GK104 then it'll be quite an accomplishment.

I don't expect good availability in December, but not because of low launch-stock, but because of holidays. Xmas and New Year are public holidays (at least in Czech Republic) and shops are closed. I wouldn't blame AMD for this custom ;)
Let's wait for January, shall we? I hope shops are open in Chech Republic in January?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back