Uncharted 3

Yeah that's the one. I remember when you stop, the engine will apply more advanced effects to the scene to improve the look further.

You could pause the MP game, and pan the camera. When I stopped the camera, it looked like effects like depth of field become more pronounced. Am I seeing things ? ^_^

EDIT: I checked out UC2 briefly last night. UC3 has better environments and effects. I'm not so sure about the characters. In Co-op Adventures, the new character seems to have this crayon feel to them. Are they looking for a more painted look there ?

They can accumulate slightly offset renders in the framebuffer if the action is paused. Some Autodesk content creation apps do high quality AO and DOF this way.

It might be from multiplayer. I used to think the differences between Uncharted 2 and 3 were minimal until recently. After going back to UC2 I can see that multiplayer character detail and lighting are noticeably improved in UC3. Still miss the blur and distortion effects from UC2 though.

Really ? I thought UC3 MP models are worse off. I need to reload UC2 and see for myself. ^_^

I remember UC2 also has this cool photo mode. I don't seem to see it in UC3 (Wasn't looking).

In any case, all I care about is the gameplay in MP. It's a solid improvement over UC2. The only thing I "hate" are players who voted to play Crushing or Hard and then turned out to be not-so-great players. I died a bunch because of 'em [point figure at idiots]

You could pause the MP game, and pan the camera. When I stopped the camera, it looked like effects like depth of field becomes more pronounced. Am I seeing things ? ^_^

EDIT: I checked out UC2 briefly last night. UC3 has better environments and effects. I'm not so sure about the characters. In Co-op Adventures, the new character seems to have this crayon feel to them. Are they looking for a more painted look there ?

After seeing this, I look at the first quote and I can't help wondering if that's true. Patsu seemed to notice a downgrade, instead.

I don't own the game, so please tell me that's not that fugly... :???:

It may be case by case (e.g., different characters and game modes). The MP seems pretty hefty.

I skimmed through GAF this morning. Some are saying ND did not optimize the characters because the users can customize them.

EDIT: Does UC3 MP support 3D ? I thought only the SP is 3D ? I haven't tested 3D on the game yet.

I thought it support to single screen local multiplayer (full screen with 2 3d glasses) for the new sony screen, so it should have 3d for single screen MP. Character customization is probably the main factor for the down grade.

After seeing this, I look at the first quote and I can't help wondering if that's true. Patsu seemed to notice a downgrade, instead.

I don't own the game, so please tell me that's not that fugly... :???:
Yeah, those do look pretty bad. What I noticed mainly was how much better the lighting was in UC3 and what looked like an improvement in Drake's model. For some reason I never liked the default Drake in UC2, something about the proportions or his stance seemed off. Drake in UC3 didn't have the same issues for me and at the standard distance I prefer UC3s look. Seems like UC3 is missing a high LOD for closer angles.

ouch ... the MP models are looking like from PS2 .. PS2 vs PS3 ... why so huge downgrade?

http://forums.naughtydog.com/t5/Mul...ty-Dog-Please-Explain-this/td-p/664763/page/6

Because most people only notice it after looking at those screens and not durnig gameplay? Seriously, I'm not sure if these are the normal models or simply down to a bug with the LOD, but from the little MP that I've played, it's fast, easy and very smooth to play. I prefer this kind of compromise (if this is the reason), rather than having better graphics at the expense of gameplay.

It's not just the characters. I think the art style in Co-op Adventure is a little different too. ^_^
They lean towards more painty look. But yes, no biggie as long as the AI poses a good challenge.

Yeah, those do look pretty bad. What I noticed mainly was how much better the lighting was in UC3 and what looked like an improvement in Drake's model. For some reason I never liked the default Drake in UC2, something about the proportions or his stance seemed off. Drake in UC3 didn't have the same issues for me and at the standard distance I prefer UC3s look. Seems like UC3 is missing a high LOD for closer angles.

Yap, the environment is noticeably above UC2. I think some MP models look better than UC2 too. The MP gameplay in general is also more interesting compared to UC2.

Because most people only notice it after looking at those screens and not durnig gameplay? Seriously, I'm not sure if these are the normal models or simply down to a bug with the LOD, but from the little MP that I've played, it's fast, easy and very smooth to play. I prefer this kind of compromise (if this is the reason), rather than having better graphics at the expense of gameplay.

Yeah, most of the time I'm looking at Chloe's butt, so her face doesn't really matter during the game (or something like that >_>). Even so, it's not like one should notice these features at a farther distance anyway. *shrug* I'd rather have them focus on the environment and/or framerate.

If it's Co-op Adventure, you'll notice the characters more clearly in the cutscenes. The change in art direction is quite obvious (More painty look). Then again, within seconds, the player will also realize that Adventure is not a cakewalk. ^_^

If you think SP is difficult, wait till you try MP Hard. The player REALLY needs to have a good sense of where everyone is. In UC2 Co-op, game may become somewhat repetitive/predictable after a week or two. In UC3, the difficulty and dynamic enemy movement makes things quite a bit more challenging. I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to clear them. Can be impossible if teaming with players who charge in without thinking (He will use up all the lives).

I only played Crushing once because I always vote against it. Need to figure out Hard first.

Completed it on Hard, last fight was sooooooooooooo buggy, how in the hell did it pass testing?

For example I would be on the floor bashing away at circle then the camera angle changes and I'm thrown off the edge.

Glad there was no Monster "twist" this time.

Bumbed they've removed the cheats, cannot see myself playing though it again without them, the game isn't that good this time round.

Yeah, most of the time I'm looking at Chloe's butt, so her face doesn't really matter during the game (or something like that >_>).

With a butt like that, does the face even matter? ..... :oops:

:LOL:

EDIT:
Just to add something constructive to the topic: I started playing it on crushing (after more or less completing it twice on hard) and I am amazed to see that the gameplay is quite a lot more challenging due to the baddies taking up different positions or even moving around in location where they are pretty static on hard. Nice. It would have been a bit more annoying to replay the game if all crushing had over hard would be quicker death!

Due to other games though, I probably won't complete this any time soon....

BTW; In regards to the multiplayer. Anyone else having trouble with using a headset? The quality last time between me and my friend (we live in the same town with a very very good internet connection) was shocking.... especially after being used to pretty crisp quality in CoD:BlackOps. The game however was very smooth, so it shouldn't be because of bad connection. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Completed it on Hard, last fight was sooooooooooooo buggy, how in the hell did it pass testing?

For example I would be on the floor bashing away at circle then the camera angle changes and I'm thrown off the edge.

Is this the
escape stage
?

Yes, where you fight Talbot. Note: It's not at the end of the fight it's during, when I am thrown off I get the "hand kicking" QTE

I see. Is it because O is overloaded to handle both Talbot's QTE and regular roll/dodge ? When the game pulls out of cinematic combat moment (aka QTE) while you mash O, Nate may roll off the platform ?

Back