AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

http://lenzfire.com/2011/11/amd-rad...s-in-january-2012-and-hd-7990-in-march-65733/

http://lenzfire.com/2011/12/amd-pla...et-with-its-new-radeon-7000-series-gpu-40341/

9167464.jpg

Where is all this fake XDR2 crap coming from? I look at a chart that looks completely believable and then I see that and it's like :(

Interesting. But it's not in line with the driver info, which indicates the same architecture for Tahiti and Pitcairn:

Code:
AMD68FA.1 = ati2mtag_Evergreen = "AMD Radeon HD 7300 Series"
…
AMD675B.1 = ati2mtag_NI = "AMD Radeon HD 7600 Series"
AMD6751.1 = ati2mtag_NI = "AMD Radeon HD 7600A Series"

…
AMD6859.1 = ati2mtag_R475 = "AMD Radeon HD 7400 Series"

AMD6840.7 = ati2mtag_R476 = "AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series"
AMD6841.7 = ati2mtag_R476 = "AMD Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series"

AMD6799.1 = ati2mtag_R575 = "SI NEW ZEALAND"
AMD679A.1 = ati2mtag_R575 = "SI TAHITI PRO"
AMD6798.1 = ati2mtag_R575 = "SI TAHITI XT"
AMD683B.1 = ati2mtag_R575A = CAPE VERDE PRO
AMD6819.1 = ati2mtag_R575 = "PITCAIRN PRO"

AMD682F.1 = ati2mtag_R576 = "CHELSEA PRO"
AMD6824.1 = ati2mtag_R576A = "CHELSEA XT"
…
Which one is wrong?

Especially this paragraph is quite funny...
Another advantage of the 7000 series is that they will use the PCIe 3.0 bus on motherboards, while the use of new memories XDR2 seems to be left for later. A Rambus memory design would offer a higher bandwidth (up to 8,000 MHz) but the cost may pile up a bit more and that’s why AMD could have been suggested to go with GDDR5 itself.
Are they implying, that AMD replaced XDR2 memory controller by GDDR5 MC just a few weeks before launch? :)

Where is all this fake XDR2 crap coming from? I look at a chart that looks completely believable and then I see that and it's like :(

One Chinese post back in June/July and everyone keeps regurgitating it. It has had more public exposure than Kim Kardashian's *** :(

btw, Lenzfire is closer to the truth, but still spewing a lot of crap.

I know this info is to be taken with a truck load of salt, but the wiki page for Southern Islands has changed.

7970: 2048:128:48 where 48 = ROPs. This definitely said 64 last week. Is someone in the know already?

I don't know why, but my expectation for a 7970 just cratered...
If you're assuming 384bit gddr5 it most likely can't really be anything else than 48 ROPs and I would guess that's why someone changed the wiki.

Does not look believable to me anyway. In particular for GCN disabling of "clusters" should come in groups of 4 (and btw the power draw would be fantastic news but I see no reason why both nvidia and amd wouldn't go to the same limits as before).

Hmm funny that so wichita/krishna cpu is scrapped and the IGP of it still scheduled to launch? That doesn't add up :).

Hmm funny that so wichita/krishna cpu is scrapped and the IGP of it still scheduled to launch? That doesn't add up :).

Wichita/krishna scrapped since when?
The news about "starting fresh" and use TSMC are bollocks, we already knew sometime in early(?) summer that they're using TSMC at least for some of Wichita/Krishna combo

Yes, I'm aware of those, "according to sources" stuff with no official info related to such, not even to this date.
Xbit for example mentions that "Brazos 2.0 will boost performance slightly" but won't "revolutionary" like Deccan was supposed to be, yet we already knew during summer that Krishna is supposed to use just enhanced Bobcat cores.
Also none of the sites broadcasting news about that seem to know that TSMC was already meant to be responsible for at least part of Krishna/Wichita chips.

To me it sounds like someone misunderstood something along some point, which then got spread as news. "Deccan disappearing" could just aswell mean that "Deccan" will be known as Brazos 2.0 officially, if the news have any reality behind them.
What could be true, of course, is GF problems, but that wouldn't affect all of Krishna/Wichita combo.

It looks like our "onepage saleskit" but this screecap has errors in it.. sorry to disappoint you guys :)

:LOL:

So in a nutshell, model [BLANK] will have [BLANK], up to [BLANK], and even [BLANK] for a power consumption of just [BLANK]. Impressive.

I understand you. ;)

But this one is much better and at least there is a source. :devilish:

Source

It looks like our "onepage saleskit" but this screecap has errors in it.. sorry to disappoint you guys :)

Any hints about the DX support?
The card dimensions too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back