I've been losing 2/3rds pound or 300g per day

BMI is 27.3 which isn't too bad compared to when I started and it was 33.6 or OBESE :LOL:

Michael Jordan had a BMI over 30 when he was playing. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the BMI if you carry any significant muscle.

Thing is, I don't carry significant muscle! Im a wimp so to speak physically. I have a light frame, therefore I get +1 agility but by limbs are 50% more likely to be crippled.

Oh and one thing (you shouldn't take my advice too seriously since you appear doing fine): I've personally found it's best to have the carbs in the evening. Having carbs at breakfast made me feel hunger during the day, and not having carbs in the evening made me sometimes wake in the middle of the night not feeling sleepy anymore.
This is anecdotal evidence, but most diabetics find that carbs in the morning pushes their blood sugar up much higher than the same amount later in the day. Typically as you are waking up, the body is dumping a whole load of hormones in to your blood to wake you up, including adrenaline, which makes your body more resistant to insulin. Of course, a healthy person would cope with the slightly increased resistance without any problems, but the suggestion is there that your body has to work slightly harder to cope with carb intake first thing.

All of these reference type 2 diabetics, which is distinctly different from type 1 - the former is a result of the body not responding properly to insulin (usually with the assumption that other metabolic processes are screwed up as well). Type 2 diabetics, like healthy individuals, rarely end up with ketoacidosis until they have had the condition a very long time (i.e. when their pancreas gives up due to being overworked). Type 1 diabetics are at a much higher risk of ketoacidosis due to the lack of insulin production.

I suppose my point wasn't really that people should avoid ketogenic diets because of the risk of ketoacidosis, more that having experienced just how bad very high levels of ketones can make me feel, I personally wouldn't choose to increase the level of them any more than I have to.

On the 8th of December I was 79.8 KG

Today (21st) I broke down and weighed myself and I am 76.15

Total lost over 13 days = 3.65
Average a week = 1.96KG (2KG)

I feel pretty great actually. I just went for a 10.8km power walk non stop for 1 and 3/4 hours @ 6km/h.

Edit: My starting weight was 93.7KG and my earlier weight loss which I never measured was even faster than this.

Thats quite a lot you lost in weight. I myself am at my right weight which is roughly 90KG and I am 172cm high. I pack a lot of muscles and medium frame so that weight is my ideal. Maybe a few Kilos less to be very well defined and.. a tan. :D

Just dont get carried away to much and get skinny aint good for the health.

Thats quite a lot you lost in weight. I myself am at my right weight which is roughly 90KG and I am 172cm high. I pack a lot of muscles and medium frame so that weight is my ideal. Maybe a few Kilos less to be very well defined and.. a tan. :D

Just dont get carried away to much and get skinny aint good for the health.

Thanks!

I've lost another 4KG, I stand at 72.55 on the scales nowadays which puts me on the edge of the healthy BMI weight range. So I've now gone from almost super obese to normal! My weight loss has tailed back to an average of 0.25KG per day which is good and even less over the past few weeks thanks to the advice you and others gave. When im down to about 66-68KG I will start some weight training to build my body back up. :cool:

Having read this entire thread, I no longer have any idea whatsoever what I should be eating !

Apparently, cream on fried vegetables is a fantastic combo, mix it with brown rice coated with melted butter, and 3 cups of coffee, and my trousers will be falling off in less than 2 weeks :)

The problem with a ketogenic diet is that the action of ketosis stresses the liver and destroys muscle tissue. Also, a huge portion of the drop in weight from high-protein diets simply stems from the loss of water.

Anyway, the real problem I'm seeing here is that rapid weight loss (unless you started extremely overweight) lends itself to extreme swings in weight. The basic problem is that if you find yourself missing the food that you've given up, you'll end up binging the shit out of it when you go back, meaning you'll probably gain back all the weight you lost and more.

That said, the real improvement I'm seeing here is the exercise (something I really need to get more of...). If you keep that up, you should have little problem with being healthy. The best diet, in any case, is a diet that includes a variety of foods, especially fruits and vegetables, and relatively little meat or dairy products (if any).

The problem with a ketogenic diet is that the action of ketosis stresses the liver and destroys muscle tissue. Also, a huge portion of the drop in weight from high-protein diets simply stems from the loss of water.

You clearly have never followed ketogenic diet properly.

Edit: So set the facts straight:
- Any weight loss diet can cause loss of muscle mass, but ketogenic is probably the best way _not_ to lose muscles. The whole point in ketosis is to activate the fat metabolism to avoid gluconeogenesis.
- A huge portion of e.g. Squilliam's nearly 20kg weight loss is _not_ water. You lose the water bound to glycogen during the induction phase of the diet, nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a side note (as someone brought up the topic of water), two individual weights aren't a particularly accurate view of how much weight you have lost over X days/weeks/months. A large proportion of your body weight is water, and it can fluctuate daily. This is why hanging everything on day-to-day readings is a bad idea - a big glass of water before bed will add 1lb to your weight the next morning. Similarly, if you have little to drink the day before and are a little dehydrated, you'll read underweight. If you want to gauge weight loss more accurately, weigh yourself every day and take a (for example) 10 day moving average.

You clearly have never followed ketogenic diet properly.

Edit: So set the facts straight:
- Any weight loss diet can cause loss of muscle mass, but ketogenic is probably the best way _not_ to lose muscles. The whole point in ketosis is to activate the fat metabolism to avoid gluconeogenesis.
- A huge portion of e.g. Squilliam's nearly 20kg weight loss is _not_ water. You lose the water bound to glycogen during the induction phase of the diet, nothing else.
No, I've simply read up on the health effects of high-protein diets, from places like the American Heart Association. The health benefits of such diets are highly dubious. There are lots of risks. And it's unlikely that people who start on such diets often keep the weight off.

I've kind of gone on a hiatus for a few weeks. A week into it I've lost about a pound / half a kilo. I've sort of reached close enough to my target weight but I was concerned that if I continued the diet strictly it might have negative consequences although I never experienced any.

I'll continue the diet in a reduced form, essentially im just reintroducing some foods like fruit but im still limiting my starch intake though not 100% and I'll halve my walking to around one and a half hours rather than almost three hours a day as that is more practical going forwards.

I had about 25 STD drinks over the past week, its just been a time of revelry as a lot of my friends have been having parties.

No, I've simply read up on the health effects of high-protein diets, from places like the American Heart Association. The health benefits of such diets are highly dubious. There are lots of risks.

Well read more, and from better places than AHA. They are completely off the track on this subject. First off, a proper ketogenic diet IS NOT A HIGH-PROTEIN DIET as I've repeated multiple times in this thread. The key is high fat and low carbs. What health issues are you concerned with and on what grounds?

- For a slow start, no adverse effects have been found from long-term restriction of carbs:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1528-1167.2009.02488.x/abstract
http://www.nrjournal.com/article/S0271-5317(08)00213-3/abstract

- Moving to high-fat, low carb diet actually improves blood lipid values and lowers blood pressure, these have been shown in numerous trials. According to mainstream medical view, this lowers the risk of cardiovascular problems.
http://www.annals.org/content/153/3/147.abstract?aimhp
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100125172938.htm

- Logically, more carbs causes adverse effect on CVD risk:
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/303/15/1490.abstract

- In your opinion, one should eat little to no meat or dairy products. Again, on what grounds? For a long time, they have been considered somehow bad, based on hypothesis without evidence. Now that the subject is finally getting research, they actually seem to have positive effects, not negative:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463040
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2010-releases/dairy-foods-diabetes-risk.html

And on the other hand, vegetarian diet is exhibiting worse profile compared to omnivores on CVD issues:
http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/content/full/46/10/1957

And it's unlikely that people who start on such diets often keep the weight off.

Based on what? Your logic is that people shouldn't lose weight, because they will regain it anyway. Obviously, one must continue eating in a controlled fashion after losing weight. I know by experience that carb limiting is by far the easiest way to keep that control indefinitely, and that is experience of countless others, too.

Anecdotally, everyone I know who loves bread, potatoes, sugar / sugary drinks is fat. Everyone I know who is more into savoury foods is pretty thin or within the normal weight range.

Anyway one thing I tell my chubby GF, shes starting to listen now. Make sure that whatever meal you do eat is more nutritionally complete. I.E. Make sure theres at least a little protein, fat and other essential vitamins and minerals rather than just having bread with honey or something which has little nutritional value. Instead I tell her to make sure that shes eating at least one of her 5+ vegetables/fruit per day every meal and she has some protein, if nothing else some cheese is ideal for that. I wonder sometimes if one of the major reasons why carb restriction works is that it forces people to have more nutritionally complete meals.

Anecdotally, everyone I know who loves bread, potatoes, sugar / sugary drinks is fat. Everyone I know who is more into savoury foods is pretty thin or within the normal weight range.

Anecdotally, I know a lot of people that will eat about 2 of the suggested servings of pasta / potatoes/ rice followed by a sugary desert every day that are thin with very low body fat.

I wonder sometimes if one of the major reasons why carb restriction works is that it forces people to have more nutritionally complete meals.

It doesn't force you to have more nutritionally complete meals, as you can always go too far with either protein or fat to fill yourself up with. It just reduces the number of nutrients you can go totally overboard with.

I love bread and potatoes, but I don't like sugar ... partly because I've always favored salty candy, and partly because I just don't feel healthy when I eat sugar. Perhaps the bread here is a lot more wholesome than average though (this is probably true).

I've got a BMI of 21,7 or so though, so I'm pretty healthy at least in that regard (it's harder to tell what the inside of my veins look like). ;) Crucially, I drink about two glasses of alcohol per month and I drink mostly water and little else. And I'm fairly active, physically.

Potatoes are some of the best food there is. It contains decent carbs but at a low density (pasta has twice the density of potatoes, rice four times), and has an impressive range of vitamins. Also, there are few things that digest better. If my digestive system is upset a little, just eat some pealed, boiled potatoes and everything is back in order almost instantly. Of course your mileage may vary.

Back