AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

• HD 4870 - 60-90 W (depends on model/BIOS/driver etc.)
  • HD 58x0 1GB - 27 W
  • HD 58x0 2GB - 34 W
  • HD 68x0 1GB - 19 W
  • HD 69x0 2GB - 20 W
  • HD 6990 4GB - 37 W

ORB said:
Gaming performance is far behind expectations
What are current expectations? I haven't really followed all the hoopla around Tahiti for the last couple of months 'cause most of that was just bullshit.

What are current expectations? I haven't really followed all the hoopla around Tahiti for the last couple of months 'cause most of that was just bullshit.

He has some more wrong bits there, so until everyone gets their cards I'd say hold on to the negative sentiment just yet.

Looking at the display connectivity are we going to see full width exhaust port again?! If so that's very good news :D nothing worse than exhausting 80C air into your case..especially when you have 2 or more of these beasts running.

Now I am no longer even remotely hopeful for the 7970. :cry:

we will know soon enough.

I want straight up consistent high performance across all games. No stacked deck wins or talking about how low power consumption is or how you thought so far in the future that you forgot to focus getting performance from current trends.

Skyrim, BF3 @ 1600p. Max'D out and above 60fps. Make it happen.

3W - when you are using the GPU in your CPU.

This is what I was just about to post.

If they put the entire board to sleep when doing basic 3D (Windows Aero for example) or 2D and relying on the onboard video during those times. This would be quite fantastic if it works not only with AMD onboard/embedded graphics but Intel's as well.

But the problem I see, is if that is the case, wouldn't they either have to funnel all graphics through the onboard/embedded video out or have more cable mess?

My video buying ban in finally nearing an end for both AMD and Nvidia (thank you 5870 for being such a wonderful card), so I'm interested in what both companies will be coming out with.

As well, I'm wondering if that < 3W idle figure would also apply to multimonitor setups or like current graphics cards, if the multimonitor idle power is significantly higher.

Regards,
SB

slajd1.jpg

Possibly, but not necessarily. You have to ship desktop cards to partners before they can assemble them and ship them to retailers for the actual launch.

Back