Mass Effect 3

I wonder if it means anything that some anonymous soldier is narrating the trailer. It also seems like you'll be playing while the invasion is occurring. If so, that means the Reapers have reached the galaxy a lot quicker than I originally thought.

The trailer might as well include Shepard saying Finish the Fight in the end. Here I was hoping for the game to show Earth's grand civilization and cities as mentioned in the codex in earlier games, instead what we get is a war torn planet. This can easily turn into generic science fiction lore.

I'd sure like to know how the Reapers reached Earth so early without Soverign to play the cards from inside the galaxy. So much so that the guys on Earth (ie. the home of System Alliance and Cerberus) couldn't even do the necessary defense preparations eventhough they had the head start cause of having early knowledge about the oncoming attack, thereby negating the Reaper's element of surprise which was one of the more important reasons as per why the Protheans couldn't do anything back in their days. And I am sure other races must've been sleeping while the large Reaper fleet came in to destroy a single planet and took a week to partially destroy a single city ?

This is even more daunting after the fact that they basically gave you a choice of researching Reaper technology in ME2's ending which SHOULD have been the paragon choice mind you, cause its just stupid to give away an opportunity like that when it can be pretty much your single biggest chance to prevent the annihilation of your species followed by the entire galaxy. This in particular is such a big point that it guarantees a branching main story on its own.

If that's the case then all of Shepard's attempt in ME1 and ME2 were in vain.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is even more daunting after the fact that they basically gave you a choice of researching Reaper technology in ME2's ending which SHOULD have been the paragon choice mind you, cause its just stupid to give away an opportunity like that when it can be pretty much your single biggest chance to prevent the annihilation of your species followed by the entire galaxy. This in particular is such a big point that it guarantees a branching main story on its own.

Ah, but you're assuming that the reaper technology is 100% controllable. What if it turns out to backfire due to unforseen booby-traps? Just like in the third novel with Illusive Man trying to reverse engineer Reaper tech that didn't go too well. Plus we've already seen what happened with Saren trying to utilize Sovereign and instead becoming indoctrinated. Furthermore, there's Sovereign's effect on the Geth and how that culminated during Legion's loyalty mission.

I'd sure like to know how the Reapers reached Earth so early without Soverign to play the cards from inside the galaxy. So much so that the guys on Earth (ie. the home of System Alliance and Cerberus) couldn't even do the necessary defense preparations eventhough they had the head start cause of having early knowledge about the oncoming attack, thereby negating the Reaper's element of surprise which was one of the more important reasons as per why the Protheans couldn't do anything back in their days. And I am sure other races must've been sleeping while the large Reaper fleet came in to destroy a single planet and took a week to partially destroy a single city ?

Well, let's not forget that the Citadel's main purpose was to wipe out the dominant species' leadership before the rest of the galaxy could be warned. It wouldn't be too smart if the Reapers couldn't make use of the other relays in a similar fashion for transit from dark space. With the Citadel in control now, the Reapers will simply have a much longer fight to retake the galaxy starting with relays at the outer edge of the Galaxy.

In that sense, it would be a race for time for Shepard to convince the various Council and non-Council species to stop their damn bickering and prepare for war. And that's not to trivialize the logistics involved with a galaxy-wide effort and building fleets of ships, AND not spreading the fleets too thinly for rapid response. We already saw how damn difficult it was to take down Sovereign and now we're looking at a full-scale Reaper fleet.

With the Rachni, Krogan gene solution, Geth fleet, Quarian fleet, Shepard will have a sizable resistance at best. Humanity doesn't have the resources themselves. The Turian, Asari, and Salarian fleets were practically obliterated at the end of the first game and are fuck-all useless in Mass Effect 2. Keeping that in mind, the decisions you made throughout the first and second games would have far-reaching implications as to how difficult the third game will end up being. And it also begs the question of what the player can do alternatively should the choices that were made turn out not ideal.

That leads me to think there's going to be a lot of gameplay/story focused on political maneuvering.

Releasing it just when I only have the net through an iPhone !
Nice trailer, really curious about the gameplay and effects of former choices on that game.

I wonder if it means anything that some anonymous soldier is narrating the trailer.

Before some EA clerk accidentally revealed that it is indeed ME3, the whole trailer was designed to trick the viewer that it's about something else, up until the final shot showing the reapers. Which is why the character isn't Shepard and he's not wearing N7-like armor (we've also managed to convince Bioware to drop the visor they wanted to include), or why you don't see modern buildings or vehicles, or why we've desaturated the rifle's colored parts. So I don't think that it has any other meaning.
(Yeah, we did this trailer, and I've been jumping up and down when I've learned about it ;)

It also seems like you'll be playing while the invasion is occurring. If so, that means the Reapers have reached the galaxy a lot quicker than I originally thought.

As far as I know time is advancing in the ME universe between releases, too. So when ME3 starts it'll be about two years after the destruction of the collector base.

As for how they got back, well, since they've built the mass relay network, there must be a way for them to cross great distances without system, too. They should be able to accelerate to incredible speeds, after all even a derelict reaper had the energy to maintain position in a planet's gravity field for 37 million years.

As for the story, I'd be disappointed if it would be as simple as building a fleet and fighting a last great battle. In fact, I'd be disappointed if there would be only one ending and I couldn't decide to make piece with the reapers, or have humanity replace them.
And let's not forget, we still don't know a lot of pretty important details, like where the reapers are from, why they're doing this, and what's going on with suns and dark matter. If anyone has read the Gateway novels from Pohl, there's one possible source of inspiration, and Clarke's 2001 seems to be another one - knowing the Bioware writers, I'd expect some surprises and a far more divergent story depending on the player's previous choices.

I wonder about at what point in Mass Effect 3 the events of the trailer take place? in the beginning, middle or later parts of the game? Absolutely cannot wait in any case.

First screens:

image_mass_effect_3-15465-2186_0001.jpg

image_mass_effect_3-15465-2186_0002.jpg

Wonder what those things are? Reaper controlled enemies or Cerberus?

Cerberus heavy commandos, probably, as there's the yellow-white-black color theme, and even the logo on the middle guy's left arm.

Also, gameinformer site has a lot of material now:
http://www.gameinformer.com/p/masseffect3.aspx

Stuff like a peak at the ME3 Garrus, some interesting info on Reapers, and so on. There also seems to be a bit of internal conflict on whether they should finally show Quarian faces or not :)

How so? NES6 was rumoured to hit middle of 2012 at the earliest. Maybe they just wanted avoid a crowded holiday? I suppose it would at least give them a couple more months for QA now that they have a third sku to handle.

Im think im not the only one that is glad this year is to jammed packed.
Now i have two rpg to look out for in 2012 Kingdom of amular(?) and Mass effect 3.
2011 is all about Gears3,UC3,forza4,BF3 and Skyrim.

Doesn't promise anything good :( http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-04-mass-effect-3-tweaked-for-larger-market

essentially step-by-step adjust the gameplay mechanics and some of the features that you'll see at E3 to put this in a genre equivalent to shooter-meets-RPG," he said, "and essentially address a much larger market opportunity than Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 began to approach

And there I was thinking mass effect2 was already dumbed down way too much in comparison to mass effect 1.

This is sad day, first mass effect2, then dragon age2 and now even more "widening the audience" with mass effect3. Makes me sad panda as I digged the rpg elements more than shooter/action elements.

They added options on weapons, which is what I wanted, so I'm fine sofar.

ME was a mess, ME2 was a little too restrictive, adding weapon options like in Crysis may be good, depending what option there are.

I can only wish we'll have some freedom unlike ME2 in which we were forced to work for Cerberus and couldn't even try to gather intelligence to make it fall in the process. (Although turning Cerberus agents and stealing the ship should be a nice kick already.)

Back