ATI Radeon HD 69xx PCIe power connector issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent

Newcomer
Dear Dave

I find that many 6970 reference cards come with their 6 pin connectors trimmed irregularly.

What happened to the subcontractor's QC policy ?

Edit:

6950-->6 pin defects
6970-->8 pin defects

Dear Dave

I find that many 6970 reference cards come with their 6 pin trimmed irregularly.

What happened to the subcontractor's QC policy ?
It launched today and you've already found "many" with their 6-pin trimmed irregularly?

1. How did you find that out already?

2. What do you mean, "irregularly"?

Not trying to fight or troll, I'm honestly curious.

It launched today and you've already found "many" with their 6-pin trimmed irregularly?

1. How did you find that out already?

2. What do you mean, "irregularly"?

Not trying to fight or troll, I'm honestly curious.

Take a closer look at these pictures.

"PCinlife.com" from China---->
leifen_radeon_hd_6970_2gb-12.jpg

"Xbitlabs.com" from Russia-->
26_695_frn_big.jpg

picture

"Hardwareluxx.de" from Germany-->

6970-09-950x633.jpg

Shame on you, AMD

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame on you, AMD

Don't worry Digi, think about your heart!
Obvious troll is obvious

gtx580-scan-front.jpg

I mean. Vincent, have you ever seen a graphics card without the cooler so you could closely look at the 6 pin power connector? nothing wrong with the connector, the 580 has it as well, maybe lighting is too blame? Have you written an angry enquiring mail to Artron already? 6-ping PEG connectors need to be vindicated! Viva la Republica!

Don't worry Digi
Obvious troll is obvious

gtx580-scan-front.jpg

I mean. Have you ever seen a graphics card without the cooler so you could closely look at the 6 pin power connector?

You just inch toward any possible implications.(particularly the warranty)

You're calling a nubbed, internal corner some kind of defect?
Did it occur to you that it could even be intentional? Have you seen how the HSF fits?

Shame on you Vincent.

Oh, have you seen it on a production run board yet?

You're calling a nubbed, internal corner some kind of defect?
Did it occur to you that it could even be intentional? Have you seen how the HSF fits?

Shame on you Vincent.

Oh, have you seen it on a production run board yet?

Many retail models also have the same defects.

BTW, Mind your own business.

I will send my *6970* back and ask for refund tomorrow.

Night Night

Don't worry Digi, think about your heart!
Obvious troll is obvious

I mean. Vincent, have you ever seen a graphics card without the cooler so you could closely look at the 6 pin power connector? nothing wrong with the connector, the 580 has it as well, maybe lighting is too blame? Have you written an angry enquiring mail to Artron already? 6-ping PEG connectors need to be vindicated! Viva la Republica!

I think, what he meant was this:

It sure seems strange. I cannot remember a reference design that showed those marks - Was the cooler too tight a fit otherwise?

edit: Hm, way too late, pls disregard.

I think, what he meant was this:

It sure seems strange. I cannot remember a reference design that showed those marks - Was the cooler too tight a fit otherwise?

edit: Hm, way too late, pls disregard.

I reckon that "6 pin connector defects" exist among many retail/sample cards already, but nobody cares about it.

Just google the website and discover that chiphell's admin not only has proved

the 6/8pin defects with the actual reference to these scandalous issues on both

6950/6970 reference boards.

2334064bfmt2tgjc2b4dtg.jpg

the 6/8pin defects with the actual reference to these scandalous issues on both
Has anybody cared to check what is on the coresponding spot of the cooler housing?

If it appears so often and in exactly the same fashion, then maybe it's not a defect, but deliberate action, huh?

(The question would be, why didn't they solder the 6-pin one spot to the right? :/)

BTW, Mind your own business.

LOL. Grow up kid. You posted on a public forum.

Your "defect" is required to fit the cooler, so you obviously don't have one to send back.
Go solder an unmodified connector and stop your fan for us, k?

cooler%20off.jpg

Many retail models also have the same defects.

I will send my *6970* back and ask for refund tomorrow.

You can't do that. You voided your warranty the moment you removed the cooler. :devilish:

Anybody wanna bet this one of the reasons for the delay??

Seems similar to a problem we had back when I used to work for a automotive aircon company. These defects can cost weeks of delay because you have to sort through all of the stock you've built up, and that's while you continue to manufacture. What a ball-ache that was.

How in the hell did this past Q&A. **Edit** Most likely someone wasn't doing there job properly. Fire that person please. Thanks.

I'd imagine there'll be a future revision of the cooler to address this issue. Perhaps by moving the fan 1 or 2 mm down or to the side. The Xbit labs picture above has a very minimal notch implying that the fan was probably just barely in contact. And I'd imagine a new cooler revision would be cheaper than a new PCB revision just to move the power connectors which would mean a longer PCB AND a modified cooler since one of the mounting holes is right there.

And yeah that could be another reason for the delay as those corners look like they were done by hand (irregular and rough with no 2 notches looking the same). Which would take a LONG time.

Regards,
SB

Ok now we know the cause of the delay....immature drivers are out too....lame as lame gets...will it get shorted and fire hazard if some the unprotected molex catches something...

xbits cut up molex
http://www.xbitlabs.com/picture/?src=/images/video/radeon-hd6970-hd6950/30_697_pcbpw_big.jpg

techreport same
http://techreport.com/r.x/gfyhkmj/6950-bare.jpg

Are you serious?
You don't see bare metal already exposed?
What it it going to catch on?

Sheesh. Clearly their 3D CAD folks totally blew this one WRT component clearance, but it's hardly some sort of fire hazard.

The only issue here was it was going to rub on the shroud or the fan (both of which are plastic right?), it's just the packaging of the connector. The crumbs in the bottom of your toaster are a way bigger fire hazard than the possibility of 1 piece of plastic rubbing on another.

The only issue here was it was going to rub on the shroud or the fan (both of which are plastic right?), it's just the packaging of the connector. The crumbs in the bottom of your toaster are a way bigger fire hazard than the possibility of 1 piece of plastic rubbing on another.

Maybe he has one of those snazzy petrol-cooled rigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back