AMD: Southern Islands (7*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

We have waited long for the first graphics cards built on 28nm, and now have the first tasks appeared on AMD's HD 7000-series. The series to be unveiled in London on December 5 and all we need to know about AMD's latest graphics cards that are not yet launched it should talk about.
According to sources at NordicHardware is the moment we have all been waiting for, about to happen. The first generation of graphics cards built on 28nm to announcement during an event in London on December 5 and it is clear that AMD was first again with the latest manufacturing technology. There is no launch it comes on without an event for the media to take note of what is to come from AMD.
28nm GPUs will offer many surprises and have a much greater focus on GPGPU functionality than before, suggesting that it is GCN architecture, which stands in the spotlight. GCN will be the first all-new graphics architecture since the HD 2000 series and should bring AMD's graphics cards in line with NVIDIA in terms of GPGPU functionality, if not higher.
Besides this, we know that all we need to know about the Radeon HD 7000 series will be presented for exactly one week, 5 December in London. Then thus the first official data exist outside of AMD's closed doors.

http://www.nordichardware.se/nyhete...00-presenteras-i-london-5-december-extra.html

Bright Side of News: "Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: AMD to Mix GCN with VLIW4 & VLIW5 Architectures"

With Radeon HD 7000 Series, the situation is set to become even more complicated, with AMD mixing no less than three distinctive GPU architectures within the single generation of products.

AMD kept the unified clock concept and given that Radeon HD 7970 is based on fully configured "Tahiti XT" GPU, 2048 cores (32 Compute Units) operate at 1GHz clock. 3GB of GDDR5 memory operates in Quad Data Rate mode i.e. 1.37GHz ODR ("effective 5.5GHz"). This results with record video memory bandwidth for a single GPU - 264GB/s.

The HD7950 is based on "Tahiti Pro" and packs 30 Compute Units for 1920 cores operating at 900MHz. The number of ROPs decreased to 60, while Texture units naturally reduced to 120 (as every CU connects to 2 ROPs and 4 TMUs). Our sources did not disclose if the memory controller is still 384-bit or a 256-bit one, but the memory clock was decreased to 1.25GHz, i.e. the same clock as previous gen models. Should 384-bit controller stay, the clock should be good for 240GB/s of bandwidth.

Both products are expected to be released on CES 2012 in Las Vegas, NV, occupying the $349-449 price bracket.

I don't think so. Chips at 7Gbps were announced a while ago, so they'll probably turn up eventually, but I think IHVs are put off by their power consumption for the moment.

Edit: and it's BS News, so there's a pretty good chance that it's BS indeed. Not that it doesn't sound credible, though.

Not that it doesn't sound credible, though.

So did the supposed former fake product line up that appeared a while ago; ironically if you take that table and replace XDR2 with GDDR5 it's give or take the same stuff as BSN claims.

If those are the specs... holy moly. I have one of those please thank you very much. Infact, even though I've been saying I won't be getting a dual GPU card again (I have a 4870x2 atm) I would be inclined to wait around for the 7990. Jeeps. Annouce and release this card already!

Not that it doesn't sound credible, though.
Basically I agree, but at least one part of the article is so wrong it hurts:

(read: Cape Verde becomes Lombok, Pitcairn becomes Thames etc.)
This part is funny, because it is pretty obvious from other leaks and driver entries that

Pitcairn = Wimbledon
Cape Verde = Heathrow & Chelsea
Lombok = Thames.

Especially the 'CV becomes Lombok' part made me laugh, didn't know Lombok was located in London ;)

Another part I'm somewhat sceptical about is the 'all else is VLIW4' claim. Weren't the drivers indicating only a single additional VLIW 4 chip but 3 GCN chips?

I'm sure Lombok/Thames is VLIW, but I'm not entirely sold on CV and Pitcairn being VLIW4 just yet, although there are some reasons why this would make sense.

Bright Side of News: "Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: AMD to Mix GCN with VLIW4 & VLIW5 Architectures"

It's more like this: :LOL:

Article: "Radeon HD 7000 Revealed: Bright Side of News to Mix Real Information with Fake One"

:LOL:

...Weren't the drivers indicating only a single additional VLIW 4 chip but 3 GCN chips?...

Well, there is a make-up even for this, some people in their articles claim that those 3 chips are Tahiti XT, Tahiti Pro and New Zealand. :LOL:

To laugh or to cry? Be aware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically I agree, but at least one part of the article is so wrong it hurts:

This part is funny, because it is pretty obvious from other leaks and driver entries that

Pitcairn = Wimbledon
Cape Verde = Heathrow & Chelsea
Lombok = Thames.

Especially the 'CV becomes Lombok' part made me laugh, didn't know Lombok was located in London ;)

Why do you have to be nit-picky about a few thousand miles?

Another part I'm somewhat skeptical about is the 'all else is VLIW4' claim. Weren't the drivers indicating only a single additional VLIW 4 chip but 3 GCN chips?

I'm sure Lombok/Thames is VLIW, but I'm not entirely sold on CV and Pitcairn being VLIW4 just yet, although there are some reasons why this would make sense.

A good deal of the HD 7000 series might be renamed HD 6000 cards, maybe even a renamed HD 5000 one (bottom end, probably). That would explain there being a few VLIW5 models, but not VLIW4, as I don't think Cayman would be kept around.

And why disable 4 of them when disabling 2 CUs? Past architctures and the GCN diagrams did not have a coupling of ROP count to SIMD/CU count. The primary linkage in the GCN pics was one between the pixel pipes and the L2 cache, which would scale based on the memory bus.

There are at least 3 or 4 double-confirmed configurations:
  • 384bit GDDR5
  • 256bit XDR2
  • 384bit QDR DDR5
  • 256bit 7Gbps GDDR5
No EDRAM this time? :D

There are at least 3 or 4 double-confirmed configurations:
  • 384bit GDDR5
  • 256bit XDR2
  • 384bit QDR DDR5
  • 256bit 7Gbps GDDR5
No EDRAM this time? :D

How about it's a wee bit of everything and at the same time an elastic buswidth which can expand according to demands? What do you expect during pre-launch silly season anyway?

Back